ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 16, 2019 4:04PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2019 6:11PM

Edit: welp

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

@ilikemonsters I am thrilled to see your post and feel your passion for this hobby. I am 61 and been at this less than a year and become obsessed with it. I constantly bring this up at work and got two people hooked so far.
    This hobby can easily lend itself to have people seculude themselves in their home/offices and not venture past their home. I am one of the secluded one. You mentioned local clubs But I have not joined one yet. I think it’s time for me to find one. I live outside of Detroit and if anyone knows of a good established club please let now. Thanks!!

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post @ilikemonsters.

Two thoughts:

There are successful YNs in the hobby and I think it's great to see what they do and how they operate. It may not be possibly to replicate but it can be instructive. For example, Justin of Monster Coin Mart seems to have an impressive eBay store with followings in certain areas. He seems to have carved out niches in PCGS moderns and US Philippine coinage.

Think about leverage timeless knowledge with new technologies. Lots of new collectors are Instagram while lots of old timers are on in-person clubs. One thought is to put more information online and have more online clubs. Lately, I've been looking into more online / PDF publications and have been excited about sharing information that way. The ANS is exciting to me because I've been diving into the past issues of the ANS Magazine online. I've also been reading publications by individuals. For online clubs, Knights of the Coin Table are a fun online club with a growing following due to issuing medals by Dan Carr. I've been wondering how all these online activities can be turned into a more modern, more holistic online approach to collecting.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Commentary about the death of the hobby have been the subject of posts here for over twenty years... and it is still going strong. There are many YN's here and on Instagram....Those that are concerned about the state of the hobby are really concerned about the business part....and, from their perspective, a true concern. The reality though, is quite different. The business is healthy, though a large part of the market is now online (websites, ebay, instagram etc.) and not as much at shops and shows.... Malls are disappearing, things are changing in all areas... but business is booming... Check Amazon.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ablinky

“I've seen several young dealers already destroy their reputations by seeing Instagram as only a money grab.”

I agree and will add that it is not just a money grab for young dealers.

Congratulations on the job at Heritage!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ablinky said:
    I'm 22 so I feel my yout sentiments can be heard. I started coins when I was about 13 and have never stopped.

I’d say so. Thanks for posting your thoughts!

I've gone to Summer Seminar 5 times, every major coin show except Long Beach (I'm from Michigan) at least once, and have been involved in multiple coin clubs and have run numerous YN programs at conventions, and have seen this dynamic of young people only see the hobby as a business.

Sounds nice to get that much travel in! Do you have any advice for other YNs that may want to follow in your footsteps?

I like to think my future in the hobby will last a while as I've recently been hired full-time by Heritage...

Congrats Andrew! Glad to have you here. What will you be doing for Heritage? Will you be working with Mark Feld, also here?

• Options

@ricko said:
    Commentary about the death of the hobby have been the subject of posts here for over twenty years... and it is still going strong.

Didn't know that! I thought it was something unheard of, good to know.

• Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Ablinky said:
    I'm 22 so I feel my yout sentiments can be heard. I started coins when I was about 13 and have never stopped.

I’d say so. Thanks for posting your thoughts!

I've gone to Summer Seminar 5 times, every major coin show except Long Beach (I'm from Michigan) at least once, and have been involved in multiple coin clubs and have run numerous YN programs at conventions, and have seen this dynamic of young people only see the hobby as a business.

Sounds nice to get that much travel in! Do you have any advice for other YNs that may want to follow in your footsteps?

I like to think my future in the hobby will last a while as I've recently been hired full-time by Heritage...

Congrats Andrew! Glad to have you here. What will you be doing for Heritage? Will you be working with Mark Feld, also here?

Thanks, and yes. I will be in wholesale with Mr. Feld

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reason people collect coins is SIMPLE...they love of MONEY!; So.....when there are no more little boys stacking pennies and no more old men (same people just aged) stacking silver and gold, then yes, the hobby will be dead. Guess what? Never happen. Why? Because people love MONEY. Always have and always will. As Mark Twain said; "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.". Hey, all you YN's out there, relax, everything is fine. Besides, if the hobby were to die......think of the deals you could make. You youngsters would really mop-up. In the meantime,........RELAX!!!!!!

