Home Metal Detecting

Can anyone identify these?

I was given permission to detect a Mason's Lodge which was erected in 1903. First day I found 2 Lincoln cents, and about 30 of the items in the photo below. They are made of copper, the square is about 1/2" x 1/2", and the post is not sharp.

Anyone know what these are or used for?

photo IMG_20190413_094829939_zpsjlgja1fh.jpg

photo IMG_20190413_094807667_zpsfgr6owye.jpg

Oh how I LOVE this hobby!

Freedom isn't free, we must protect it. Many Thanks to all those in the U.S. Military and Law Enforcement, past and present, for taking lead in that fight.

Current equipment: Whites DFX 300; Tesoro Tiger Shark; Minelab CTX 3030.
Pin-ponters: Garrett Propointer AT; Minelab Pro Find 35

Best Answers

• CCDAMEEKCCDAMEEK Posts: 117 ✭✭✭

@49tacfw said:
    I'll Take a try at them Brother, we use them in the pipe fitting trades as insulation blanket mount anchors. The stud is copper and the cap is sheet metal now. A spot welder pops the copper stud on and then it pokes a hole through the fiberglass blanket and you push the sheet metal in the stud to hold it down. When asbestos was troweled on equipment back in the day those heavy anchors were welded on the unit to get it to stick to the asbestos to stay on the unit. Just an idea! :)

OK.....How does sheet metal get pushed "in the stud" to hold everything together, with the stud being so dull? Going through the asbestos or fiberglass, no problem. Pretty certain that that old 1906 Lodge sure would have had asbestos insulation on the heating system! Just can't picture in my mind what your describing, but I certainly trust your expertise on the subject matter!!!

Freedom isn't free, we must protect it. Many Thanks to all those in the U.S. Military and Law Enforcement, past and present, for taking lead in that fight.

Answers

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps coat hangers just not attached yet?

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), [email protected]

@AUandAG said:
    Perhaps coat hangers just not attached yet?

bob

Appreciate the thought, but these things are so small they really couldn't be used for something like that.

I found these in the ground on three sides of the old lodge, and I never got to work the forth side. That said, I'm thinking they may have been used somehow on the exterior of the building. Initially I was thinking a roofing nail/retainer of some kind, but not being sharp kind of blows that thought!

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭

I believe those are old roofing nails.

edited April 14, 2019 9:52AM

@Bayard1908 said:
    I believe those are old roofing nails.

That's what I was thinking, but not one of these 30+ that I found, has ANY kind of a sharp point on the post, so I think that kind of rules that idea out? There ARE roofing nails today that look similar, but all have sharp points to pound them in. THANK YOU for replying though!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting items... I was thinking part of a rivet for siding... but do not know of any just like that... Cheers, RickO

• I've seen something similar...or had something similar in my misc hardware bin...I want to say they had something to do with window shades or drapes, but can't confirm.

"A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
    edited April 28, 2019 3:28PM

@windwhispersintrees said:
    I've seen something similar...or had something similar in my misc hardware bin...I want to say they had something to do with window shades or drapes, but can't confirm.

Yep, Something similar indeed. Old round curtain rods used hardware that looks exactly like these, with the exception of having four holes on the flat copper part to allow for little copper nails to attach them to the window trim! Great thinking though!! I actually have several in my misc. hardware bin! :)

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CCDAMEEK said:
    I was given permission to detect a Mason's Lodge which was erected in 1903. First day I found 2 Lincoln cents, and about 30 of the items in the photo below. They are made of copper, the square is about 1/2" x 1/2", and the post is not sharp.

Anyone know what these are or used for?

photo IMG_20190413_094829939_zpsjlgja1fh.jpg

photo IMG_20190413_094807667_zpsfgr6owye.jpg

I think @49tacfw hit the nail on the head. Since it’s copper it might be an early version of “lacing anchors” or “insulation hangers.”

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ask Tom Silva on "This Old House". He is a wealth of information.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

Definitely old roofing nails, I find them in my yard all the time.

@basetsb_coins on Instagram