Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What would explain this?

vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

I have been stacking gold coins for a while, and this year I bought several PCGS slabbed coins off of eBay. I think my cheap Chinese scale is accurate, but I'm concerned about the different weight of some of some of my slabbed coins.

Is this any reason for concern? The weight difference is some coins seems significant. Has anyone else weighed slabbed $20 gold coins?

The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.

Comments

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

You cannot get accurate weight measurements of coins in any type of holder. If your coins have been authenticated by a major company, such as PCGS, then you have little to worry about.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

The weight differences you are seeing might be from different slab generations. Look at the stacking corners of your slabs, some are longer and some are shorter and thicker. Just a dumb guess???

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

First, make sure the slab case does not overlap the "pan." Weigh the coins with the slab upright and see if anything changes. That and the different tolerance of each part of the slab - including the paper - and especially the coin will probably produce what you have observed. :)

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

" different tolerance of each part of the slab - including the paper" Yeah, what Insider2 said.
    Also noticed 3 prong gasket vs solid gasket.

• Options

Thanks for the responses, especially Insider2 & ifthevamzarockin. The heavier coins have a solid gasket vs. 3 prong for the lighter. That seems to account for the difference, although the over 2 gm difference concerned me. That seal must be solid!

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vplite Love your gold!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weighing in slabs will not give you true results... too much variation as stated above....I would not worry since they are slabbed. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MrMonkeySwag96MrMonkeySwag96 Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2019 2:13PM

Rather than weighing your Saint, how about using the PCGS app to verify your slab?

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    @vplite Love your gold!

Thanks. > @MrMonkeySwag96 said:

Rather than weighing your Saint, how about using the PCGS app to verify your slab?

Do you mean checking the certification # at PCGS? There have been discussions on this board about those being faked, although as RickO said, it is usually a reliable authentication.

The different weights concerned me.

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vplite said:

@Hemispherical said:
    @vplite Love your gold!

Thanks. > @MrMonkeySwag96 said:

Do you mean checking the certification # at PCGS? There have been discussions on this board about those being faked, although as RickO said, it is usually a reliable authentication.

The different weights concerned me.

Yes - he meant check the cert number for the coin on the PCGS site. You should be able to verify with indentifying marks on your coin in hand to the picture from their site. Depending upon the quality of the picture you may not necessarily see every mark you can see in hand/with magnifying glass but enough to be sure.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file