• Options
    MrMonkeySwag96MrMonkeySwag96 Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2019 5:06PM

Why did my old comment disappear?

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2019 6:29PM

@MrMonkeySwag96 said:

If edit your post’s too quickly (or too many times in a short amount of time) it’ll get poofed. Before hitting the “Post Comment” button it’s a good habit to copy (as in copy/paste) your post. If it posts then you can ignore the copy stored in the buffer. If it goes poof, at least, you’ll have a copy to paste into a new post.

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@MrMonkeySwag96 said:

If edit your post’s too quickly (or too many times in a short amount of time) it’ll get poofed. Before hitting the “Post Comment” button it’s a good habit to copy (as in copy/paste) your post. If it posts then you can ignore the copy stored in the buffer. If it goes poof, at least, you’ll have a copy to paste into a new post.

Interesting, thanks for the advice!

• Options
    edited April 27, 2019 1:59PM

As a millennial, I do believe coin collecting is dying. There are many reasons for this:

1) Young people don't appreciate history. If you ask any millennial, their least favorite subject is history. The reason why many people collect coins or other antiques is because of their historical value. I just don't see many millennials being interested in numismatics because of their lack of interest in history.

2) The Digital Age. All it takes to keep young people entertained is to give them an iPhone. They'll be glued to the screen for hours on social media, watching Netflix, or playing video games. Keep in mind, the older generations became interested in numismatics because they encountered silver coins in circulation. The same couldn't be said for millennials. Millennials grew up in a time when transactions are mostly electronic, such as credit cards, e-checks, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, cryptocurrency etc. Because of digital media, most young people don't have any hobbies. The concept of hobbies is non-existent in today's younger generations.

3) Most people are less interested in owning tangible possessions. Part of this problem is due to digital technology, as I mentioned earlier. Most coin related questions I've seen on Reddit are of people wishing to sell their inherited collections, asking what their coins are worth. People wanting to sell their parent's/grandparent's collections is evident in the lack of interest in numismatics. Today's society views coins and antiques as "clutter" that takes up space.

4) Older folks in coin shows. Go to any coin show and you'll realize the hobby is greying. In addition, there's less attendance. Yes, I realize the reason for lower attendance is because most people purchase their coins online. However, I'm pretty sure most people who purchase coins online are age 50+. I don't see any young people going on eBay to buy coins.

I believe we can save the hobby by getting young people interested in history. It's no surprise that millennials view history as a boring subject, considering public schools emphasize students regurgitating facts on standardized tests. It's up to parents to get their kids into coin collecting at an early age. The Great Recession in 2008 caused gold and silver prices to skyrocket, resulting in many people stacking precious metals. Some of these "stackers" would later become coin collectors. After all, coin collecting and precious metals were always linked.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ilikemonsters said:

An unfortunate observation about my generation is that young people are driven by money and profit.

Au contraire. I teach alot of your generation (18-27), in fact several hundred a year. The majority are not driven by money and profit. Far from it. Most are driven by a strong desire to survive, have relationships, and a fundamental reason for being - such as valued work. We must walk in different circles.............

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2019 6:16PM

@ilikemonsters said:
    An unfortunate observation about my generation is that young people are driven by money and profit. I know people that are around my age who only became interested in coins because they saw the potential to make a large profit and a living on coins. So much, that they don't actually care about the hobby itself or the history behind many areas of numismatics. IMO a YN who truly cares about the hobby is rare.

Reading this in retrospect is kind of funny, there has been an uproar on Instagram today since you cracked a PCGS graded coin out of a details holder to sell as problem free. I'd imagine your motive for doing so was to make a profit, or at the very least get your money back.

While you may feel this coin (see below) should straight grade at a TPG service, the community at large disagrees, and so did PCGS (having already given it a details grade). Instead of blocking the person who purchased the coin, who ultimately wanted to return it, why not just do the right thing and give their money back?

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why should this be removed and closed @ilikemonsters ?

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@clarkbar04 said:
    Why should this be removed and closed @ilikemonsters ?

Just my guess, it may have to do with the post from @Kyle just above yours.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kyle said:

@ilikemonsters said:
    An unfortunate observation about my generation is that young people are driven by money and profit. I know people that are around my age who only became interested in coins because they saw the potential to make a large profit and a living on coins. So much, that they don't actually care about the hobby itself or the history behind many areas of numismatics. IMO a YN who truly cares about the hobby is rare.

