Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A coin “grade” is:

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Grade” is a description of the surfaces of a coin or medal with respect to the amount of abrasion and damage to the item.

There are three (3) fixed reference points. All grade descriptions are derived from these reference points.

Reference Point 1: Perfect surfaces. The item is exactly as struck with no visible surface abrasion or damage. Clarity of design is not relevant.

Reference Point 2: About Uncirculated (AU). The item has traces of abrasion on the highest design point, and/or disturbance of field luster from handling. Surface damage other than mutilation is not relevant.

Reference Point 3: Poor. The item is identifiable by basic design type, but peripheral inscriptions are largely unreadable with any degree of certainty.

The above describes my basic categorization structure when grading a coin or medal. It is a set of fixed points of reference within an otherwise continuous natural distribution between points 2 and 3. It also requires that all items between points 1 and 2 be free of abrasion even though they will have varying quantities of damage from normal mechanical contact with equipment and other items.

This approach does not necessarily correlate with published grading guidebooks or techniques applied by TPGs.

The question is – “How do other members approach grading coins or medals?”

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColonelJessup .... Under the current system, your commentary is accurate and well described. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2019 11:40AM

Roger, I'd stick to your day job writing books as I cannot make much sense of the system you use.

However, I will give you props for this: "Grade” is a description of the surfaces of a coin or medal with respect to the amount of abrasion and damage to the item."

Unfortunately, it is incomplete as it stands because it leaves off other important attributes of a coin that influence its "commercial" grade! For example, The Colonel has mentioned strike.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

:#

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2019 2:27PM

I’m very certain that by the end of this thread we’ll have a new, perfectly defined, perfectly understood system of grading.

Or, perhaps, it’s a plastic, fluid, evolving concept that is abrasive to concrete-thinkers but acceptable to those with a little more abstract way of seeing the world. As the good colonel said, zeitgeist is probably the best word. Also, I agree that despite the subjective nature of it, grading can be taught, learned, and reasonably consistent.

• Options
    edited April 24, 2019 2:41PM

@BryceM said: "Or, perhaps, it’s a plastic, fluid, evolving concept that is abrasive to concrete-thinkers but acceptable to those with a little more abstract way of seeing the world."

It can be proven that coin grading is: "A plastic, fluid, evolving concept." In about sixty years, many coins formerly graded Extremely Fine are now considered Mint State. :(

As to this: "...acceptable to those with a little moreabstract way of seeing the world," it is not not abstract at all! I see it for what it is: $$$$$. :p

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

The US Mint sends out coins freshly minted with abrasions. I've received several.

• Options

@BG said:
    The US Mint sends out coins freshly minted with abrasions. I've received several.

Of course it does! They also send out damaged and minor error coins. What is truly amazing to me is they also send out a very large number of TRUE MS/PR-70 coins (perfect) that hold up when viewed with both eyes using a microscope. It is a miracle

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2019 7:58PM

@Insider2 said:

@BG said:

Of course it does! They also send out damaged and minor error coins. What is truly amazing to me is they also send out a very large number of TRUE MS/PR-70 coins (perfect) that hold up when viewed with both eyes using a microscope. It is a miracle

The invention of the microscope truly was a miraculous advance in coin viewing technology. B)
    MS70/PR70 modern whatchamacallits fail to amaze. :#

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Grading coins. You will never get everyone to agree on a grade.

It's all in your head.

Computers can't do it yet because it is an art.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

I am loving the Zen Archery and the Art of Coin Grading thing.

“And what is good, Phaedrus,
    And what is not good—
    Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?”

• Options

@ColonelJessup said:

@Insider2 said:

@BG said:

The invention of the microscope truly was a miraculous advance in coin viewing technology. B)
    MS70/PR70 modern whatchamacallits fail to amaze. :#

Benefits of using a scope (combined with florescent light ONLY) to examine a coin:

1. Technicians at the Mint do - as least at one time.
    2. You can see the characteristics of its surface using BOTH eyes as we were made to do.
    3. You rarely will miss anything affecting its grade.
    4. You are authenticating it anyway so you may as well get an IDEA of its grade at the same time.
    5. It's just one more step in the grading process:

a. Eye
    b. Scope (any power needed, from 5-40X)
    c. 7X hand lens
    d. Eye again

1. Most important...while a bunch of long-time professionals <3 are trying to figure out what they are looking at on a coin for several minutes using their hand lens, You'll know in seconds because you have seen that characteristic thousands of times before while using the scope! B)
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has evolved in the last 50 or so years to reflect market forces and an attempt to squeeze ever more money out of numismatics.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file