Home Sports Talk

Ever give up on your favorite team?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something egregious like firing announcer Ernie Harwell or worse, finding out that your favorite player is a spousal abuser. Maybe your team hiring a dog killer like Michael Vick or your team owner getting hummers in an Asian spa.

What will it take you to kiss your favorite team goodbye.

Comments

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I quit the Tigers when Harwell was canned by Bo Schembechler. Came back a bit when Mike Illitch hired him back, but the magic was gone and never the same.

As well I was a UofA basketball fan when Lute Olsen was coaching. First appearance of Sean Miller gave me a stomach ache. My instincts were correct. Not sure why he is on the outside of a prison.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never!

"You got to dance with who brung you, swing with who swung you,
    Life ain't no forty-yard dash, be in it for the long run"

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I quit the Lakers when they dumped Shaq and kept Kobe the Rapist.

I also quit the Chargers when they left San Diego.

Steve

Team leaving town is pretty bad. Glad you guys told them fongool on a taxpayer funded stadium.

• ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

I quit the Marlins with this new ownership. They paid stupid $ thru the nose, and then dumped a ton of talent in Stanton, Yelich, Dee Gordon, Ozuna, and Realmuto. Someone would have to explain the point of paying the premium to me.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I took a break from the Twins when they released Harmon Killebrew.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    I quit the Tigers when Harwell was canned by Bo Schembechler. Came back a bit when Mike Illitch hired him back, but the magic was gone and never the same.

Trust you to give up on a team over an announcer :D

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

edited April 27, 2019 6:35AM

@bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

Trust you to give up on a team over an announcer :D

Ernie was in his early 70's and as good as ever. A news conference was held where he was to announce his retirement. When questioned by the press, he acknowledged that the resignation was not voluntary. He said that he could not lie to his friends.

City went crazy. Team Tom Monaghan owned Dominoes pizza and citywide sales at the chain dropped by 50% for the next week.

Fortunately the other pizza guy bought the team not long after.

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭

In my sport it's never over until you lose in the NCAA's. Remember 2014?

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Not once.....simple.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2019 1:23PM

I just gave up on the Philadelphia Flyers because of the Kate Smith thing. I have followed them since the days of Bobby Clarke, Bill Barber and Dave Shultz >:) when her “God Bless America” was a good luck charm. Now they have taken down her statue that was near their arena and banned any mention of her because of two songs she recorded over 80 years ago. One of the songs was a tongue in cheek thing that Paul Robson recorded. No matter. PC rules!

The Yankees did the same thing with their seventh inning stretch, but I hated they any way so it was not change in status. >:)

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

I never have and never will. Even when the outcome of a game or season is logically determined, I always hold out hope. I can't help it.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quit the team, no. I did almost turn off the tv when the score hit 28-3. Awfully glad I didn't

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope, the closest or angriest I’ve ever been at the Patriots though was after the they lost the 2011 Super Bowl, I was furious at them for the entire offseason and at the start of the following season. In 2011 I stopped watching Regular Season Red Sox games after their epic 11 game lead collapse at the hands of Francona losing control and allowing his guys to eat fried chicken and drink beer in the clubhouse during their poor play while Pedroia their supposed “Leader” kept his mouth shut. Now it’s pretty much checking in on them but I don’t watch 90% of their regular games.

@Coinstartled said:
    Something egregious like firing announcer Ernie Harwell or worse, finding out that your favorite player is a spousal abuser. Maybe your team hiring a dog killer like Michael Vick or your team owner getting hummers in an Asian spa.

Why would any of this effect how you root for your team? It’s personnel not the franchise that’s doing stuff that might be offensive

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stopped being a Dallas Cowboys fan...lemme think what year it was...hmm...oh that's right, i never was one. 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

edited April 28, 2019 11:18AM

@perkdog said:

@Coinstartled said:

Why would any of this effect how you root for your team? It’s personnel not the franchise that’s doing stuff that might be offensive

Kind of begs the question as to why we have a favorite team anyway. Detroit in the 1960's most of the players came up through the farm system and spent most or all of their career a Tiger. It was your guys against the world. The world being Baltimore, Cleveland, New York and if you were lucky, St Louis.

