Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Looking for a diagnosis for this error coin

Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found this nickel in a box yesterday. What phenomenon created the “canyon” on the obverse? As a side note, the reverse die is rotated approximately 90-degrees.

Comments

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a lamination that came off post strike to me.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

Here’s a sharper pic of the obverse:

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am going to guess struckthru. It does look a bit like a lamination but the jaggedness ends neatly next the rim. To me it looks like some jagged scrap landed on the coin prior to striking.

If that were not enough, it also has the significant die rotation.

Nice find!!

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2019 6:22AM

@Wahoo554 said:

Very nice errors @Wahoo554.

Jeff’s laser eye was so potent he upended the Monticello!

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sure is interesting :smile:
    Nice pics also.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a strike-thru to me.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

The faint series of lines to the lower right of the main defect lead me to believe it was a strike through rather than a planchet lamination.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote strike thru

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love double error coins.... very cool!!

• Options

Thanks for the compliments and insight! How rare is this type of double error on a Jeff nickel/is it financially worthwhile to get it slabbed?

On another note, it’s worth mentioning how amazing the box of nickels was that this came out of. In addition to this error, I found two buffaloes, about $3-4 worth of BU toned 1962, 1964 and 1973’s, about 30-40 pre-1960 nickels, a 1943-D war nickel, AND...a nice circulated 1950-D! Lots of good Thomas Jefferson karma going on both on the numismatic front and in the college basketball arena.

• Options

No idea on value but if it were mine I'd probably get it slabbed and keep it as a trophy. It is a great roll searching find.

Good job on the rest of the box - that is a good haul. I like searching nickels and I have never found a 1950 D in 10s of thousands searched.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

"is it financially worthwhile to get it slabbed?"

My dumb guess would be no. Had one on a modern nickel in MS that sold for $25.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wahoo554 said:
    Thanks for the compliments and insight! How rare is this type of double error on a Jeff nickel/is it financially worthwhile to get it slabbed?

On another note, it’s worth mentioning how amazing the box of nickels was that this came out of. In addition to this error, I found two buffaloes, about $3-4 worth of BU toned 1962, 1964 and 1973’s, about 30-40 pre-1960 nickels, a 1943-D war nickel, AND...a nice circulated 1950-D! Lots of good Thomas Jefferson karma going on both on the numismatic front and in the college basketball arena.

Sounds like you had a Wahoo good time with them nickels! :)

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not worth paying any fees to have it certified, imo

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

It may be worth sending to ICG. It is a lot cheaper to grade there, especially error coins.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Deep Strike Thru Error, Very Nice find!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a strike thru of a metal shard. That rotation is interesting. Nice pick up. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the under educated here [myself], can someone explain to me how a rotated die is created on a modern coin? :smile:
    Thanks

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

I assume the same way it always was....the press operator put the die in but did not get the positioning(rotation) correct. Either that or it was not secured tightly enough and it rotated as coins were struck. :)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool find.

• Options

@JBK said:
    I assume the same way it always was....the press operator put the die in but did not get the positioning(rotation) correct. Either that or it was not secured tightly enough and it rotated as coins were struck. :)

Could it be that whatever obstruction created the strike through caused the die to rotate? I don’t pretend to have a good understanding concerning the intricacies of the mechanics that go into the minting process. Seems too coincidental for the coin to have two errors that were not directly related to one another.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two different 'good' errors on coins are not rare at all.

The obv. error has nothing to do with the die rotating.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    Two different 'good' errors on coins are not rare at all.

The obv. error has nothing to do with the die rotating.

Interesting. Perhaps it was minted during the Mint’s happy hour.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wahoo554 said:

I'd say that's a National Championship box of Jeffs. Wahoowah!

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

The rotated die could be a fairly scarce error, and would have some value I would think (assuming this isn't a "sandwich" job or a magician's coin).

I think the coin would actually be worth more with the rotated die if it DIDN'T have the obverse detached scrap.

• Options

I know I would pay more with two errors instead of one.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it we're a defective planchet, there would be strike weakness on the reverse. Two errors is better than one.

thefinn
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a strike through... some sort of scrap material...tough enough to withstand striking pressure, but not retained. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file