Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I found this while coin roll hunting a $25 box of pennies a month ago.

Hi I found this while coin roll hunting a $25 box of pennies a month ago in early March. At first I thought that it was a Indian Head penny but I was wrong I started screaming and I normally do not cuss but I was like holy s$#% and my Dad said stop it be nice your a lady lol. But still I was happy and still in shock I found this coin roll hunting pennies.

Kristen Marie Kiblin

Comments

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is unusual to find one that old. Most likely 1857 or 1858. 1856 is very rare so I doubt it would be that date. Its a flying eagle! Congrats on your find.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@homer0816 said:
    Hi I found this while coin roll hunting a $25 box of pennies a month ago in early March. At first I thought that it was a Indian Head penny but I was wrong I started screaming and I normally do not cuss but I was like holy s$#% and my Dad said stop it be nice your a lady lol. But still I was happy and still in shock I found this coin roll hunting pennies.

Congrats @homer0816 and welcome to the forum.

A few links of information:

Coin Facts information on the Flying Eagle cent: https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/category/flying-eagle-cent-1856-1858/664

Grading, get an idea of potential grade of your cent:
    https://www.pcgs.com/photograde/

Hold the coin by the edges.
    Seeing green, potentially verdigris.

Enjoy the hobby and have fun!

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2019 5:13AM

I would have not believed it but I found an 1858 FE cent in a BWR roll back in 2014, and three weeks later found another in a CWR. Nothing like finding a 160+ year old coin in roll searches!

Edited to add, I cursed also when I found the first IHC, a 1901 back in 2010. With the FE I was a bit confused over what it was at first since you never expect to find one.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

awesome!

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is indeed a real neat find. That FE flew through a whole lot of pockets and change purses in its time.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@homer0816...Welcome aboard....That is a great find and well worth a cuss word - or two - :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find, I probably would have written it off as a 1967 Canadian cent and tossed it back into the pile ;)

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a Flying Taco yet still a nice find ;)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way fun no matter the condition.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super cool! Congrats!

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find.

Maybe next time you search rolls you will find a Large Cent. :)

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Count me among those that have NEVER found a flyer in circulation !
    Congrats......

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great roll find - a real trophy.

You'll never fund an older cent in a roll.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect that heirs of coin collectors are dumping some well worn coins back into circulation. They may be coins they took to a dealer and got no offer.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2019 9:52AM

Fantastic! Welcome aboard, and be sure to keep us up to date about all the other great finds you will be discovering as you roll search. I have a feeling there will be many.

P.S. Sorry about the welcome aboard. I see you joined the forum over 3 years ago. I just assumed that because your post count was only at 3 that you were new around here. My mistake.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

VERY neat, Congratulations!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file