Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cutaway of an RPM

IntueorIntueor Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭

This is a detailed image of the mintmark on an attributed Reverse Die Variety RDV-001a 1950-D/D Franklin Half. The mintmark has obvious post mint damage. What is interesting is that the damage exposed the depth of the RPM. It never occurred to me that the beveled edge of the re-punch penetrated so deep into the incused first punch on the Working Die. From the surface visual perspective, it always appeared to be a shallow feature, nominally displacing some metal in the incused first punch. There are not many opportunities to see the “anatomy” of an RPM so it might be of interest to variety collectors.

unus multorum

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good time for someone with good motor skills and eyes to place colored lines of the MM and RPM. So we (I) can picture @Intueor ‘s explanatory post. Please. :)

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not really seeing it...

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@georgiacop50 said:

Me either.

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    Good time for someone with good motor skills and eyes to place colored lines of the MM and RPM. So we (I) can picture @Intueor ‘s explanatory post. Please. :)

@georgiacop50 said:

Hope this will help(?) :)

unus multorum
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

OK yeah, so this is an RPM North, eh?

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

SIR, PLEASE STEP AWAY FROM THE MICROSCOPE.

But seriously, I still don't see what your implying. How do you know the area shown by the white arrows wasn't additional post mint damage?
    In fact, looking at the CherryPickers guide at this rpm, yours does not match the junk in the open part of the "D". Do you have a guide?

• Options

@Hemispherical
    @DIMEMAN
    @georgiacop50
    @bolivarshagnasty

It was an RPM "D" before it left the Mint. After it left the Mint it took a shot that scraped way half the metal of the lower "D". This scrap exposed how the Split Serif in an RPM goes all the way down to the bottom of the incused first MM punch in the Working Die. It is a RPM "D" Mintmark with a deep scrape on the bottom half of the MM. Best I can do. Oh! bolivarshagnasty, you will not find this variety in any book or site. James Wiles just attributed it as an RPM two weeks ago.

Maybe the perspective of a wide shot will help.....

unus multorum
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats @Intueor for the discovery!

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe a photo of an undamaged specimen will help. I do not see the repunched MM.

• Options
    edited April 24, 2019 6:56PM

@Hemispherical said:

@RogerB said:
    Maybe a photo of an undamaged specimen will help. I do not see the repunched MM.

This might help....
    Here is the closest match I have for a 1950-D/D Franklin.

Here is the Damaged MM with Arrows

unus multorum
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll have to accept your expertise on this one.... But interesting stuff!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent photographs and I do see what you mean.... Thank you for an interesting analysis. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file