Home U.S. Coin Forum

How do I clean a coin?

I bought one coin, but after one year, it has gotten blacker and it is very hard to see the texts. What should I do?

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

YOU DON'T! That's because just about anything someone who does not know what they are doing will ruin it. That includes a "simple soak" because many coins are ruined when they are dried.

Now, just for the heck of it, post an image or tell us what it is made of.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should resist the urge to "clean" a coin, because usually it will be damaged (scratched, etc.) unless you have invested time to learn how to do it very carefully.
    What type of metal is the coin? Silver? Copper?
    And what was the storage method / environment?

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weimans tarnish remover assuming we are talking silver. Nothing worse than dirty silver. It works wonders in seconds.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• @yosclimber I just want to make it looks a little clean. It is silver metal. I store it on my box. Today, I take it out and find it a little dirty.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pics?

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2019 7:11PM

Information on the link in the OP.

—————

Better Business Bureau

GS Promo, LLC
    Wearable Promotional Products
    This is a multi-location business. Find a location

20829 Valley Blvd, Walnut, CA 91789-2540

https://www.gs-jj.com/

Products & Services
    This company offers ...GS-JJ is affiliated to one of the largest manufacturers of promotional gifts merchandise in China, whose mission is offer their customers the best quality products at highly competitive prices and on-time delivery!

More at BBB:

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/walnut/profile/wearable-promotional-products/gs-promo-llc-1216-870715

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2019 7:08PM

@karenren said:
    @yosclimber I just want to make it looks a little clean. It is silver metal. I store it on my box. Today, I take it out and find it a little dirty.

Thank you for the info.
    What is the box made of? Cardboard? Steel?
    What type of holder is the coin in? None? Paper envelope? Mylar 2"x2"? PVC flip? non-PVC flip?
    Is it stored in a place which sometimes has high humidity?
    All these are factors which could influence tarnishing/oxidation of a silver coin.

Photos would be helpful if you are not sure about the holder type, and to assess what "dirty" means.

• @Hemispherical Yes, you are right. By the way, are there any problems if it is attached to a link here? If you said yes, and i will remove it.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@karenren said:
    @Hemispherical Yes, you are right. By the way, are there any problems if it is attached to a link here? If you said yes, and i will remove it.

Your link may be within forum rules but you may have found the wrong target audience. Many on this forum don't like round metal disks from China. The factory in China that makes challenge coins could be the same one flooding our coin market with counterfeits. If you are here to learn about coins it is a great place. If you are here to promote round metal disks from China you are in the wrong place.

Do you work for this company? Were you so impressed with them the one time you ordered from them several years ago that you go out of your way to promote them? Where are you from or located at?

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

stiff wire brush and acid, does the trick everytime.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • @ifthevamzarockin I want to know more information about these ancient coins. Before, i don't know coins. One day, my boss assigned me to order some award coins. I know them. This company is the first place I ordered, maybe "enlightenment?" :D So I came here to learn more information about coins.

Let me see if I am understanding right.

Your boss told you to order challenge coins several years ago and you have not ordered since. Your were so impressed with the quality and service you received that you feel the need to promote for this company. You don't work for them or any company that works directly with them.

• @ifthevamzarockin No. I means, I ordered challenge coins from them. This is the first time I know coins due to their articles. Then, when I took the coins, I found coins are amazing and delicate. And they are not just for awarding but can be collected. For example, you can know history from some ancient coins. Now , I find the coins forum by accident. So I registered and I want to know the secret about coins. At the same time, I put the link from the company that give me an enthusiastic heart about coins. Can you understand me?

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never clean a coin as that will REDUCE the value. Proper storage is a must, dry and cool is best. Post a pic please so we can really help. Blow the dust off and leave as is.

"coins" from China are worthless to collectors. The Chinese manufacture fake US coins/tokens and that is against our laws...

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • @AUandAG Ok! I know. Thanks for your reminding. :D

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, the first step in cleaning a coin is put it back in it's case. Step two is leave it alone. Step three is enjoy looking at it once in a while. :)

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • @1Mike1 Interesting answer! :D

• Walt_AltmenWalt_Altmen Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

@1Mike1 said:
    Yes, the first step in cleaning a coin is put it back in it's case. Step two is leave it alone. Step three is enjoy looking at it once in a while. :)

Very reminiscient of the fight club rule book:

“First rule about cleaning a coin is you dont ask about cleaning a coin!”

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2019 1:37AM

If you check the OP's profile you can see them starting threads asking where they can get certain types of "coins" and then other threads offering to sell those same custom "coins".

They apparently work for the Chinese company that makes custom challenge coins, among other things.

Their thread asking about how to identify fake ancient coins made me cringe.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Uh oh... Warning, warning ....Danger Will Robinson... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

PLEASE DO NOT CLEAN COINS

Thank you,
    Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

never clean a coin

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

something about this post is fishy

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2019 11:31AM

I expect a post from the OP any minute now introducing some super-duper coin cleaner. ;):D:*

@JBK said:
    I expect a post from the OP any minute now introducing some super-duper coin cleaner. ;):D:*

Yes, it's called Super Happy Fun Coin Cleaner :D

• @johnny9434 Ok, I know!

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buh bye whoever you are.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• @Namvet69 all right. :(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file