Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

How to identify true and false of ancient coins?

How to identify true and false of ancient coins? Which aspects should I pay attention to?

Tagged:

Comments

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Casting bubbles, casting seams on the edge, too low or too high weight for the types.

There are a lot and some really good fakes too,

• @bronzemat Is there any criterion about too low or too high weight?

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

nope, just know what the coin type is and so on.

Good site for fakes is:
    \https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/

• @RogerB Thanks a lot! :)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have enough with U.S. coins.... trying to authenticate ancient coins would send my brain into overload... :D Cheers, RickO

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

if he does not test according to the law, let the {official} beat him fifty lashes with the [whip]. If anyone does not accept whatever silver currency the Tester has approved, let everything that he offers for sale on [that] day be confiscated.
    :o

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

By all means let's give an exhaustive list of what NOT to do so as to give the foreign manufacturer here an advantage. ;)

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@karenren said:
    How to identify true and false of ancient coins? Which aspects should I pay attention to?

There so many. What ancient coins are you looking to collect?

Narrow your focus or you’ll be inundated. Once you’ve done that finding good reference material in print and online.

Posting in the World and Ancient forum may help to focus since this is the US Coin forum.

https://forums.collectors.com/categories/world-ancient-coins-forum

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same question I had when I started collecting ancients.
    A reputable dealer is the way to go.
    Recommending baby steps.
    pm if you need any hints

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep in mind that ancients were counterfeited in ancient times as well. In addition, some modern counterfeits are made by melting down very low grade examples of the coins to be counterfeited and so have the correct metal content. You have to look at many, many coins to get a feel for what the originals really did look like. Even then, modern counterfeiters who use ancient striking techniques and have knowledge of how the original dies were made can produce very dangerous copies.

All glory is fleeting.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ancients deserve full commitment. When TPGs won't even guarantee authenticity, you're pretty much on your own.
    I have two. Got them before I knew there was no guarantee of authenticity. Will get no more. :)

• MrMonkeySwag96MrMonkeySwag96 Posts: 118 ✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    Ancients deserve full commitment. When TPGs won't even guarantee authenticity, you're pretty much on your own.
    I have two. Got them before I knew there was no guarantee of authenticity. Will get no more. :)

Ancients do deserve full commitment. Ancient numismatics is an academic field. Collectors of that stuff need to be knowledgeable about classical history. In addition they need to be able to read Greek and Latin. Knowledge of history is useful in attributing ancient coins. In fact, I'd argue historical knowledge is more important in collecting ancient coins than US coins.

• @ Hemispherical OK, I know. Thanks for you suggestion. :)