Home Sports Talk
Options

Did your team get Eli Manning or Tony Romo through the NFL draft ?

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 17, 2019 4:19AM in Sports Talk

Or any other thoughts ?

Comments

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2019 5:51AM

The Redskins did great with the 15th overall pick getting QB Haskins. They had to take him, had to roll the dice on him -- their other two starting QB's have broken legs. Alex Smith will never play again IMHO.

I was not happy with them giving up two second rounders to move into the top of the first and pick DE Sweat -- It's a huge gamble. I would rather they keep both 2nds and see who fell to them. Their 2nd rounder in 2020 could be a really high 2nd since they suck so bad. I hear Sweat has some sort of heart condition and has a bit of an attitude problem. In other words a dice roll. I would rather have two really good players than one gamble.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope so, Vikes needed interior O Line help. Got a Center/Guard to go with the Center/Guard the got two years ago. Jury is still out on him.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patriots picked a WR, which they needed. I am very happy with their choice. N'Keal Harry is not a speedy, burner receiver so I have seen some fans upset from that perspective. But he is a playmaker and great at YAC. He also is supposed to be a good route runner and hard worker. Harry was picked to be an immediate impact player at a position sorely needed.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eagles took an OT with their first pick which was a logical choice to help protect the upcoming season's MVP Carson Wentz.

We shall see how this OT pans out.

• Options

Kyler Murray, a 5' 10" quarterback, was the first pick of the draft.

Is there a new NFL rule whereby a QB can use a stepladder?

• Options

The Giants made the correct first round selection taking a quarterback. Although the pick seems to be getting a little bit criticized out there by some pundits.

I don't have an opinion yet about this QB. But at least the Giants are now finally trying to rebuild a team the right way.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

I loved that BB drafted a big WR and tonight should be fun with NE holding two 2nds & three 3rds.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m liking the big WR as well, if D Thomas pans out that’s two big physical targets for Brady 👍

• Options

I’m wondering if BB will try to trade for Rosen since AZ took Murray?

• Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I’m wondering if BB will try to trade for Rosen since AZ took Murray?

Rosen was traded to Miami.

• Options

I like what BB has done so far and I'm still holding out hope for a TE that can catch the ball. Maybe even call the Eagles about Agholor for a late 4th or 5th.

• Options

Thought this was pretty funny, DK Metcalf was considered one of the better WRs in the draft but didn't get drafted until the third round.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Eagles took an OT with their first pick which was a logical choice to help protect Carson Wentz

How? Will he be sitting on the bench next to him while they both watch another QB take the season reps? I guess having somebody to watch your blind side while your back is to the crowd is a good thing. Especially in Philadelphia 🤣🤣

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2019 2:02PM

No.

Rams had 31st pick, and traded way down. They had 4 picks in first three rounds.

Biggest need to replace DT, stat.

They waited until round 4, pick # 167. :#

• Options

@lawnmowerman said:

@stevek said:
    Eagles took an OT with their first pick which was a logical choice to help protect Carson Wentz

How? Will he be sitting on the bench next to him while they both watch another QB take the season reps? I guess having somebody to watch your blind side while your back is to the crowd is a good thing. Especially in Philadelphia 🤣🤣

I'm expecting all you Wentz bashers, after the 2019 season MVP Carson Wentz leads the Eagles to their second Super Bowl championship in the past three years, to show-up behind the woodshed to accept your just due punishment.

Please try not to holler too loud as the pain is being administered, as the loud noise may disturb the animals. 🙀

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bills had another solid draft. With a boat load of new free agents they’ve redid the OL, added talent at WR and TE and picked up some new blood on the DL. With the leagues #2 defense last year I predict a 10-11 win season, something I never do. If Josh Allen is the real deal it’s an exciting time to be a Bills fan.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

The Eagles did everything right in this draft. With their first three picks they took offensive players to make Carson Wentz even better. And they took a QB in round 5 who had a lot of playing time in college, so hopefully can be coached up to become a capable backup.