Today you root for a logo and maybe a natty uniform. Lakers spend $40,000,000 on LeBron and suddenly he is the most important man in the community. Same with Bryce Harper in Philly (or wherever he landed.) Same with paying off college basketball players. Sean Miller hands $100,000 to land 7 foot DeAndre Ayton and I stand and salute?

I could process all of that as a twelve year kid. As an adult it is moronic.

@Coinstartled ..I’m from Massachusetts and the Pats/Red Sox are my teams, I don’t get into the personal aspects of the players and management outside of the decisions that make the team better or worse. I keep it simple and love to talk smack with people that root for different teams, and talk about the team with mutual fans. it’s a break from everyday duties in my opinion.

@perkdog said:
    @Coinstartled ..I’m from Massachusetts and the Pats/Red Sox are my teams, I don’t get into the personal aspects of the players and management outside of the decisions that make the team better or worse. I keep it simple and love to talk smack with people that root for different teams, and talk about the team with mutual fans. it’s a break from everyday duties in my opinion.

That sums it up quite well in my view.

Being a sports fan is all about fun and entertainment. Always was and always will be.

It's sort of whatever turns ya on for enjoyment. Some people spend thousands of dollars on equipment and travel expense, trek to some isolated area somewhere just to catch perhaps ten dollars worth of fish. I know because I've done that a few times, and always had a good time doing it.

So why not? Your team wins a championship, celebrate a nice parade with friends, get bragging rights for a year, and overall have a good time.

But instead in their free time, if anyone prefers to be a bird watcher or something else other than a sports fan, that's okay to. :)

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Quit the team, no. I did almost turn off the tv when the score hit 28-3. Awfully glad I didn't

I walk away and do something else when it's lopsided.

Come back an hour later.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gave up on NFL

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

edited April 28, 2019 1:10PM

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Being a sports fan is all about fun and entertainment. Always was and always will be.

It's sort of whatever turns ya on for enjoyment. Some people spend thousands of dollars on equipment and travel expense, trek to some isolated area somewhere just to catch perhaps ten dollars worth of fish. I know because I've done that a few times, and always had a good time doing it.

So why not? Your team wins a championship, celebrate a nice parade with friends, get bragging rights for a year, and overall have a good time.

But instead in their free time, if anyone prefers to be a bird watcher or something else other than a sports fan, that's okay to. :)

Ten bucks worth of fish would,have been a good trip. ;)

Was up in Canada several decades ago. About 8 of us planed a shore lunch where the lodge send you out with everything you need to prepare lunch but the fish. With 4 boats and 8 fisherman we met up at 11 am and not one of us had a fish. Nothing, bubkis.

I stayed out another 45 minutes with my friend and still nothing. A nearby Indian, fishing with a kid, had a large pike. I offered him $4 and he took it.

The fish fried up pretty well.

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Ten bucks worth of fish would,have been a good trip. ;)

Was up in Canada several decades ago. About 8 of us planed a shore lunch where the lodge send you out with everything you need to prepare lunch but the fish. With 4 boats and 8 fisherman we met up at 11 am and not one of us had a fish. Nothing, bubkis.

I stayed out another 45 minutes with my friend and still nothing. A nearby Indian, fishing with a kid, had a large pike. I offered him $4 and he took it.

The fish fried up pretty well.

My most "rustic" fishing ventures was around four or five times driving up to Pulaski NY when the salmon were running in early spring. If it was too crowded at the top spots, we'd hike off into the wilderness and fish at some less traveled streams. Sometimes even cast off of Lake Ontario to see what happened.

The fishing wasn't always that great, but the beer and the laughs were always plentiful. :)

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

My avatar has nothing to do with my team loyalty. Rebecca is there to stay. And I am a Cowboy fan (diehard) forever....even with Jerry there. :s

• MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

I have been known to turn off a Yankees game, only to turn it back on ten minutes later. That is the extent of my giving up on my favorite team.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Took me a while to come back to the Boys after Jerry fired Tom Landry. Still hurts, that one does.

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭

@Staircoins said:
    Took me a while to come back to the Boys after Jerry fired Tom Landry. Still hurts, that one does.

Perfect example of how the fans weren't so much mad that he got fired, it was the way he got fired.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars