Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Iconic 80's

80's era appear to continue their march upward in popularity.
I find myself searching more and more cards from my childhood collecting years.

Most iconic list?

1. 84 donruss Mattingly
  2. 80 Henderson
  3. 82 topps ripken
  4. 85 mcgwire
  5. 86 canseco

Comments

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't forget the 89 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

86 topps traded tiffany Bonds has become pretty iconic.

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

I agree with the above. For those of us totally immersed in baseball cards in the mid-80's, I would also offer that the 84 Topps Mattingly and Strawberry were huge. Everybody wanted those cards in the mid-80's. Same with the 85 Topps Clemens.
    kevin

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would also throw in the 1985 Topps Dwight Gooden.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

For Strawberry, the 83TT always seems to be overlooked.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

89 Fleer Billy Ripken FF

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2019 11:27AM

Short lived, but at one time the 85 Donruss Eric Davis was hot.

I have stacks of guys that didn't do as good as I hoped...
    Matt Williams
    Mark Grace
    Greg Jefferies
    Wally Joyner
    Will Clark
    etc...

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

I was gonna mention this card as well. At one point, in 1987 I believe, this was the hottest card going.

@DotStore said:

Matt Williams
    Mark Grace
    Greg Jefferies
    Wally Joyner
    Will Clark
    etc...

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

@AFLfan said:
    89 Fleer Billy Ripken FF

That was a "fun" card... I used to sell boxes with a guarantee of at least one "FF" card in the box. If they didn't find one, I would give them one from my display case. The buyer had to open the box in front of my little brother for verification. every box I sold had the "FF" card in it...

• Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

I particularly like the 1988 Topps Baseball set. It was the first set that I ever actually completed. I am currently working on having many of those cards autographed.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

1984 Topps Traded Dwight Gooden XRC.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

1984 fleer update clemens, Puckett and gooden

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

I had a conversation with a friend recently about during the boom in the mid 80s that if you had to pick 1 card that if you had 100 of and had to sell them as fast as possible what would you pick. We both agreed that as hot as mattingly gooden and others were that the 86 donruss canseco was the hottest of all at its peak. So excluding the griffey (were talking mid 80s range say 83-87) do you agree with our conclusion?

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Albertdidit said:
    I had a conversation with a friend recently about during the boom in the mid 80s that if you had to pick 1 card that if you had 100 of and had to sell them as fast as possible what would you pick. We both agreed that as hot as mattingly gooden and others were that the 86 donruss canseco was the hottest of all at its peak. So excluding the griffey (were talking mid 80s range say 83-87) do you agree with our conclusion?

If you're saying these sales were also occurring between 83-87, then you could certainly make a case for the 86 Canseco RR. However, at it's peak demand in 1998, I don't think any card manufactured in the 83-87 period was ever selling for more, and more quickly, then or since, than the 85 Topps Olympic Team McGwire.

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:
    However, at it's peak demand in 1998, I don't think any card manufactured in the 83-87 period was ever selling for more, and more quickly, then or since, than the 85 Topps Olympic Team McGwire.

Agreed. 1985 Topps was "junk wax" in 1997, selling for roughly $20/wax box. A year later, those boxes skyrocketed. I remember getting a Mark Murphy mailer in 1998 where the listing price for wax boxes was somewhere in the neighborhood of $200.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:

@Albertdidit said:

If you're saying these sales were also occurring between 83-87, then you could certainly make a case for the 86 Canseco RR. However, at it's peak demand in 1998, I don't think any card manufactured in the 83-87 period was ever selling for more, and more quickly, then or since, than the 85 Topps Olympic Team McGwire.

To clarify the scenario i laid out was in regard to actually selling them in the 80s not 1998 which i agree with you about mcgwire

• Options

@Albertdidit said:

Actually the 86 Donruss Canseco was at its peak in 1990.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

I also remember the 86 Canseco peaking in around 1990. I seem to remember it being about $125.00

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawnmowerman said:
    1983 Topps Wade Boggs

In 1987, at 20 years old, that's the set and the card that got me back into collecting.

At 22 in 1989 I was out again until I got interested in selling stuff on eBay around 1999. Haven't left again since.

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

In 1985, I was so proud of my MINT condition '85 Topps Eric Davis RC.(Beckett BV $20.00...give or take $5)
    Took it to school; somehow bent it in the middle & severely creased it. I was heartbroken 😪
    I should put Davis on my PSA 10 want list 👍

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. 1989 Griffey UD SR
    2. 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco RR
    3. 1985 Topps McGwire Olyp. RC
    4. 1986 Topps Traded Bary Bonds RC
    5. 1987 Donruss McGwire RR. (how many times did you think you hit the McGwire but it turned out to be Terry Steinbach?
  • Options

@CommemKing said:
    5. 1987 Donruss McGwire RR. (how many times did you think you hit the McGwire but it turned out to be Terry Steinbach?

Oh wow, this happened to me a few times until I learned not to fall for the headfake... that brings back memories...

• Options

@DotStore said:

@CommemKing said:

Oh wow, this happened to me a few times until I learned not to fall for the headfake... that brings back memories...

Yes, that brings back memories.

>

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still have a Pavlovian response to that bright orange color they used in the name boxes of '87 Donruss Rated Rookies. Every time I'm thumbing through a pack and I see that orange I get excited for a split second until I see that it's Jerry Browne or Duane Ward.

Arthur

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

I think the other interesting angle on this question is what 1980's cards were iconic then vs which ones, looking back, are now iconic. Because I think the 86 Topps Traded Bonds and the 87 Topps McGwire weren't remotely "iconic" during the 1980's. They became much more coveted/desirable after the fact, especially the Bonds in the last decade or so. But as far as 1980's cards that were iconic in the 1980's, the Mattingly (s), Strawberry, Griffey Jr., Clemens, Canseco, and Gooden were far hotter during that decade.
    kevin

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

@tulsaboy said:
    I think the other interesting angle on this question is what 1980's cards were iconic then vs which ones, looking back, are now iconic. Because I think the 86 Topps Traded Bonds and the 87 Topps McGwire weren't remotely "iconic" during the 1980's. They became much more coveted/desirable after the fact, especially the Bonds in the last decade or so. But as far as 1980's cards that were iconic in the 1980's, the Mattingly (s), Strawberry, Griffey Jr., Clemens, Canseco, and Gooden were far hotter during that decade.
    kevin

I started actual collecting of cards (retaining, sorting and preserving) in 1987. Eric Davis was a beast that year and his 85 rookies were super coveted by everyone I knew. Then McGwire went off, and the 85T and 87D were all the rage. The 87T was big too, just didn’t measure to the “scarce” 87D RR. That RR card is still my favorite card from all of 1987. Second being the Seitzer 87F. The latter was THE 1987 Card to get in my small circle of friends.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DotStore said:

Matt Williams
    Mark Grace
    Greg Jefferies
    Wally Joyner
    Will Clark
    etc...

@DotStore nailed this. These guys along with many others player that graced the Beckett Monthly
    price guide. During the 80's and early 90's if you said Davis, Gooden, Strawberry, Mattingly,
    Grace, Joyner, Clark, just to name a few , would not be in the HoF they would have you committed.

• Options

there were also even lesser known names who were huge for a time.
    Joe Charbeneau
    Ron Kittle
    Rickey Jordan
    Kevin Seitzer