My grade for this Eagles draft: A+

• Options

@stevek said:
    And they took a QB in round 5 who had a lot of playing time in college, so hopefully can be coached up to become a capable starter when the team realizes they should have kept Nick Foles.

I think you meant to say this Steve 😂

• Options

@lawnmowerman said:

@stevek said:
    And they took a QB in round 5 who had a lot of playing time in college, so hopefully can be coached up to become a capable starter when the team realizes they should have kept Nick Foles.

If the Eagles go 2-14, but both wins are against the Cowboys, i'd still consider it to be a good season.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Thought this was pretty funny, DK Metcalf was considered one of the better WRs in the draft but didn't get drafted until the third round.

I saw that and it is nothing short of bewildering facts 😂

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am very happy with what the redskins did in the draft. Haskins and Sweat will both start right away. McLaurin and Harmon look like they have a chance to start with a weak receiver group. Bryce Love was a stud rb when healthy. They also added a few OL that look good. For the first time in years I have no issues with what the Skins did in the draft.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    The Eagles did everything right in this draft. With their first three picks they took offensive players to make Carson Wentz even better. And they took a QB in round 5 who had a lot of playing time in college, so hopefully can be coached up to become a capable backup.

Gotta luv ya Steve...….the eternal optimus!

• Options

@stevek said:

@lawnmowerman said:

@stevek said:

If the Eagles go 2-14, but both wins are against the Cowboys, i'd still consider it to be a good season.

If the Cowboys go 14-2 with both losses to the Eagles I will be just as happy. :)

• Options

When the Vikings parted ways with Matt Kalil who was the 4th overall pick in 2012, I was irritated at their problems on the O-Line (still am!) and took a look at the last 12 years or so of their drafts.

I was surprised at how few guys made any kind of significant contribution to the team. I took a look at the other teams in the NFC North and found they didn't seem do much better. Then I looked at the Patriots, Rams and Saints to see if they were doing things better, not really.

I found that almost every team got at least one good player out of the draft each year, a guy who was a starter for 5 or more years. If a team got 3 players that even made a significant contribution,that was pretty rare.

This was a pretty quick look, but it seemed pretty consistent, first rounders usually were good, although the teams stuck with them (I assume) longer than they should have if they were "busts".

Second round guys often were good or even all pro types, but after that there were a LOT of guys who lasted 2 or 3 years, played in 30-50 games,and were gone. Of course a lot of guys that might have been great got injured.

It's fun to watch the draft and see who the team takes to fill their needs (the whole "best player available" is a crock most of the time), but to expect more than 2 of them to be starters is most likely not going to happen.

For my Vikings; they have had 9 first round picks from 2012 until 2016, 3 have been to Pro Bowls and 5 have been busts, injured and/or are playing elsewhere, 1 is a solid starter. In 2013 they had three picks in the top 29 and only one was a success!

They have had only 2 second rounders in those years as they like to trade up into the first round, 1 of them is a solid starter and the other is a good back up.

Other than 2015 when they hit on a "project" in the third round and got Stephon Diggs in the sixth, I don't see ANY players who did much except be back up type guys. The next year was a disaster with only one guy picked who is playing and he doesn't start. Going back further 2009-10-11 three players drafted in the three years combined were good/great additions to our team.

The jury is still out on 2017 and 2018, three of their four top picks have had serious injuries, two with major knee repairs.

I was surprised. I am hoping that their first round guy this year (Center/Guard) is a good to great player, we sure need to "fix" the offensive line, after that anything more is gravy......I guess.

Any thoughts on your teams record? Any thoughts on my "findings"?

I guess we need one of the stat guys to crunch the numbers!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

Perhaps he'll even transform into the Prime Optimus.

• Options
    edited April 29, 2019 9:06AM

Although I would have liked to see a tight end and/or second wide receiver drafted by the Pats,overall, I liked the group that Belichick brought in.
    They're biggest need was adding talent & youth to the WR position and the kid they took at 32 looks like he might be that guy that the Pats seem to never be able to find after Moss left. I'm really hoping Brady puts in the extra work with this kid Harry this offseason. He has a chance to get quite a few targets thrown his way without Gronk and a few others not returning.
    Perk mentioned how great it would be if Thomas works out to have two big WRs on the outside for once and I agree. It might even be three WRs instead of two after Josh Gordon signed his FA tender last week. That move could be Gordon signing while knowing if/when he might be able to play again or that could just be Gordon trying to lock in anything he can salary-wise before he gets hit with his suspension. Unfortunately we may not get that answer for quite awhile. Between all of the training camp cuts and possible trades,we might still see another wideout or tight end brought in.

