Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which would you prefer and why?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ten Gem quality coins that are raw or the same ten coins that are slabbed.

Comments

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

If price is the same then I'd rather the slabbed ones.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

_I prefer 10 RARE and I mean Rare RAW Gem quality coins and a walk through at PCGS. Oh the excitement, the anticipation. It's better than the first time I got a Date to agree to go to the lake one night in my Camaro and watch the submarine races.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2019 11:42AM

@Soldi said:
    _I prefer 10 RARE and I mean Rare RAW Gem quality coins and a walk through at PCGS. Oh the excitement, the anticipation. It's better than the first time I got a Date to agree to go to the lake one night in my Camaro and watch the submarine races.

My '54 Chrysler didn't have a record player but I worked around
    that

Slabbed to the OP 😀

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely no doubt I would rather pay to have those same 10 gem coins graded by PCGS rather than keeping them raw, even paying the grading fees and round trip shipping. Yes, I forego the pleasure of holding them, but I gain:

1. Protecting them to a large extent from accidental damage.
    2. When the time comes to sell, either by me or my heirs, minimizing the arguments over grade and authenticity by the buyer.
    3. Adding them to my “boys game” of the Registry.
    4. Depending on the dates, grades, etc., in all likelihood then spending just $145 for the 10 coins plus round trip shipping to CAC.
    A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all things being equal, I prefer the 10 graded coins !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe this is a duplicate post.... Replied to the other one already.... ;) And have not changed my mind... :D Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file