Reading this in retrospect is kind of funny, there has been an uproar on Instagram today since you cracked a PCGS graded coin out of a details holder to sell as problem free. I'd imagine your motive for doing so was to make a profit, or at the very least get your money back.

While you may feel this coin (see below) should straight grade at a TPG service, the community at large disagrees, and so did PCGS (having already given it a details grade). Instead of blocking the person who purchased the coin, and ultimately wanted to return it, why not just do the right thing and give their money back?

Interesting, another seller digging their feet in the sand about a return opting instead to leave someone unhappy with a coin ended up making things worse with the backlash. Who could ever see that coming?

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am 60 and have done Coins since I was 8 years old. After I was 13, I started raising a couple of litters of pigs each year and I was allowed to blow that hog money instead of saving it. Coins saw a big piece of that money.

There was a lot more discretionary money floating around n the late 1970s than today, and this was also true in the early 1990s and probably just before 2007. When people have lots of discretionary money, things get bubbly. Also, when silver is on a tear upwards, things get bubbly. Coins won't die, liquidity changes, values fluctuate. Change is natural and inevitable.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@Hemispherical said:
    Title is like a magnet.

Yeah he should change it to a guess the grade on a trime if he wants no one to open the thread

m

Now THAT'S the most humorous post I've read all week.
    Second thought, I wasn't aware Instagram has a coin following?

peacockcoins

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@Kyle said:

@ilikemonsters said:

While you may feel this coin (see below) should straight grade at a TPG service, the community at large disagrees, and so did PCGS (having already given it a details grade). Instead of blocking the person who purchased the coin, and ultimately wanted to return it, why not just do the right thing and give their money back?

Yup. That coin has obviously been cleaned. Cracking it out of details slab and then selling it raw without describing that problem to a potential buyer is totally dishonest.

The problem was described in the very beginning, BEFORE the buyer made an offer.....

The TrueView of the coin was sent to the buyer BEFORE an offer was made as well!

Here's the coin in question..
    https://images.pcgs.com/trueview/37346703_medium.jpg

Our host graded the coin "UNC Details Cleaned".

The thread title was changed because I didn't want something blowing up which didn't belong on the thread. What's beginning is completely off-topic..
    Hope this clarifies things...
    Have a good night!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Hemispherical said:
    Title is like a magnet.

Yeah he should change it to a guess the grade on a trime if he wants no one to open the thread

m

A lot of coin business amongst the young and savvy takes place on IG.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Auroaboralis, how was anything written considered off-topic? If anything, it bolsters your case within the original topic. Your TrueView certainly doesn't show a cleaned coin. And, unless someone looks up that PCGS number they wouldn't know it either.
    You've always owned truly attractive coins- some I'd be envious of (not jealous). Did this particular Instagram buyer get his refund?

peacockcoins

• Options
    edited May 16, 2019 7:46PM

@braddick said:
    Auroaboralis, how was anything written considered off-topic? If anything, it bolsters your case within the original topic. Your TrueView certainly doesn't show a cleaned coin. And, unless someone looks up that PCGS number they wouldn't know it either.
    You've always owned truly attractive coins- some I'd be envious of (not jealous). Did this particular Instagram buyer get his refund?

I am not Auroraborealis ?? I can only wish to own such marvelous coins!

• Options
    edited May 16, 2019 7:58PM

@ilikemonsters said:
    The problem was described in the very beginning, BEFORE the buyer made an offer.....

The TrueView of the coin was sent to the buyer BEFORE an offer was made as well!

The thread title was changed because I didn't want something blowing up which didn't belong on the thread. What's beginning is completely off-topic..
    Have a good night!

The buyer purchased the coin in good faith based on your in-hand description of the coin, which didn't mention hairlines covering the reverse.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options

::Whoops:: Sorry iLikeMonsters! I read a post a while back linking to the other member's Instagram and thought it was you.

Also, the silver lining to this thread I was able to practice what I recently learned the other day:

"Jealousy is when you worry someone will take what you have ... envy is wanting what someone else has.”

peacockcoins

• Options
    edited May 16, 2019 9:05PM

Time for a bigger shovel.