Last draft's 1st round focus was on beefing up the offensive line & run game and I think this draft added to that. NE grabbed Alabama RB Damien Harris in the 3rd then added two more offensive linemen, a tackle in the 3rd and guard in the 4th. The Pats have had success drafting for the OL in the mid rounds over the years so its likely that at least one or both may have starter potential within a year or two. BB used the 23rd pick in the 2018 draft on Georgia tackle Isaiah Wynn who ended up on IR for the season before it even started so getting him back is like adding an extra 1st round pick. As Brady gets older I have no problem with adding to the OL and RB positions in order to take some wear and tear off Tom.

Its tough to rate BB's CB pick in the 2nd because of his mostly miss success rate at that position. The kid was expected to go 2nd/3rd round so he wasn't considered a reach but he's 6'-4" and would give the Pats two long press corners(w/Gilmore) when they want to play man defense. I've read that if he can turn into a starter it would let current starting CB Jason Mccourty get more snaps at safety with his brother when they're in Nickel or Dime. Like Isaiah Wynn above,last draft's 2nd round pick CB Duke Dawson went on IR in the preseason and he should be back as well.

From what I've read this weekend,their 3rd round pick Michigan DE/OLB Chase Winovich is considered the best pick the Pats made over the weekend. Most analysts thought his versatility gave him the best chance to start right away from this Pats draft class. Between Winovich and 2018 5th round ILB Ja'Whaun Bentley who started 2 of the first 3 games last season before going to IR,the LB position looks like it might have two potential starters added to the veteran group that just helped win a SB.

The biggest unknown from this Pats draft class is can Jarrett Stidham develop into a potential "replacement" for Brady? I doubt we ever see any QB be able to replace what Brady brings to this team so when I say "replace" I mean can he possibly be the starter when Tom does retire? Between Danny Etling getting drafted in the 7th in 2018 and Stidham just taken in the 4th probably,its likely that Brian Hoyer's days as the backup QB in NE are over. I doubt either QB has the potential that Jimmy Garoppolo had so I honestly think at best,these two probably develop to the point that BB might be able to deal one or both at some point for a pick higher than they were drafted or bring back a player with potential.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

You mean like you? 🤣

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

You mean like you? 🤣

Nah, I'm more of a Silverbolt kinda guy.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@stevek said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

You mean like you? 🤣

Nah, I'm more of a Silverbolt kinda guy.

Pasted:

Silverbolt's character is defined by his extreme fear of heights and by his refusal to bow to it. He constantly struggles to project the image of a brave, determined soldier to hide his fear from others. Optimus Prime named him leader of the Aerialbots in the hopes that worrying about them would give him something else to focus on besides his own phobia. This has proven true and, not surprisingly, the mature, responsible Silverbolt makes an excellent commander.

He can combine with his fellow Aerialbots to form Superion. In the future of some timelines, he will join forces with other veterans of the Great War to form Magnaboss, the final Autobot combiner.

i have to keep Googling your posts to follow them.

Let us know when they form Magnaboss. 🤣

• Options

@stevek said:

@lawnmowerman said:

@stevek said:

I wouldn't expect anything less. I'd feel the same if it was reversed.

• Options

@lawnmowerman said:

@stevek said:

@lawnmowerman said:

@stevek said:

I wouldn't expect anything less. I'd feel the same if it was reversed.

Of course the ultimate pleasure would be the Eagles beating the Cowboys twice in the regular season while making the playoffs, and then beating them again in the playoffs.

