Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Monticello full steps

Having in my possession over 3000 Jeffersons collected by a deceiced collector before 1980 what constitutes full steps

A world without coins "Chaos"

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best to look it up on the internet - images and all. Nothing can mar the horizontal grooves for a "purist."

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our host’s definition:

“Jefferson Nickels: MS60 or better, at least five complete steps must appear on Monticello. Any steps that join or fuse together, whether created that way or subsequently damaged, cannot be considered for the Full Steps designation.”

https://www.pcgs.com/grades/#gradeFS

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Our host’s definition:

“Jefferson Nickels: MS60 or better, at least five complete steps must appear on Monticello. Any steps that join or fuse together, whether created that way or subsequently damaged, cannot be considered for the Full Steps designation.”

https://www.pcgs.com/grades/#gradeFS

good to have for future reference

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2019 11:02AM

Here's a great source for numerous definitions.
    https://en.mimi.hu/numismatic/full_steps.html

My short version: Full Steps = Full Strike.......quite simple.

Full Steps: a Jefferson Nickel with complete details on the steps leading up to Monticello, indicating a rare full strike.
    full strike: a coin that has complete details thanks to a crisp, bold stamp from the dies.

I almost like this one:
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/category/nickels/jefferson-nickel/type-1-original-design-vintage-1938-1964/678
    All of the date/mintmark combinations in this series are common, although there are many strike- and condition-rarities. Strike-rarities are those with Full Steps; condition-rarities are those with exceptionally high grades. Many collectors focus on the separation of the steps leading up to Monticello as the standard for a fully struck coin. Thus, the premiums paid for Full Step Nickels are often substantial compared to softly struck examples. Some of the greatest Full Step rarities stem from the 1950s and 1960s, when quality control at the Mints seems to have been at its lowest. Condition-rarities arise from the hardness of the nickel alloys used on these coins and the general carelessness with which they were handled during the minting process.

The 1950-D Nickel garnered lots of publicity in the 1960s, when roll collecting was at its peak. While not a particularly rare, or even scarce, coin, the 1950-D attracted many collectors and speculators because it had the lowest mintage of the series. Even today, the 1950-D is remembered as the "toughest" date in the series, but there are many coins that are worth considerably more in high grades, with Full Steps, or a combination of the two. By Ron Guth

Of course, combining the substance from both above paragraphs, many Jefferson nickels are worth even more with full strikes, in high grades, with Full Steps, or a combination of all three.

And outstanding toning?..........let's not forget about how much more appealing a coin can be with beautiful toning.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE: "Having in my possession over 3000 Jeffersons collected by a deceiced [sic] collector before 1980 what constitutes full steps."

Hmmmm.....In your case, I think "full steps" means being able to carry all 3,000 up the front porch steps - without major back injury. :)

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2019 1:18PM

Look at some proofs.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

My friend sent me this picture today and I believe it would qualify:

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect you are about to waste a lot of time and eyesight on your 3000 nickels. Even if you find one with full steps it will have to be in a high mint state grade to really garner any collector interest. Further, you will have to have it slabbed and authenticated for both grade and full steps. This will cost a considerable sum. As I said in an earlier post, is the time and effort you spend trying to get some money out of these nickels really going to be worth the effort?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless they are all uncirculated, I'd forget steps and instead look for varieties and errors.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think people are missing the fact that you have many uncirculated rolls from the 60's. FS nickels of that era are very few and far between and would definitely be worth the effort of searching. I would love going through those if I had the chance.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland I was there a few years ago and surprised to count 7 steps at the rear porch of Monticello which is the image on our Jefferson nickels.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    I think people are missing the fact that you have many uncirculated rolls from the 60's. FS nickels of that era are very few and far between and would definitely be worth the effort of searching. I would love going through those if I had the chance.

Yes you are right. I also missed the connection to the other threads - its the 3rd thread on these nickels!

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@ChrisH821 said:

Yes you are right. I also missed the connection to the other threads - its the 3rd thread on these nickels!

Nickel-thread-aholic

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Here are a couple pics of an SEGS 1963-D 5 steps/nicks/bridges

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2019 3:03PM

Steps have to be complete. The pictured coin (above) does not qualify. (However, the tilt kind-a resembles the photo.....)

Oops....another earthquake in Charlottesville. Must have been the basketball championship party!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck... while clearly defined (IMO), there are always debates here on particular coins... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    davids5104davids5104 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:

:D

some of these may have been altered or repaired, which drops value

[Ebay Store - Come Visit]

Roosevelt Registry

transactions with cucamongacoin, FHC, mtinis, bigjpst, Rob41281, toyz4geo, erwindoc, add your name here!!!

• Options
    davids5104davids5104 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

After we soon adopt the 100 pt rating system, they will begin doing steps on lincoln memorial

[Ebay Store - Come Visit]

Roosevelt Registry

transactions with cucamongacoin, FHC, mtinis, bigjpst, Rob41281, toyz4geo, erwindoc, add your name here!!!

• Options
    rmuniakrmuniak Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

looked at a few all smooth. Actually the info I got shows not a lot of them maybe in the hundreds total. Thanks for input

A world without coins "Chaos"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file