ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2019 9:00PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Do you agree?

This is a modification of a famous Steve Jobs quote:

Deciding what not to do is as important as deciding what to do

Comments

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

If you've decided to collect, but you haven't decided what to collect, isn't that some kind of mental disorder?

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@kbbpll said:
    If you've decided to collect, but you haven't decided what to collect, isn't that some kind of mental disorder?

Actually, I think that's pretty reasonable. For example, I'm guessing a lot of people will just get some random stuff in the beginning without thought of a "collection" until later.

I forgot the smiley face. :smile: Fortunately coins are small and my failure to decide on "what" has gone unnoticed.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not so sure about that quote. As far as business goes, I decided long ago I didn’t want to
    go broke nor sick but, economy and genetics decided against me.
    As far as collecting goes.....if you don’t shop around you may miss something you may enjoy.
    When I first started collecting I learned on mint sets and Morgan’s. After I learned how to grade
    semi accurately I sold most and decided to only collect silver dollars.
    Interestingly enough I haven’t bought any silver dollars but do enjoy jumping around from tokens,
    so called dollars and now Masonic.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. Collectors waste money and energy when they jump around buying and then selling collections they never should have started in the first place. Put the wallet away and think carefully about what to collect.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes and no. The sooner you have focus, the better your collection will be obviously. But on the other hand, if you don't buy things every once in a while that are out of your wheelhouse, you could be missing another avenue on this journey.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few years back Apple made a short film titled “A thousand no’s for every yes.” Similar concept and quite applicable to coin collecting, about being selective and staying focused.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:
    A few years back Apple made a short film titled “A thousand no’s for every yes.” Similar concept and quite applicable to coin collecting, about being selective and staying focused.

And I thought I was the only on to see that vid... ;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XAEPqUtra6E

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Focus is important. I focused on a few sets in my hobby history... that was fun. Now I am focused on being unfocused.... I enjoy picking up pieces that are random, but interest me for various reasons - could be artistic, historical or personal....I really enjoy this phase of my hobby. It may change back to series/sets at any time... but for now.... :) I am having fun...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ventured into darkside in protest of the company that must not be named and lost interest. :'(

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I like to say, there is a big difference between a collection and an accumluation. Its very easy to pick up coin related stuff and other coins your not really interested in. In fact, the darn stuff just shows up on my desk, in my mail box, and by the generosity of others who think that because I collect Lincoln cents, I must want this. The other unspoken truth is that it takes just as much time and effort to sell, trade, or often in my case to toss the extra material that finds its way in my house. Some stuff is not worth selling and goes right back into circulation. When I do appraisals 99% of the war nickels, bicentennial quarters, wheat cents , etc., I tell the owner to just spend it. I still have never figured out other than for stupidity and greed why some folks hoard common wheat cents, If pushed the only answer I get is "they are worth 3 cents each !!) whoopie, and how many of those do you need before you have a million dollars.? Rant over.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. But saying no to one coin or series does not mean you can’t later say yes to something else.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kbbpll said:

Collecting is all a mental disorder. :)

• Options
    edited April 24, 2019 6:16PM

@ARCO said:

@kbbpll said:

Collecting is all a mental disorder. :)

I was just saved! I was just about to buy something out of my normal collecting areas after thinking about it for a few days and found out that it is no longer available! Sometimes it's nice to have a bit of help :)

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugh I've discovered that I seem to collect these empty packaging tape dispensers. It started with saving a few different types to a bag of about 100. I've tried to toss them in the recycle bin a couple times, but feel I might need one once. Now considering the possibility of a fancy display case for them :s

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

More like, a delusional disorder along with bizarre coin grading for people who can't tell the difference between a Mint State coin and an "as struck" coin. I have learned long ago and its been amazingly entertaining BTW, how long it takes some collectors and very few catch on, making that jump from "as struck" coins to collecting true Mint State coins. Most collectors never really get there. They likely never actually come to terms with just how bad their coins are and some have even paid thousands for those dangling carrots or maybe, they do know? Whatever the case, they certainly don't brag much about them. In Jefferson nickels, the following is the Mint State example while the one pictured below it......is not Mint state but rather the "as struck" coin. It does not have the original full design the US Mint and sculptor intended to stamp on its coins. But it is a, "run of the mill" type of coin that was manufactured for circulation to meet commerce demand. This was when the coin press operator reduced the tonnage and flipped up the switch into high gear just before he went on break to eat his braunschweiger packed limburger cheese on rye and coffee. It's quite simple folks, the US Mint just couldn't maintain or is the word sustain high quality for every coin they produced. Especially when 99 % were destine for commerce and recycling Wasn't cost effective or maybe there was a dang war going on. Either way, Mint State coins, the ones with the full strikes, are the collector's coins!

I will also add since the ANA is responsible for adding "as struck" to the grading standards in 2006 and the CGC's followed suit shortly thereafter due to popular demand than why don't we have "AS" grades? For sure, coins similar to the top posted fully struck coin, that's the Mint State MSXX coin! But for the poorly struck coin, call it for what it is, ASXX, "AS" stands for "as struck". ROTM68+FS would work as well.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. I suspect the Steve Jobs quote was in relation to time management; there's not enough time to do everything so realize if you are doing something you are then not doing something else which may be more important. With coin collecting, for most of us time is not the scarce quantity but money is, and the same idea applies.

At the same time I think many, many people don't agree. I don't observe very many date/mintmark collectors like me out there. Most folks seem to prefer picking out coins that speak to them for whatever reason, which is just fine of course.

• Options
    edited April 26, 2019 7:25PM

@savitale said:
    I think many, many people don't agree. I don't observe very many date/mintmark collectors like me out there. Most folks seem to prefer picking out coins that speak to them for whatever reason, which is just fine of course.

Focus is important but doesn't necessarily have to mean date/mintmark. For me, focus can mean "does it belong in a Box of 20 or not?"

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

The longer your interest in coins holds the likelihood of your interest will vary. I started in State Quarters and am now addicted to Capped Bust Half Dollars.

• Options
    edited April 26, 2019 9:50PM

@LJenkins11 said:
    The longer your interest in coins holds the likelihood of your interest will vary. I started in State Quarters and am now addicted to Capped Bust Half Dollars.

That's awesome. Love the progression!

I'm a fan of CBHs as well but only have 1 so far, but I have 2 others I have debated getting. Of course, my single one isn't in a set :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file