Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Newp - Speyer (German States) taler

Excited about a new addition from Heritage auction today.

1770 Speyer Taler
NGC MS-63+
Issue is a one year type with a mintage of 5,000 pieces struck to celebrate the accession of the Bishop August Philip of Limburg Stirum after the death of Franz Christoph of Hutten zu Stolzenberg.

The piece will complement a 1/2 taler and medal with the same date.

1770 Speyer 1/2 Taler
PCGS AU-58
5,000 total mintage

1770 Speyer Sede Vacante Medal
NGC MS-61
46mm, 36.42 g, By A. Schäffer. Haas 560; Zepernick 252. Reported 300 total minted.

Speyer is a small town of 50,000 located in Rhineland-Palatinate Germany (SW region) with approximately 50,000 inhabitants. Located beside the Rhine river, Speyer is one of Germany's oldest cities, dating to 10 BC with the establishment of a Roman camp. There is mention of a bishop dating back to 346. The Romanesque style Speyer Cathedral, with its foundation started in 1030, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Tombs of eight Holy Roman Emperors and German kings are found beneath the high altar.

Speyer cathedral:

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

A magnificent suite!

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

beautiful!!! Love it

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins - you got sun faces, wildmen, Athena (?), flying cherubs, bees I think!

Kinda fun to look at the differences between half and full taler.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on your newp, B. Nice coins all. And nice write up. Reminds me of Z's old write ups back when he was busier but more motivated.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EVillageProwler said:
    Congrats on your newp, B. Nice coins all. And nice write up. Reminds me of Z's old write ups back when he was busier but more motivated.

There is very little interest in Talers on this forum, hence the lack of write ups.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2019 8:43AM

@Zohar - Really appreciate your posts (and your website). I’m sure others do too. I’ll also add that even if what you collect might be different than many on the forum, how you collect and evaluate purchases is very helpful.

By the way, same goes for EVP, worldcoinguy and many others.

Thanks,
    Bob

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Many thanks all. I have to agree with EVP and Bob; Zohar's write ups are as much an attraction as the pictures. I like seeing a bit of historical context - Z's writeups on the talers from the noble houses in particular were quite interesting to me.

@Bob - This designer sure worked in quite a bit of symbolism. I suppose if Speyer is going to produce one taler per century, you might as well pack as much design as possible onto the piece. I wonder if the cherub on the left is supposed to be holding the scales of justice, or is that me seeing the symbolism through an American viewpoint?

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@worldcoinguy - read the obverse legend; it suggests that the scales are Scales of Justice, which is a Roman notion before it became American.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com