If that happens, the joyful emojis will be quite abundant that day in my posts. B)

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

As the only resident vocal Giant fan (I think) I am happy on all fronts. The signs were there since the offseason began. Dave Gettleman first addressed the media and said he and Eli Manning would have a ‘tough conversation’ to begin the offseason. My guess it was about a pay cut. And my guess is Eli refused making it impossible to keep Landon Collins. Getting the O-Line better was a necessity and trading for Zeitler from Cleveland for talented but oft injured Vernon was a great move. Knowing you need to draft a young QB eventually (and now more immediately since you can’t go into next year with Eli unsigned and no plausible replacement), priority one became moving Odell Beckham - super talented but more than likely a problem for Eli/Jones this year and potentially a problem for the development of a new guy going forward (we’ll find out through Mayfield over the next 2-3 years). The Giants trade him for the safety to replace the lost Collins in young talented Jabril Peppers, the 17 pick in 2019 and the return of the 3rd round pick lost in the Vernon-Zeitler deal. So Zeitler and Peppers added and 12 picks in the 2019 draft. Love it.

Draft day comes and I’m thinking we’re taking Josh Allen. I don’t watch ANY college football so I know nothing other than the highlights shown and comments offered. Giants select Daniel Jones. Obviously, that’s the end of Eli and it makes me sad; he is a great Giant still and I hope he rallies for one more great season. I wish he’d taken a pay cut. But I embrace it. And I like the size, strength, mobility and space between the ears of this new kid. After that, the Giants had the draft I had hoped. Defense, defense, defense. By all rights, the kid from Clemson taken at 17 is a beast and they traded up and took the best rated and first corner off the board at the end of round one. They gave up the 2nd founders to move up. They drafted a skilled upside pass rusher in the third round, too, from Old Dominion and a corner from Notre Dame who’s supposed to be decent. The blocking WR and OL picks late have talent and upside, too. They ended the draft having taken three players in the first round including a quarterback for the future and seven of the ten players taken were defense. Depending on how things go, Jones may get a year to sit and learn and another drafts worth of talent to have around him entering his first year under center. As for the pick of Jones, I am more than happy to put my faith in Gettleman who has made massive improvements where needed most over one season. And used the first three rounds of last years draft and produced two excellent defenders in Lorenzo Carter and BJ Hill in the third, the best performing offensive rookie lineman, Wil Hernandez, in the 2nd and rookie of the year Saquan Barkley in the first.

He is the future and will take a lot of pressure off Jones especially as the line improves. I hope the Giants add another piece or two but overall I am very excited.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Won't know until mid-season how the Cowboys did. I'm hoping Dak will take his play to the next level. He will have to do that before the Cowboys will be a threat in the playoffs.

• Options

@MLBdays said:
    My Giants got the next bust .... Dave Gettleman ought to be charged with gross negligence.

I just checked out the Giants picks from 2007 until now, holy schneikies batman! 2011 and 2012 (other than Amukamara) were DISASATERS!

AMAZING how bad they have picked. The guys who were good, Pierre-Paul, Amukamara, Beckham (blech) no longer on team. Landon Collins seems to be the only All-Star they have picked up until Barkley last year.

I thought the Vikings had some poor drafting years, but you guys are worse.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@MLBdays said:
    My Giants got the next bust .... Dave Gettleman ought to be charged with gross negligence.

I just checked out the Giants picks from 2007 until now, holy schneikies batman! 2011 and 2012 (other than Amukamara) were DISASATERS!

AMAZING how bad they have picked. The guys who were good, Pierre-Paul, Amukamara, Beckham (blech) no longer on team. Landon Collins seems to be the only All-Star they have picked up until Barkley last year.

Just recognize that last year was the FIRST year of new GM Dave Gettleman and all prior picks were made by former GM Jerry Reese.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@MLBdays said:

Just recognize that last year was the FIRST year of new GM Dave Gettleman and all prior picks were made by former GM Jerry Reese.

Had no idea. My only real interest is the local team.

In looking over the ratings of this years draft, Gettleman is not receiving high marks. Time will tell.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@MLBdays said:

In looking over the ratings of this years draft, Gettleman is not receiving high marks. Time will tell.

