Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG 1869 seated dollar

Picked this up not too long ago. Anyone care to guess the grade? Sorry that the photos are not the best.

Comments

• Options
    zas107zas107 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Better obverse photos

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pr63dcam

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS64(PL)

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it’s not a 65 and it’s not a 62. Hard to tell what’s going on in the fields but the devices are certainly 64 quality

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 PL.

• Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

PR62CAM

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

64CAM

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS63DMPL

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 63 based on the pictures... may well be better in hand... or worse... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin doesn't look like a business strike to me. My guess would be PR63 or PR64 CAM. Usually, I confine my grade guesses to a single point, but the images are (far) shy of ideal.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even though he doesn't like to give opinions based on pictures, I'm paging @RogerB to cosign @MFeld's opinion. And mine.

Has anyone here ever seen or heard of a Seated $1 in DMPL? Likely one existed, however, this piece is a lot "proofier" than that. ;)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

Pr64cam

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more I look at it, I agree, it looks like a proof...

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

PR62

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s raining 1869’s lately !!

Cool coin. 63CAM

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to be a wise guy, but I see lot's of luster breaks on the obverse device and chatter in the fields, I'm probably wrong and in the minority, but it looks like a PR58 to me.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2019 10:24AM

@Rollerman said:
    Not to be a wise guy, but I see lot's of luster breaks on the obverse device and chatter in the fields, I'm probably wrong and in the minority, but it looks like a PR58 to me.

"No soup for you" - Seinfeld reference

Look at PR62CAM and better coins at HA.com archives to get better in tune :)

The biggest problem in evaluating this piece is how to interpret what are likely to be some combination of poor imaging, cloudy plastic and over-dipping

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Methinks MS but could be mistaken. See the Norweb 1852 for a proofy mintstate coin

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

My very first impression of this was that of a Proof. I don't think it was well taken care of over the years. I'd call it a PR-62 CAM.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proof 63 Cam

• Options
    edited April 23, 2019 5:35PM

@tradedollarnut said:
    Methinks MS but could be mistaken. See the Norweb 1852 for a proofy mintstate coin

No argument, but easily diagnosable from die characteristics. I'd find it much much easier to believe that a superb production technique in 1869 could produce "proofy" fabric.

I bought the Norweb 1852 $1 Restrike which I sold to Jesse Lipka about a month after that sale. Apples and oranges, and no lack of credit to the proofs. An 1852 MS is a helluva tough coin, but on that one coin the proofiness never confused you, did it?

Pictures?

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2019 5:29PM

PR 62 Cam

• Options
    BGERRISHBGERRISH Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

Proof Mint State 62 Cameo

• Options
    zas107zas107 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

It is Graded Ms-63+ by PCGS. Forgot to take a full slab photo before putting back in the SDB. Thanks for the guesses all! The coin is VERY deeply mirrored, but is definitely a business strike. I suspect if submitted to NGC they would at a minimum call it prooflike.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@zas107 said:
    It is Graded Ms-63+ by PCGS. Forgot to take a full slab photo before putting back in the SDB. Thanks for the guesses all! The coin is VERY deeply mirrored, but is definitely a business strike. I suspect if submitted to NGC they would at a minimum call it prooflike.

That’s a very impressive looking business strike!

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

I'm late to the game, but based on the pics I would have guessed PR-63, also.

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin.

Very choice.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights