Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Peace Dollar - Would this dollar grade?

There is a black spot on the reverse. I used a toothpick to dislodge some of the crud. Will the spot keep this coin from grading?
Is it worth sending in? It does have a bit of color which actually looks better in hand.

Successful deals with:Ciccio-Nibanny, Wondercoin, Republicaninmass, Utahcoin, Abitofthisabitofthat, Doubleeagles59, Peaceman

Answers

• Options
    Rooster1Rooster1 Posts: 381 ✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Authentication and grading would cost more than the coin is worth.

Would it grade with the spot?

Successful deals with:Ciccio-Nibanny, Wondercoin, Republicaninmass, Utahcoin, Abitofthisabitofthat, Doubleeagles59, Peaceman
  • Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

It will likely grade but not worth doing so with that cheek, let alone the spot.

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin would likely grade AU55 or so, but could easily be demoted to a details slab. The 1922 Philadelphia issue is the largest single mintage of any US Silver Dollar. They still exist by the millions. They are the opposite of rare. They aren't rare in gem condition. They certainly aren't rare in this condition. The coin is nice enough for what it is, but whatever slight numismatic value it might have is probably lost due to the spot. There is NOTHING to be gained by sending it in for grading. These can be purchased in bag quantity nicer than this from a number of different sources.

Most collectors would consider this toning on this coin to be a mild negative. It doesn't bother me, but I wouldn't pay more than a slight premium over the silver content for it.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would probably be gradable with the spot. But the cost will be more than the coin's value, and it's very unlikely that anyone would buy the coin - there are thousands of 1922 Peace dollars in slabs without spots.

• Options
    Rooster1Rooster1 Posts: 381 ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the replies. I mostly wanted to know if they would grade a coin with such a spot on it.
    As far as these being common, I once heard a guy say he thinks they are still minting the 1922 Peace Dollars :)

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not worth it to grade. I think Bryce was a bit harsh at 55 though, this doesn't look circulated to me and I think it would top out at 63.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rooster1 said:
    Thanks for all the replies. I mostly wanted to know if they would grade a coin with such a spot on it.
    As far as these being common, I once heard a guy say he thinks they are still minting the 1922 Peace Dollars :)

In China.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

not for me in that grade to get graded but that's just me, fwiw

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be a waste to send for grading, though the spot would not prevent a grade. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

What @BryceM said.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Distinguishing sliders from true MS coins is a key point of grading Peace dollars. To me, rub is evident in the hair curls over the forehead, jawline, and lettering. I also see “graying” of the fields as described well in Wayne Miller’s book. Look at the unprotected parts of the fields between the rays above the eagle. Therefore, 58 details, netted down to 55 for scattered hairlines and the spot.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file