He was labeled a dope after last years draft, too. Then the season was played and it turns out he grabbed the best player in the draft in ROY Saquan Barkley and the best OL.

Gettleman has no relationship with anyone in the media. In NY, it can be lethal to a career. Average Giants fans are split. I have been a huge fan of Eli Manning since draft day and never wavered. He has been everything I could have hoped for. Simple fact is that many of these same guys thought Johnny Manziel was a lock for stardom and said that Robert Gallery would be the best LT in football for a decade on his draft day.

DG addressed long standing problems for the Giants quickly - namely he turned over the worst o-line in football - completely - in one calendar year and it started to pay dividends over the second half last year. What he was killed for last year was that Eli Manning needed replacing and not drafting a QB (for me, only Mayfield looked impressive in year one) was a mistake and this year he takes one...and gets blasted for doing so by all those same people.

@JoeBanzai

This isn’t me going after you; just me offering my opinions on the matter. As I already said, I don’t watch college football. Maybe all these guys suck. But DG took a lot of it last year and I thought the Giants looked much improved with a new coach and GM last year (though the record did not reflect it much).

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@MLBdays said:

He was labeled a dope after last years draft, too. Then the season was played and it turns out he grabbed the best player in the draft in ROY Saquan Barkley and the best OL.

Gettleman has no relationship with anyone in the media. In NY, it can be lethal to a career. Average Giants fans are split. I have been a huge fan of Eli Manning since draft day and never wavered. He has been everything I could have hoped for. Simple fact is that many of these same guys thought Johnny Manziel was a lock for stardom and said that Robert Gallery would be the best LT in football for a decade on his draft day.

DG addressed long standing problems for the Giants quickly - namely he turned over the worst o-line in football - completely - in one calendar year and it started to pay dividends over the second half last year. What he was killed for last year was that Eli Manning needed replacing and not drafting a QB (for me, only Mayfield looked impressive in year one) was a mistake and this year he takes one...and gets blasted for doing so by all those same people.

@JoeBanzai

This isn’t me going after you; just me offering my opinions on the matter. As I already said, I don’t watch college football. Maybe all these guys suck. But DG took a lot of it last year and I thought the Giants looked much improved with a new coach and GM last year (though the record did not reflect it much).

And I am not going after you or your team either.

I didn't realize (or remember) that Manning wasn't drafted by the Giants, they drafted Philip Rivers and traded (?) him for Manning. Good thing you won a couple of SB's with Eli, or that trade would be being ripped!

I am simply not a big sports fan as I used to be. I still follow the local teams, but the joy is gone for me now. :-(

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@MLBdays said:

@JoeBanzai

I didn't realize (or remember) that Manning wasn't drafted by the Giants, they drafted Philip Rivers and traded (?) him for Manning. Good thing you won a couple of SB's with Eli, or that trade would be being ripped!

I am simply not a big sports fan as I used to be. I still follow the local teams, but the joy is gone for me now. :-(

That’s not really accurate. The Chargers took Manning solely because they knew the Giants wanted him. Eli had made it clear he would not play for the Chargers and the Giants were hoping they would just pass. Instead, the Chargers picked Eli, traded Eli to the Giants and asked the Giants to take Philip Rivers with their pick (whom the Chargers wanted all along). Rumor has it the Giants were actually about to take Ben Roethlesberger when the Chargers called and a deal for Eli was worked out. It was a good gamble for the Chargers as those future picks became Shawn Merriman and the other LaDanian Tomlinson.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@MLBdays said:

@JoeBanzai

That’s not really accurate. The Chargers took Manning solely because they knew the Giants wanted him. Eli had made it clear he would not play for the Chargers and the Giants were hoping they would just pass. Instead, the Chargers picked Eli, traded Eli to the Giants and asked the Giants to take Philip Rivers with their pick (whom the Chargers wanted all along). Rumor has it the Giants were actually about to take Ben Roethlesberger when the Chargers called and a deal for Eli was worked out. It was a good gamble for the Chargers as those future picks became Shawn Merriman and the other LaDanian Tomlinson.

