Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Great article from across the street

WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 19, 2019 5:33PM in U.S. Coin Forum

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/7371/

I started my set 14 years ago and I'm almost finished but I feel more like the tortoise rather than the hare.

I've met some wonderful people in the business along the way and that has helped me a great deal.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Walkerfan that is an interesting article. I do like the author’s sentence about how new knowledgeable people are coming into this hobby and how true it is that money can/is a factor in deciding their focus.

“The new band of Coindexters is the future of this evolving numismatic enterprise and the world’s greatest hobby, and may take any lane on the track that suits their respective budget.”

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great read. Thanks! I have been at it for a few years, on a modest budget, and I can see how the collecting experiences, if you let them, really start to build into something bigger than you realize. Eventually knowledge and focussed direction start to become a part of the journey.

• Options

Good reading. Better advice. The very first suggestion can save lots of buyer's remorse and unnecessary upset.

First, I suggest that if you are new to the hobby, seek out a mentor. Attend local shows in your area. You can look at all of the “pretty shiny” coins on websites of prominent dealers, yet those images are quite pale in comparison to the real first-hand experience at shows.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good article. Also interesting that he ran the Boston Marathon so many times. I know there are a few runners in the hobby (RYK and Coinosaurus come to mind) but walking around a show, you see a lot of folks that would benefit from selling on a few coins and buying a treadmill. I would "fit" that category these days myself.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting reading, thank you for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the link and interesting article.... His premise is correct when looking at many professions and pastimes...I saw the same in business and I see the same in the field of firearms now that I am full time instructing. I also believe that we never stop learning... unless we are mentally dead. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice read

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file