Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The most expensive Civil War Tokens

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 25, 2019 9:43PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Similar to the Top 10 Most Expensive Coins list, what are the most expensive Civil War Tokens? I searched for some and was surprised to run by this one.

This Hero of Pea Ridge token (type 2 - no slogan) is currently offered at $4,500.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/81174049

Comments

• Options
    edited April 25, 2019 9:52PM

Here are the top from Heritage.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are more $3-5k ones than most people realize. I'd have to really, really have a change of heart to pay even that for one.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2019 5:04AM

I dare say that if the Dr. Keitteridge token, formerly listed as Willmantic, Connecticut, came up for sale in a decent grade, would bring a high price. It was one of the few want list items I had as a dealer than I could never even come clost to finding. The best one is in the ANS collection.

I would also think that the "A. Cohen Clothing and Gents Furnishing Goods" piece, KS 550A, would bring a lot of money these days in high grade since it's rare and it's the only piece from Kansas, Leavenworth to be exact.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ones with that dog on them are always costly. They're good for a 'scent'......

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although there's some CWT's that can cross the $20K figure there are Hard Times Tokens that can well top that going over $100K.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

The token with the missing design looks like the letters were filled. I think I see the outlines of ltrs.

The first token should be disqualified. I can put one on Ebay for a "Buy it now" price of 4 million dollars! Only actual sales should be included. I'd also rule out the usual types of errors. Off metal tokens should be included.

• Options
    edited April 26, 2019 9:16AM

@Insider2 said:
    The token with the missing design looks like the letters were filled. I think I see the outlines of ltrs.

It used to say Hero of Pea Ridge. @BillJones has a great post on these.

The first token should be disqualified. I can put one on Ebay for a "Buy it now" price of 4 million dollars! Only actual sales should be included.

Sure, but I was surprised by the price.

I'd also rule out the usual types of errors. Off metal tokens should be included.

Why no errors but off metals?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Off-medal pieces can bring high prices. I have no interest in most of them because they were mostly made for collectors back in the day, and not for general circulation. I like CWTs that were made to be used. I'm not big on the pieces that were made for collectors. That is especially true for off-metals, especially when the asking price is over the price for a "normal" piece in copper, brass or bronze.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file