Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Beware, seller’s pics - Do you agree that this double eagle deserves a green bean?

KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 23, 2019 8:35PM in U.S. Coin Forum

:)

Comments

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. It might technically rate a 61. But that coin has been beaten with an ugly stick.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not a CAC guy, but that’s flat fugly, IMO.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect the terrible pictures have something to do with it. Under normal light, I bet it looks a lot better.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 61 to me, forget about silly stickers. Congrats!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your pictures are not helping the coin.

• Options

@skier07 said:
    Your pictures are not helping the coin.

Seller’s pics :o

• Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

It’s a 61, of course it’s ugly...

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

61 with lousy eye appeal. Hopefully it's the photography.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. It does not look like an "A" or "B" MS61 coin, and the eye appeal is lacking.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2019 10:25PM

I think you should call host to see about the black.is it sever rub with contamination or just service organic material. See if they can restore without losing anything. It looks graded apparently. Sometimes ugly grows on you but don’t wait.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe. Remember, not all coin sellers are gifted with photography and even those that are, and that only show a single image, can't mimic inspecting a coin in-hand. Regardless, that looks like a scan and, if so, scans are notorious for giving extremely unflattering coin images.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a 61 with bad photos. How good could it look?

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2019 1:39AM

Yup, it's a 61. It is what it is !!! ;)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

That IS what the sticker means...

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:
    I wish we could move past beating up coins’ reputations for the grade based upon images

This.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2019 3:23AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@tradedollarnut said:
    I wish we could move past beating up coins’ reputations for the grade based upon images

This.

Coins’ reputations for the grade are both beaten up unfairly and praised undeservedly, here, based upon images. It’s inevitable and far more interesting than not assessing the coins at all.

I do wish, however, that coins which are currently up for sale, would be excluded from such exercises.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    earlycoinsearlycoins Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

Horrible images. Might it be frosty with rubs as the dark areas?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another example of a CAC blessed coin that's nothing special. I'd buy it but it's not worth the CAC tax or premium that most sellers would want for it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a bad photo...TrueViews are a game changer.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    Another example of a CAC blessed coin that's nothing special. I'd buy it but it's not worth the CAC tax or premium that most sellers would want for it.

But I have seen WORSE 61s. So, for people who understand what CAC means, the CAC just affirms that it is a solid 61.

Not to turn this into a CAC thread, but I had a dealer buy a Wisconsin PCGS 67 CAC commem from me. I sold it at Greysheet CAC bid, by the way. He returned it because "he thought it would look better". LOL

Now, I know exactly what the now-blocked buyer meant. He assumed it would upgrade to a 68 and was taking a shot at doubling his money with a 68. I think that is part of the urban legend around CAC that a CACed coin should upgrade or has a high probability of an upgrade. In fact, a green bean suggests the opposite: high end FOR THE GRADE IT IS IN,

So, I half agree with you. In this case, the CAC is accurate for what it is, BUT people way overinterpret the meaning of the bean and, as a result, the premium for CAC coins is high.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might look better if you have the seller fax you a photo of the scan?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that CAC saw the coin as solid for the grade....and they had the slab in hand. I do not agree that viewing these images on the forum allow us to pass judgement on their decision....Just my opinion on the opinions judging the CAC opinion.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited April 24, 2019 6:29AM

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@tradedollarnut said:

This.

Coins’ reputations for the grade are both beaten up unfairly and praised undeservedly, here, based upon images. It’s inevitable and far more interesting than not assessing the coins at all.

I do wish, however, that coins which are currently up for sale, would be excluded from such exercises.

Ahh but the coin was recently sold by the firm you work for, for $8280, the lowest recent sp in-spite of the green bean.

• Options
    edited April 24, 2019 6:34AM

@KollectorKing said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@tradedollarnut said:

This.

Ahh but the coin was recently sold by the firm you work for, for $8280.

Sorry for not having been clear. I wasn't assuming that the coin in question was currently up for sale. My wishing that coins currently up for sale would be excluded from such exercises, was a general comment.

Why not post those pictures?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@KollectorKing said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@tradedollarnut said:

This.

Sorry for not having been clear. I wasn't assuming that the coin in question was currently up for sale. My wishing that coins currently up for sale would be excluded from such exercises, was a general comment.

One can easily access & view the pics of the other coins via CoinFacts & they’re head & shoulder better looking than the subject cac coin. Hence, they realized higher prices ie the market has spoken.

