Home Metal Detecting

New member and looking for info:

Hello All,

My name is Walt Altmen and soon to be newly retired after selling my altenator business. I live on the coast in South Carolina and was looking for a new hobby to consume my time in a healthy manner.

Considering the beaches, the amount of storms and hurricanes that frequent my area and the history associated with the county, what would be the best metal detector for a newbie? I’m looking for something more than the standard shelf unit, but I am also concerned with the weight, humidity and storage of said unit. Im looking for a solid unit to keep me enthused but also one that wont weigh me down or make it overly difficult should I cometely catch the detecting itch.

Any help or other tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walt_Altmen....Welcome aboard.... Metal detecting is a great hobby... and beach detecting can turn up interesting things.... I recommend White's Electronics detectors... High quality, advanced technology and fantastic customer service. You can review their units on the website, and a call to customer service can help you narrow down a selection. I recommend a unit suited for salt water/sand since beach searches and low water wading will definitely be necessary for best results. Let us know what you decide on and feel free to ask questions here as well. Cheers, RickO

• Walt_AltmenWalt_Altmen Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

Ricko,

That sounds like solid and practical advice. Thank you so much. Happy hunting.

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭

Minelab Equinox is your best option. It will work on salt water beaches and anywhere else. It is light, waterproof, and offers outstanding separation of targets.

I will definitely check out that brand as well. Being that I will soon be on a retirement budget, I just want to buy a quality piece. I am very worried about the weight as I continue to age. Thank you for the additional input.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever you get, make sure the unit is submersible and the headphones are waterproof. Surf noise is loud. You're gonna need the headphones. Wet sand mineralization can interfere with certain detectors. Use the Google to see all the long handle scoops. Chose wisely, some are heavy, ergonomics is key. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

@Walt_Altmen... You mentioned weight as a concern... they also have a harness that can reduce the weight through distribution over your shoulders and make it much easier. Check them out... Cheers, RickO

@Namvet69 said:
    Whatever you get, make sure the unit is submersible and the headphones are waterproof. Surf noise is loud. You're gonna need the headphones. Wet sand mineralization can interfere with certain detectors. Use the Google to see all the long handle scoops. Chose wisely, some are heavy, ergonomics is key. Peace Roy

Great advice with the headphones and the deafening surf! That didnt even cross my mind. Thank you!

@ricko said:
    @Walt_Altmen... You mentioned weight as a concern... they also have a harness that can reduce the weight through distribution over your shoulders and make it much easier. Check them out... Cheers, RickO

Will definitely check out the harness, thank you!

Does anybody have some solid advice in regards to combing the beach?

From what I have read, detecting at a dead low tide right after a major storm/hurricane seems to produce the best results?

That is a great time to detect beaches... a lot of territory to cover though.... also, wading in the water, just beyond the shore, where the first 'dip' in the sand is, often produces results. Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    That is a great time to detect beaches... a lot of territory to cover though.... also, wading in the water, just beyond the shore, where the first 'dip' in the sand is, often produces results. Cheers, RickO

Had not heard that but seems to make perfect cents! ;)

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the padded shoulder strap from a laptop carry bag. Free and works great. Use a small bungie at the T and the strap and hooks attach there. Oh yeah, sunscreen.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whites and Minelabs are great. Yes weight is an issue for sure. I suggest blinders like they have for horses.....those sunbathing babes can be very distracting!
    Oh, good sunglasses.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), [email protected]

@AUandAG said:
    Whites and Minelabs are great. Yes weight is an issue for sure. I suggest blinders like they have for horses.....those sunbathing babes can be very distracting!
    Oh, good sunglasses.

bob :)

More like a stick to beat them all away! 😉

If you have to beat the women away, I say put metal detecting on hold and have fun... :D:D Cheers, RickO

But we know how expensive they can be, hence the need to find buried treasure. Life’s cruel little games. 😃