Well.......that actually does seem accurate, if incomplete, but I see where Shawn Merriman comes into it but not Tomlinson!?!?!?!?!?!

I wonder if the Giants would have been better with Rivers or Roethlesberger? We'll never know ;-)

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@MLBdays said:

@JoeBanzai

Well.......that actually does seem accurate, if incomplete, but I see where Shawn Merriman comes into it but not Tomlinson!?!?!?!?!?!

I wonder if the Giants would have been better with Rivers or Roethlesberger? We'll never know ;-)

You’re totally right. It was Nate kaedhing and Roman Oben, not Tomlinson. I thought they traded the Giants pick to move up for Tomlinson but it was for a Roman Oben...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bigblueview.com/platform/amp/2013/12/4/5168342/eli-manning-philip-rivers-2004-trade-new-york-giants-san-diego-chargers

• Options

What are your thoughts on this years Giants?

I think the Vikings will win their division, and if the O-Line is good, and the team is healthy, they can make it to the SB.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    What are your thoughts on this years Giants?

I think the Vikings will win their division, and if the O-Line is good, and the team is healthy, they can make it to the SB.

Well, the rest of the division is so-so in my opinion so it’s up for grabs. I’m hopeful they’ll be in the mix this year...

• Options

There's a video on Youtube of the first Giants practice with Daniel Jones. I think he looked a bit slow out there by NFL standards, his accuracy seemed a bit off, but it was the first practice.

I'm not going to root for any Giants pick, but I do like the way the Giants were attracted to him because of his "toughness." Too many QB's are drafted for their athleticism, while their toughness is basically overlooked, and as soon as NFL defensive killers start pounding on them, they fold up like a cheap suit.

We shall see if despite his toughness, Jones has the talent to succeed in the NFL. If he doesn't work out, then he doesn't work out. However I'm not going to fault the Giants on this pick with their reasoning.

• Options

@stevek said:
    There's a video on Youtube of the first Giants practice with Daniel Jones. I think he looked a bit slow out there by NFL standards, his accuracy seemed a bit off, but it was the first practice.

I'm not going to root for any Giants pick, but I do like the way the Giants were attracted to him because of his "toughness." Too many QB's are drafted for their athleticism, while their toughness is basically overlooked, and as soon as NFL defensive killers start pounding on them, they fold up like a cheap suit.

We shall see if despite his toughness, Jones has the talent to succeed in the NFL. If he doesn't work out, then he doesn't work out. However I'm not going to fault the Giants on this pick with their reasoning.

The comparison I have liked (mobility wise only) hearing is he's like a young Ben Roethlesberger; he's big enough and strong enough to be tough to take down, he moves well in the pocket and can run into open space for a 'keep them honest' type of runs. He's never going to be a Randall Cunningham, Fran Tarkenton, Michael Vick or Cam Newton. I don't think thats the expectation. And the Duke-Princeton brain is still a plus for me.

• Options

@stevek said:

The comparison I have liked (mobility wise only) hearing is he's like a young Ben Roethlesberger; he's big enough and strong enough to be tough to take down, he moves well in the pocket and can run into open space for a 'keep them honest' type of runs. He's never going to be a Randall Cunningham, Fran Tarkenton, Michael Vick or Cam Newton. I don't think thats the expectation. And the Duke-Princeton brain is still a plus for me.

I think that's some very good analysis.

I forget if it was the same video or not with the practice, but I saw him in an interview on Youtube with NY reporters and he held his own quite well. So yes, he's a smart kid, and if he's also a tough kid, I think he could very well be the type of QB who could possibly be a winner for many seasons to come with the Giants.

• Options

@stevek said:

@stevek said:

I think that's some very good analysis.

I forget if it was the same video or not with the practice, but I saw him in an interview on Youtube with NY reporters and he held his own quite well. So yes, he's a smart kid, and if he's also a tough kid, I think he could very well be the type of QB who could possibly be a winner for many seasons to come with the Giants.

Maybe it will be a Giants/Vikings NFC Championship game! Until then, good luck!

• Options

I’m calling the Cowboys making it to the NFC Championship game.