Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess The Grade 1916 P Trueviewed Lincoln Cent

BeefCurry808BeefCurry808 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 21, 2019 5:43PM in U.S. Coin Forum

And to answer further questions, no not a proof, just a sharp 16 business strike. No cheating.

Comments

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

That set of dies saw a lot of planchets before they struck this one. I personally like the look of worn dies and I like the slight woody appearance of the reverse. It appears to be pretty close to the RB/BN line, I'd say 66RB. PCGS is not as much of a fan of the woody look though and tend to be a bit tougher. I bet they called it 65RB.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

66BN?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

65BN.

• Options
    ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

65RB

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

66RB

Love it!

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ilmcoins said:
    65RB

My grade too.

• Options
    Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

Not much to complain about with this one! Nice coin! I absolutely LOVE the wood grain on the reverse!! I'm guessing a 66BN. I do have one question, tho: what is the spot on the obv rim, near "IN"?

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

• Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

63/64 BN

• Options
    dagingerbeastttdagingerbeasttt Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

65 BN

• Options
    JasonGamingJasonGaming Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

66RB.

Always buying nice toned coins! Searching for a low grade 1873 Arrows DDO Dime and 1842-O Small Date Quarter.

• Options

@Eric_Babula said:
    Not much to complain about with this one! Nice coin! I absolutely LOVE the wood grain on the reverse!! I'm guessing a 66BN. I do have one question, tho: what is the spot on the obv rim, near "IN"?

The spot is a flanchet flaw from when I was looking at it. The grade is a bit shocking based on everyone’s reviews. I took the flaw into account but still couldn’t figure it out. Tomorrow I will reveal the grade

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS64 max, 1916 is well known for great strikes but this coin shows very low luster and that alone precludes a gem grade. Add to that the wood grain look which can be viewed as negative in the eye appeal segment of grading and it wont grade better than 64.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess 64RB.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jtlee321 That set of dies saw a lot of planchets before they struck this one. I personally like the look of worn dies and I like the slight woody appearance of the reverse.

Please tell me what you see to indicate worn dies from this photo? Just trying to learn.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

Tough to cheat as you didn't share the cert #, but assuming there's very little luster I'm in the 63 RB camp. It may be my monitor, but the picture in very dark so I'm also assuming no AU 58 rub.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2019 11:28PM

I like it.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

I may be getting conservative in my old age, I am thinking 63BN. After reading comments, I would modify that to 64BN, 63RB

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 63 BN.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lusterlover said:
    Tough to cheat as you didn't share the cert #, but assuming there's very little luster I'm in the 63 RB camp. It may be my monitor, but the picture in very dark so I'm also assuming no AU 58 rub.

There are several members who saw it when it was posted on Instagram a week or two ago.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 rb nice I like

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

64RB..

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec said:

@lusterlover said:

There are several members who saw it when it was posted on Instagram a week or two ago.

Including me, so I'll be quiet.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gonna say 64BN, assuming it has a little more luster than the photos suggest.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

Hello everyone. I really wish I could attach videos to show that it’s not dull by any means. It’s not a luster bomb but it definitely has life to it. This 1916 p graded out as a 63 RB. I thought personally it would have been at least a 64 bn, due to the planchet flaw and the cheek nick. But otherwise I was quite surprised myself. I see some people got it right and others well were in my boat. I really appreciate the guesses. I think I’m gonna have Pcgs remove the lint they decided to leave in the slab and then send it to cac. I’m quite curious if cac would sticker it. This is a personal collection piece so I don’t mind spending a few bucks to add a cac.

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with it and enjoy!

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BeefCurry808 said:
    Hello everyone. I really wish I could attach videos to show that it’s not dull by any means. It’s not a luster bomb but it definitely has life to it. This 1916 p graded out as a 63 RB. I thought personally it would have been at least a 64 bn, due to the planchet flaw and the cheek nick. But otherwise I was quite surprised myself. I see some people got it right and others well were in my boat. I really appreciate the guesses. I think I’m gonna have Pcgs remove the lint they decided to leave in the slab and then send it to cac. I’m quite curious if cac would sticker it. This is a personal collection piece so I don’t mind spending a few bucks to add a cac.

Make a .gif.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was very surprised when I looked this up after my guess. While it does not have screaming luster, I thought for sure it deserved more than a 63.

@jesbroken said:
    @jtlee321 That set of dies saw a lot of planchets before they struck this one. I personally like the look of worn dies and I like the slight woody appearance of the reverse.

Please tell me what you see to indicate worn dies from this photo? Just trying to learn.
    Jim

You can see the evidence in the texture of the fields, the way it is very rough looking, the die erosion around the devices, especially IGWT on the obverse. There are quite a bit of die polish lines on the reverse as well as a few on the reverse where work was done to extend the life of the die.

If you were to compare this example to an example struck from fresh dies, the sharpness of detail would be quite a bit stronger and the overall appearance would be much cleaner. Like I said though, I'm a bit different in that I like the way this one looks. I love very early die state coins and very late die state coins. It's just something that draws me to them.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Imo this coin will not sticker at CAC, but if you have the ability to submit as a collector where you are not charged for the ones that fail to sticker then why not. Either way update us on the results if you send it in.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regardless of this coin's grade, I think it is extremely attractive and would love to own one like it.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm too late to guess the grade but a nice looking Lincoln. :)

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS64? I currently do not collect cents but that one looks sweet.

• Options
    Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

@BeefCurry808 said:

Woah, only a 63!?! Man, was I off! Yikes!

I love it, no matter the grade!

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

• Options

I will come back to this post if and when I do submit it to CAC.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file