Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

HA CSNS auction (It's been a while for me - Spanish Colonial newp)

It's has been several years since I was last able to add a newp to my small collection of Spanish Colonial 8 Escudos.
This will be the third depiction of Ferdinand VI that I have. It will go along with a later 1757 example that also originates from Peru, and an earlier 1751 example that comes from Chile.
It feels good to be able to move the collection forward again, albeit slowly.
:)

Previously purchased escudos of Ferdinand VI

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - very nice newp and set!

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Wow - very nice newp and set!

I second that! Nice pickup on the1752 NGC 58 Peru 8 escudos

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

An impressive group of coins!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

One of those is my bucket list coin
    Well done

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Spectacular selections. All appear to be choice for the respective grades.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice stuff! I really like the 1734/3.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spanish and Spanish colonial gold are fantastic series to collect. So much variety and so many unappreciated rarities. It feels sort of like US gold must have felt before the Akers books were published in the late 70's. Very few people knew what was really rare, and bargains were everywhere for those in the know.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, nice, nice.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing coins!

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2019 2:35PM

@MrEureka said:
    Spanish and Spanish colonial gold are fantastic series to collect. So much variety and so many unappreciated rarities. It feels sort of like US gold must have felt before the Akers books were published in the late 70's. Very few people knew what was really rare, and bargains were everywhere for those in the know.

For all intents, I'd classify myself as being relatively new to coin collecting, especially with respect to those on this board. I know I don't posses even a tiny fraction of the knowledge that most of the folks here have, but I continue to learn. That said, I do wholeheartedly agree that the Spanish colonial gold coins really are a great area for collectors. So many rulers, countries, denominations, set possibilities, and, as stated, the opportunity still exists to own something that is relatively scarce or even rare, but which doesn't require you to be an ultra wealthy person. This is particularly true when compared in relation to scarce U.S. gold issues. There are times when Spanish Colonial gold collecting still seems sleepy and untapped given we are in 2019, I think less so in the area of silver reales, which are very popular. If you consider the amount of globalization and the expansion of wealth outside the U.S. that has gone on in only the last 25 years, I'd think there would be more demand.

I wish I had deeper resources that would allow me to pursue some of the coinage that is actually truly scarce, which still shows up out there now and again. However, I am the sole income earner in my household, I have two daughters in college, and between tuition, room and board and all the other ancillary costs, it is quite draining on any discretionary expenditures. If I were living a different life, I'd like to think I'd be like boosibri, at least that's how I imagine myself, he's got a great eye for Latin American coinage and he has acquired some really nice coins.

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments.
    John

PS edits for spelling/grammar/context

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

When is your book coming out Andy? Mark me down for a hardbound and autographed copy

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@MrEureka said:

When is your book coming out Andy? Mark me down for a hardbound and autographed copy

The good news is that your copy would be complimentary. The bad news is that it will be 20 years before I know enough to write the book!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.