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess what? The guy at CAC might be human.
    And just like the grading services, the standard may change over enough time.

• Options

@KollectorKing said:

@MFeld said:

@KollectorKing said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@tradedollarnut said:

This.

One can easily access & view the pics of the other coins via CoinFacts & they’re head & shoulder better looking than the subject cac coin. Hence, they realized higher prices ie the market has spoken.

I'm confused, You wrote "Ahh but the coin was recently sold by the firm you work for, for $8280."
    However, the one which sold for $8,280 by the the firm I work for does not appear to be the same coin you posted. It was not a CAC example, has a different cert number and looks entirely different.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2019 7:00AM

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2019 7:29AM

No - Somebody wasted their money. What an ugly low end dog, definitely a C coin.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

I wonder how many replies this thread would have generated if the coin didn't have a CAC sticker and the thread title was simply "Do you agree that this double eagle deserves the assigned grade?" ;)

• Options

@MFeld said:

@KollectorKing said:

@MFeld said:

@KollectorKing said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@tradedollarnut said:

This.

I'm confused, You wrote "Ahh but the coin was recently sold by the firm you work for, for $8280."
    However, the one which sold for $8,280 by the the firm I work for does not appear to be the same coin you posted. It was not a CAC example, has a different cert number and looks entirely different.

I too am confused now. The coin I posted was from CoinFacts and it was the one that sold for $8280. I doubled checked it prior to posting the CoinFacts prices.

• Options

@KollectorKing said:

@MFeld said:

@KollectorKing said:

@MFeld said:

@KollectorKing said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@tradedollarnut said:

This.

I too am confused now. The coin I posted was from CoinFacts and it was the one that sold for $8280. I doubled checked it prior to posting the CoinFacts prices.

Here is what I found on CoinFacts for the one which brought $8,280 https://www.pcgs.com/auctionprices/item/1875-cc-20/8974/628440700126706517

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

These can get really beat up. Clearly uncirculated. I see other coins that the bean makes me shake my head more than this.

• Options

@KollectorKing said:

@MFeld said:

@KollectorKing said:

@MFeld said:

@KollectorKing said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@tradedollarnut said:

This.

Just checked myself. Definitely not the same coin. The $8280 coin has a provenance, no cac sticker, and doesn’t look at all the same.

CN eBay

• Options

This particular coin sold twice in 2017. Once for $11,400 and once for $13,200.

CN eBay

• Options
    edited April 24, 2019 7:26AM

@CuKevin said:
    This particular coin sold twice in 2017. Once for $11,400 and once for $13,200.

Here are additional photos of the coin which is the subject of this thread. My guess is that they are considerably more true to life than the ones which were posted initially.

• Options

From ha archive

• Options

If you compare the $8280 coin (MS61 no CAC) to the one in this thread, the CAC coin is nicer.

It's a 61...I'm not sure how much nicer you expect it to be.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/84660112
    You seem to do plenty of research but don't bother to bring up the cert page for the coin in question(unless I missed it..). Two previous sales, both over $10k. If you look at those past auction pictures it appears that the coin has very nice surfaces(skin) between the unfortunate multitude of hits. The $8280 coin above does not even compare.
    Coin in question:

$8280 coin:

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh right, the question... Yes I think it deserves the bean, but I also don't collect these.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

My thought initially was bad pictures. Mark Feld's post confirmed it. The second set of pictures looks a lot nicer and I agree with the grade and bean.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

No $20 gold coins are ugly, they are all beautiful works of art. I think it is a great looking coin for a 61. Couldn't care less about the CAC sticker. CAC is on a lot of ugly coins, so who cares?

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2019 9:16AM

Everybody knows some coins from technical view may be accurately graded but due to eye appeal issues (ugly toning) will not be easy to sell on the bourse if at all whether sticker or not. If CAC wants put sticker on ugly coin that is their choice but that will not change the above fact.

Coin #0112 is an ugly coin and I would spend the money on something else.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

not for me ( I don't collect them either )

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2019 3:45PM

Not even going there but pics don't tell the whole story I bet.

• Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

Ditto

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

A $20 Lib is a large gold coin. At the MS-61 level, one should expect a lot of hits/chatter. If it's a no-question original coin, with original skin, it's no surprise that CAC approved it.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    61 with lousy eye appeal. Hopefully it's the photography.

MS61 in gold doesn’t automatically mean ugly. In this case, though, the foot fits the shoe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file