Home U.S. Coin Forum

GTG - Guess the Grade of this stunning 1876 piece.

2»

Comments

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

I really like this coin in old holder without prongs in the way. Agree with Mark that grade and color is right on the money. Coin shows well in white holder. Can't ask for much more.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent door prize! Which of us wins it?
    ;)

• WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:
    CAC label has thumb print on it and may have to downgrade

Good Point. We need a service that will grade the condition of the sticker.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Soldi said:
    I will not excuse my ignorance in this coin grading discussion, but I have never seen color like that before and I was only off by 8 points. I mean right?

>
    Once a person decides there is no friction wear on a coin (BY THEIR PERSONAL STANDARDS because today a coin with loss of original luster due to friction wear can be considered "Unc Enough" for commercial practice) it is graded by the criteria used for MS coins. Color has always been a factor for grading copper but it has spilled over to all coins due to the eye appeal factor.

Don't be so hard on yourself! You graded the coin AU-58 which is OK as you saw enough wear on the coin to drop it from MS. But you are not really 8 points off because there is only a tiny difference between a true AU-58 and one graded commercially as a 65 or 66! It all depends on what you see and how much it affects you personally. I grade AU-58 coins MS-something all day long (with a note to others; w/rub - indicating it is my personal AU). I must follow the prevailing commercial standards.

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agreed with @Feldini. Except 66+ was in the hunt. Sweet piece :D

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file