Home U.S. Coin Forum

MrHalfDime's Capped Bust Half Dimes

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

working with David Perkins, getting some of Steve's coins graded. Here are a few that have been done, with many more in the works

1833 LM-2. This is an R6 die marriage. Was NGC 55, now PCGS 55

1829 LM-3. Common die marriage, but a very late and quite uncommon die state with the cud. Was NGC 53, now PCGS 45. Ex-Jules Reiver, where Steve bought the coin in 2006.

Here is an interesting one. This 1832 LM-1 was in an ANACS white holder with a seven digit serial number as AU55. Now PCGS 58

One more for now, this also upgraded. 1834 LM-4 went from ANACS white holder six digit serial number graded MS61 to PCGS 62

I will get more photos posted over the course of the next few months as time and desire allows.

Comments

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome, I've been following this- thanks for update.

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, he has a nice collection! I will have to look at the offerings when they come up.

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would be nice to put a catalog together for posterity before all the coins are dispersed.
    I would've loved to see that happen with Steve Tanenbaum's Civil War Token collection after he passed tragically.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:
    Wow, he has a nice collection!

Oh my, this so doesn't begin to scratch the surface. Steve isn't 'Mrhalfdime' for nothing! His reference collection is phenomenal, not necessarily for its lofty grades but for its comprehensive coverage of varieties and die states.

Much respect.

• fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice eye candy Barndog. Thanks for sharing! Sweet toning. I guess they were a little harsh on that 1829.

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.....looking forward to more!

• UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, thanks for sharing!

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are very nice Capped Bust’s @Barndog.

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Would be nice to put a catalog together for posterity before all the coins are dispersed.
    I would've loved to see that happen with Steve Tanenbaum's Civil War Token collection after he passed tragically.

I agree with @DCW !!! When ever a major collection like this comes along,
    a catalog should be made. @TDN Seated and Trade would have been nice.
    There are so many nice collections that need this before they are broken up.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2019 6:48PM

@Tibor said:

@DCW said:

I agree with @DCW !!! When ever a major collection like this comes along,
    a catalog should be made. @TDN Seated and Trade would have been nice.
    There are so many nice collections that need this before they are broken up.

@MrHalfDime maintained a database of his collection, with attributions, grades and Notes.
    He sometimes quoted it when posting here.
    The database was saved, and forms part of such a catalog.
    The other part of a catalog is photos.
    For the Liberty Seated Half Dime portion of his collection, photos are being taken and are about 50% completed.
    The photos, attributions, grades and notes are being archived at the Newman Numismatic Portal:
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/imagecollection/514182

It may be the case that the Liberty Seated portion had more unpublished research,
    given that the Logan-McCloskey Federal Half Dimes book contains about 99% of the currently known die marriages
    for bust half dimes.
    @MrHalfDime was working on a similar book for Liberty Seated Half Dimes, and his notes include many unpublished discoveries.
    However, he was also very proud of his complete collection of Capped Bust die marriages.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are amazing coins, thanks for showing us. I look forward to seeing more... Cheers, RickO

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing pieces. Beautiful.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Baby Dimes! :)

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2019 8:04AM

Good work, Barndog. Love the 200 year old coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file