Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone have some images of a **ROLLED EDGE** error coin?

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've heard of these but would like to see some examples please

Comments

• Options

Think I've heard of it too, but sorry nothing from me... I'd like to see one myself so far all I've found is the usual (die cracks/cuds) I did find a nickel with doubled America as well as one that appears to have been in the beginning of being made into a ring but someone decided it was too much work... I've been at this I guess a year and have recently gotten a bit more in depth since I've learned more... so the doubled nickel I guess was my first 'big' find on my own (I have an older relative who has a major collection so I've learned some from him but mostly googling examples of error coins)

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@insider2, can you describe the error?

I'm sure you're not talking about coins whose edges have been rolled from tumbling around a dryer (since they're not errors).

Nor are you wondering about roll-wrapping flaws. (I have a nice example.)

Are you referring to errors from rolling mills?
    Lance.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2019 9:54AM

The term "rolled edge" was falsely applied to some 1907 Saint-Gaudens Eagles that have a normal rim compared to the knife rim found on the small number of pieces with periods on the reverse.

This false term comes from --- drum roll srerererererereres --- the very lovely Wally Breen.

[See Renaissance of American Coinage 1905-1908 for facts and details.]

• Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    @insider2, can you describe the error?

I'm sure you're not talking about coins whose edges have been rolled from tumbling around a dryer (since they're not errors).

Lance.

As one of my former jobs I tore apart all manor of appliances, including dryers. I found literally thousands of coins in dryers, I even once found a ten dollar bill. Not one single coin I ever found had an edge rolled like what so many on this and other forums hold up as "dryer coins". I have to call BS on the whole phenomenon of dryer coins. The edge was damaged another way in my mind.

• Options

My interest is piqued. Sounds like a term that professional collectors might best understand or describe- but not me.

I would be interested in seeing a photo as well that shows what a "rolled edge" really looks like. In my mind it is a coin that has the edge/ridge crimped or folded over maybe?

If anybody has a photo, please share.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never heard the term used with respect to errors.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have only heard this term applied to coins being formed for jewelry... and that would be PMD...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

Are you thinking of a "rolling fold"?

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aegis3 said:

Possibly? Not interested in altered edges or PMD. Finally got an image of something unusual:

The coin shows no evidence of damage. Possibly a lamination but I cannot touch the coin. Appears that something sheared a part of the rim. If this were common there would be images and description all over the web.

Thanks for replies!

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@Aegis3 said:

Possibly? Not interested in altered edges or PMD. Finally got an image of something unusual:

The coin shows no evidence of damage. Possibly a lamination but I cannot touch the coin. Appears that something sheared a part of the rim. If this were common there would be images and description all over the web.

Thanks for replies!

How is this an error? That is post-strike movement of metal.

Even if it was originally a rim burr, it would be difficult to tell due to the damage incurred after the strike.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file