Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which would you prefer and why?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ten Gem quality coins that are raw or the same ten coins that are slabbed.

Comments

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The former, if cheaper than the latter.

:)

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slabbed

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll pick slabbed as the price of slabbing is NOT a part of the OP's question. Therefore, a coin of identical quality is better, worth more, easier to sell, etc. when it is slabbed. Once you own it it can be cracked out.

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

Too many variables, flip a coin. :)

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cheaper option.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slabbed...…..because...…………………...

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    Ten Gem quality coins that are raw or the same ten coins that are slabbed.

Did they sticker? :# To many here, the coins don't matter and aren't the "real deal" unless stickered.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2019 7:31AM

Slabbed - they get more money, more liquid.

Raw best offer off bourse will probably be MS60 money if that much.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slabbed
    I think about my heirs in case I'm not immortal plus I do keep a few registry sets to fit them in potentially.

With ancients, I just do not enjoy slabbed coins period.

• Options

Slabbed by PCGS or, second choice, NGC

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the replies so far folks.

Many of you have indicated what your choice would be, but did not give the reason(s) for your choice. I invite you to reply again and give your reason(s).

The answers to the question I posed and the reason(s) for the answers given are what gives this thread the potential for being very interesting.

• Options
    EdtheloraxEdthelorax Posts: 229 ✭✭✭

Slabbed for protection.

http://www.silverstocker.com
    Anyone can PM me Any Time about Any thing.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slabbed for authenticity.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slabbed is always better than raw!

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would need to have the opportunity to examine each one, then make that determination.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    Thanks for the replies so far folks.

Many of you have indicated what your choice would be, but did not give the reason(s) for your choice. I invite you to reply again and give your reason(s).

The answers to the question I posed and the reason(s) for the answers given are what gives this thread the potential for being very interesting.

Very interesting, indeed.

• Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

Slabbed to have some assurance of authenticity.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2019 8:00PM

I'd prefer to buy 10 raw gem quality coins from a dealer that can only grade slabbed coins >:)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    dagingerbeastttdagingerbeasttt Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

Depends on the coins

• Options
    MrMonkeySwag96MrMonkeySwag96 Posts: 118 ✭✭✭

Slabbed. I'm afraid of sneezing on my coins lol

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d readily take the identical 10 gem coins in PCGS slabs, even if I had to pay the grading and shipping fees, even though that meant I would not have the pleasure of handling them, for the following reasons:
    1. Greatly reduce the chance of accidental damage through improper handling;
    2. When the time came to sell, whether by me or my heirs, having them slabbed greatly reduces the buyers ability to dispute the grade and/or authenticity.

Once graded, I would then “invest” $145 plus round trip shipping of the 10 gem coins to CAC.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the ten coins were verified by an expert and then the decision had to be made as to slab or not, I would keep them as raw... but if there was the slightest chance that they may not straight grade, then slabbed

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stupid question...….or is it?
    I currently have slabbed coins in my collection (from all three grading services) that I would call suspect.

I would prefer the raw coins thank you!

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's all offered free, I'd like all my coins to have slabs. And stickers. And certificates of authenticity. And letters of recommendation. And letterof introduction. And frames for the slabs. And velvet pouches. And wooden boxes. And silk bags. And glass display cases. And police motorcades. And national news coverage. And granite monuments. And gtrat pyramids over the whole thing, with fireworks and sky spotlights and recorded music playing.

Why not?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭✭

If priced the same, I'd take the PCGS holdered coins, crack them all out and put the coins into nice #145 Capital holders, and then send the tags back to PCGS for the .50 each.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

Is this a trick question? If you prefer them raw, it costs you nothing to bust them out. One scenario, slabbed, allows either preference with zero cost. The other scenario, raw, requires that the slabbed preference subsequently costs money. Why would anybody pick raw?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would pick raw.... Then I would select those I wanted to submit. I do not sell coins, so I am selective. I would then put any remaining coins in airtites or self slab for protection...I enjoy having raw coins and slabbed. I sometimes give raw coins as gifts to non-collectors for special occasions... most non-collectors seem to enjoy the raw coin more than entombed coins. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file