It’s clear you want the thread closed because you’re the problem you were initially complaining about.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@braddick said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Hemispherical said:
    Title is like a magnet.

m

A lot of coin business amongst the young and savvy takes place on IG.

m

That is putting it pretty generously for the IG coin collecting community... "saavy" >:) . IG is full of young wannabe "dealers" and drama, so I stay away from there for the most part.

@AUandAG said:
    Today's young folks (millennials) need instant gratification. They do not even own a Red Book it seems. Have to do everything online and if you can't do it online it can't be done. They are all cursed by the FOMO bug where they think that if they are not online and surfing they are being left out.
    They don't sit in an easy chair or at a desk with a book (reference preferable, not comic) and read. Nobody even says hello with their voice anymore....tap tap tap tap tap tap......tap tap tap.
    People should just throw those damn things away, use a land line and a computer at a desk.

bob :(
    Oh and for those that don't know I do not own a cell phone, baby. Wanna talk? 702-243-0936 and I probably will let the answering machine do it's job, so leave a message please, and I'll get back when I'm ready, damn ready. ;)

**Fomo
    | fōmō |

noun

a state of mental or emotional strain caused by the fear of missing out.**

Do you really think that a redbook is the end all be all of information for coin collectors? There are significantly better FREE educational resources online and high resolution photography of coins/varieties/die states along with ACCURATE price guides. If I used a redbook as a priceguide, I would be about 20-30% in the hole with each transaction, LOL.

Some of those FREE informational resources are: forums like this community, websites like coinfacts and the Newman Numismatic Portal and photograde. Websites like Ebay/heritage/GreatCollections sold listing are invaluable to use as a way to price coins and another free US priceguide is numismedia.com. Sure books are an important resource to have and use, however, there are other more accurate and robust resources to use.

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very interesting thread that took an unexpected twist. I started reading it and wondered why a good intentioned thread regarding YN would want to be closed. It brings up all sorts or buying and selling issues and moral and ethical ones as well. Good luck to all involved.

Oh, and for the OP...just return the money. I understand you have a stance on it but more damage will be done by taking a hard-lined stance than just trying to make a buyer happy. It's your reputation. Think long term...

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's good to know that millennials have no interest in history.
    Their influence should be short lived. :)

• Options
    edited May 17, 2019 7:53AM

@Kyle said:

@ilikemonsters said:

Have a good night!

The buyer purchased the coin in good faith based on your in-hand description of the coin, which didn't mention hairlines covering the reverse.

Just to add to my point above, if the coin had sold on eBay, where it was listed before you received the offer on Instagram, when were you going to tell that buyer about the details holder and harsh cleaning? There was no mention of either in the listing title or description.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good thread! >:)

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here you go. This is xf

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭

Are you the same chracter self proclaimed expert on about not being able to return dimes when opened the unslabbed holders and wanted a return and called out the seller?

Gary ?

• Options
    edited May 17, 2019 11:02AM

@giantsfan20 said:
    Are you the same chracter self proclaimed expert on about not being able to return dimes when opened the unslabbed holders and wanted a return and called out the seller?

Gary ?

This is an alt but one in the same.

• Options

@giantsfan20 said:

Gary ?

Oh yeah. I remember that thread.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh...geez...is this Gary? That was one heck of a hot mess thread.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes, selling cleaned coins broken out of details holders without telling about the problems? Yup, some "young people are driven by money and profit" it seems...........

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kyle said:

@Kyle said:

@ilikemonsters said:

Have a good night!

Just to add to my point above, if the coin had sold on eBay, where it was listed before you received the offer on Instagram, when were you going to tell that buyer about the details holder and harsh cleaning? There was no mention of either in the listing title or description.

The coin looks AT as hell anyway.

• Options

@TomB said:
    Oh...geez...is this Gary?

Yes it is.

@spacehayduke said:
    Yikes, selling cleaned coins broken out of details holders without telling about the problems? Yup, some "young people are driven by money and profit" it seems...........

Still no offer for a full refund according to the person who purchased the coin.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kyle said:

@TomB said:
    Oh...geez...is this Gary?

Yes it is.

@spacehayduke said:

Still no offer for a full refund according to the person who purchased the coin.

If that is the case.........back to the top!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file