Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just received my latest addition to my Variety Type Set - A real neat Shield Nickel!

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin has it all as far as a variety. Both obverse and reverse. The obverse has a wild repunched date on all 4 digits. The reverse is is the reverse of 68 variety and is either the FS-902 or FS-903. The C & S on CENTS is completely broken and the 1st "S" in STATES is almost completely broken. I really like this coin as it is also a pretty nice grade. Your thoughts? Thanks for looking. :)

Comments

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

pretty cool coin, i like the date, congrats on ur pickup

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

The varieties are interesting but the coin appears to be overgraded. As someone who once collected Shield Nickels very seriously I would have never accepted that coin as an AU55. I was never a fan of TPG grading of circulated Shield Nickels.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:
    The varieties are interesting but the coin appears to be overgraded. As someone who once collected Shield Nickels very seriously I would have never accepted that coin as an AU55. I was never a fan of TPG grading of circulated Shield Nickels.

I think if you saw the coin in hand you would change your mind. It has lots of mint luster that I did not capture in the photo.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@291fifth said:

I think if you saw the coin in hand you would change your mind. It has lots of mint luster that I did not capture in the photo.

Photo quality certainly does vary. From those photos the coin appears very dull with no luster,

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@291fifth said:

I like it. And an AU coin with luster is always a nice coin imo.

• Options

@291fifth said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@291fifth said:

Photo quality certainly does vary. From those photos the coin appears very dull with no luster,

I can certainly see how you would think that based on my photo. I have a hard time capturing luster on a blazing MS67 Mercury Dime. :/

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sure none of my FS-90x varieties are also a RPD. Pretty cool.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

@dbldie55 said:
    I am sure none of my FS-90x varieties are also a RPD. Pretty cool.

Would you call this a 902 or 903 reverse?

• Options
    dagingerbeastttdagingerbeasttt Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

Double whammie variety, nice pick up

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mongo approved

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick up!

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice Shield nickel pickup!

Full date RPM and letter breaks.

Leaning to FS-902 since there is a bit of the top of the S still there.

CoinFacts FS-902

CoinFacts FS-903

• Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭

Nice addition!

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would call this the FS-902. My 902 has a "thin" top to the S as well, but my 903 is completely missing it.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! Be sure to keep an eye out for some of the MONSTER doubled dies to be found in this series.

• Options
    TrazTraz Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭

Yo dime you doing a complete set? I’m doing one in the side. Not much competition but if it’s on the label it’s been rough lately. Been cherry picking myself.

• Options

@Traz said:
    Yo dime you doing a complete set? I’m doing one in the side. Not much competition but if it’s on the label it’s been rough lately. Been cherry picking myself.

No, this was just for my Variety Type Set. I'm looking at a real neat w/rays variety for the other Shield Nickel.

• Options
    Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

No, this was just for my Variety Type Set. I'm looking at a real neat w/rays variety for the other Shield Nickel.

Is your Variety Type Set made up of all PCGS holdered coins? How are you storing/displaying the set? I was planning on working on a Type Set, but will probably be all raw coins......we'll see.

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin.
    I like it....Shield Nickels are awesome!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin Jon.... a two-sider makes it special.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Eric_Babula said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Is your Variety Type Set made up of all PCGS holdered coins? How are you storing/displaying the set? I was planning on working on a Type Set, but will probably be all raw coins......we'll see.

Right now my Variety Type Set is in the Showcase section under Varieties. I plan on putting them in the Type Set section under 7070 no Gold later.

• Options
    Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

Right now my Variety Type Set is in the Showcase section under Varieties. I plan on putting them in the Type Set section under 7070 no Gold later.

Oh, I was wondering how you kept them for personal display. Maybe you don't....lots of people keep their "valuable" (term is relative - my "valuable" could be your "junk" depending on how much $$$ you have to spend!) collections in safety deposit boxes, etc. When I finally get to it, I'll likely not have a high end Type Set, so I'll put my raw coins in a Dansco 7070 album.....probably. You know, if I win the lottery, all bets are off, and I'll be able to afford much nicer things! :smile:

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its fun to do these coins in a Showcase set of any title, group, etc. as we can see them, and the collector can share them. Nice coin Jon.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is too cool, Jon😎😎

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love Shield Nickels for some strange reason.
    Maybe because that they are so cool?

• Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

Nice RPD!

The reverse is neither FS-902 nor FS-903. Instead it is a transitional between those two varieties. CPG lists a transitional between one and two broken letters (the "step tail" C) but no other transitionals. Perhaps that will change in a future edition of CPG.

• Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

It is difficult to be positive from the provided photos, but I think the RPD is S2-3005 (SNV) and F-104 (Fletcher). Not listed in CPG.

• Options

@howards said:
    It is difficult to be positive from the provided photos, but I think the RPD is S2-3005 (SNV) and F-104 (Fletcher). Not listed in CPG.

Thanks for your input Howard. I will try and get the description on the photo changed. I have the 3005 and 104 on there already, but need to change the 900 info for the reverse.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file