Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

time capsule in Reno NV

LewLew Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

Here is part of an article about an time capsule in Reno, NV.

"Artifacts recovered from an 1872 time capsule stashed in the cornerstone of a demolished Masonic lodge in Reno include silver dollars minted in Carson City and San Francisco, and a piece of wood from Sutter’s Mill where the discovery of gold sparked the California Gold Rush."

I read no information about the Carson City and San Francisco silver dollars.
Does anyone on the forum have additional information?

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

looking forward to seeing the slabbed Sutter's Mill wood.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2019 9:48AM

@Lew

Information about the time capsule or CC / SF Morgans?

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2019 10:29AM

“In addition to the 1872 silver dollars, the capsule included a Mexican dollar, an English quarter shilling and two American 3-cent pieces. There's a silver specimen from a mine in White Pine County near the Utah line, the Constitution of the Masonic Grand Lodge and the names of all the officers of the state of Nevada and Washoe County, as well as members of the California Legislature, 1871-72.”

Link to Article

—————

KTVN
    News Broadcast
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9gK6BxSm_Os

—————

Reno’s Masonic Temple Cornerstone Time Capsule Reveal
    April 17, 2019

Catherine Magee (of the Nevada Historical Society)
    https://youtu.be/aByKZEDtDjo

https://www.kozzradio.com/2019/04/17/renos-masonic-temple-cornerstone-time-capsule-reveal/

Edit: Fixed the link to the article.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Link does not work.

Too bad the cornerstone was not laid in early 1873.

• Options

I went to the PNNA web site and did not see anything about the time capsule.
    From the two videos above it looks like two large coins -- two silver dollars? Would suspect an 1872-CC and 1872-S.
    If the two large coins are silver dollars, they look like they might have some problems -- corrosion not tarnish.
    I hope the CC dollar, and any other CC coins end up in the Nevada State Museum in the old Carson City Mint.

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lew said:
    I went to the PNNA web site and did not see anything about the time capsule.

For the newspaper article, click on "this link." here or above - I didn't mean the PNNA site in my signature line. :smile:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to see the time capsule was recovered... often, they are forgotten and lost. Cheers, RickO

• Options

The first video above (KTVN News Broadcast) gives a failry decent view of the two large coins.at at :55 into the video.
    On the closer of the two silver dollars, what I thought was dark tarnish at first looks like a smaller coin, maybe a half dollar, on top of the silver dollar.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file