Home Sports Talk
Options

Re-tooled M's are playing .875 baseball

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

The prospect we traded was not one of their top ones. I usually look at the "top 30 prospects" list and he wasn't on it. Looks like a power hitting 1st baseman. Apparently he has GREAT potential as a slugger, but below average in all other areas.

We got an established reliever, Sergio Romo who is supposed to be real tough on right handed batters, and a minor league pitching prospect. Romo looks pretty good, supposed to have a great slider and can close games if need be. Free agent after this year. Would like to see us get a left handed reliever.

I don't know why Cleveland would even THINK about getting rid of Bauer, unless they think last year was a "fluke" or the offers are simply too good to pass up. Money could be a huge factor, looks like his contract is up and he will be looking for a raise.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been watching Trevor Bauer for several years and have been at games he's pitched, he's no fluke for sure. more of a throwback because he has a fantastic 12 to 6 curveball. sure, he can throw a nice slider, a good change-up and can crank up the heater to 97-98 mph, but he gets a lot of hitters and strikes with that curve. since he's talked about in trades the commentators have been looking at him and talking about "spin rate" and such things. all I know is he's young, talented and pitches a lot of innings.

the ONLY reason to trade him is economics. if they keep him like they should, they will probably make an offer or go to arbitration this off-season. if that doesn't work the at this time next year we'll be wondering who he signs with, not if.

the Indians have surprised me. they ditched their old line outfield last Winter and didn't seem to have anyone to fill in. two guys Brad Zimmer and Tyler Naquin showed promise but are battling injuries and Greg Allen is good in the field and fast as shit but hadn't hit much. enter two rookies, Freeman and Mercado. they have really helped and although he has no chance of winning it, Mercado will probably get ROTY votes.

I know I have said it before, maybe I sound like a broken record, but in a year like 2019 with Cleveland's pitching injuries and other stuff like noted above Terry Francona has saved the day. if he pulls off what's happening now and gets anywhere deep into the playoffs he should be given serious consideration for Manager of the Year. I would say the same thing for Rocco Baldelli. what he has done so far is incredible, he seems to be able to motivate the players and make the right moves as a rookie. that's not easy even as a veteran manager.

winning in big-market cities is easy, in Cleveland and Minneapolis not so much. our Teams usually get one shot. B)

• Options
    edited July 28, 2019 7:33PM

Twins DESTROY White Sox.

Bauer has some kind of melt down.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was watching the Royals- Indians and was wondering why Francona looked so angry when he pulled Bauer today.
    Then I read on yahoo that Bauer threw the ball over the centerfield fence when he was being pulled. LOL.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    I was watching the Royals- Indians and was wondering why Francona looked so angry when he pulled Bauer today.
    Then I read on yahoo that Bauer threw the ball over the centerfield fence when he was being pulled. LOL.

Bauer first called time and asked for a new ball from the umpire, and after catching that one, fired the old ball into the netting near the Royals dugout. Then, once Bauer turned around and saw Francona coming to pull him, he then wheeled towards center field and threw it an estimated 380 feet over the batter's eye. The Indians fielders that were near the mound flinched like a gun went off as Bauer was heaving it out there. The centerfielder had his back to the mound watching the scoreboard replay, when suddenly a ball goes flying out of the stadium. He turns around so quick, like what the heck just happened? Who hit that?! The whole thing has to be watched several times from all angles to be appreciated.

• Options

wow, nice way to exit a game after pitching like crap!!! :# he not only embarrassed himself but the entire Team. I see a hefty fine and maybe a seat instead of a start to make sure his heads in the right place. though not the same thing it is reminiscent of Carlos Carrasco about 4-5 years ago when his emotions got the best of him. he needed a year or so in the minors before he started to work his way back.

Bauer has always been wound tight but he's never done anything like that for me to recall.

so now we're back to two games as the Twins found the long ball and slaughtered the White Sox.

• Options

@countdouglas said:

@Darin said:

Bauer first called time and asked for a new ball from the umpire, and after catching that one, fired the old ball into the netting near the Royals dugout. Then, once Bauer turned around and saw Francona coming to pull him, he then wheeled towards center field and threw it an estimated 380 feet over the batter's eye. The Indians fielders that were near the mound flinched like a gun went off as Bauer was heaving it out there. The centerfielder had his back to the mound watching the scoreboard replay, when suddenly a ball goes flying out of the stadium. He turns around so quick, like what the heck just happened? Who hit that?! The whole thing has to be watched several times from all angles to be appreciated.

Darn, I missed it all. Just assumed it was going to be a routine pitching change, all I saw was how angry Francona looked.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

@countdouglas said:

@Darin said:

Darn, I missed it all. Just assumed it was going to be a routine pitching change, all I saw was how angry Francona looked.

I don't think much was made about it live during the broadcast while it was happening and in the moments immediately afterwards. I have the MLB At Bat Premium app, which is where I got my info, and several of the articles about the game have/had various camera angle replays embedded within the article. As they are prone to do, MLB edits and culls and replaces clips as the day progresses. I've gone back, and in the clips now, you barely see Bauer fire the first ball towards the netting near the Royals dugout. If you aren't looking for it, you almost won't see it. It probably wasn't that big of a deal, except you can see the frustration on Bauer's face, and perhaps the reason Francona was coming to get him. Then, as Bauer turns around and sees Francona coming, then he chucks the new ball into outer space! Francona, if you read his lips, asks, "What the F's wrong with you?!!!" Bauer immediately starts apologizing on the mound, telling Terry "my bad", but Terry's having none of it, pointing to the dugout and telling him to get in there. There are several post-game stories and quotes, all trying to dissect what this means for his relationship with the team, and how it possibly affects his trade value.

• Options

Bauer sure has a bad temper! I read/heard somewhere that a different pitcher got a 4 game suspension for doing something similar.

Cleveland has made a great comeback from 10 games back to 1 (now 2) games out. Maybe I am making too much of this, but it might be a glimpse of the Indians starting to crumble. He is one of their leaders and his outburst looked juvenile.

Additionally it could cost Bauer some money in both fines and maybe even salary on his next contract, with Cleveland or his next team.

Still a LOT of the season left to play. I wonder what it is going to look at in 10 days when Cleveland comes to Minnesota.

Go Twins!

• Options

Bauer sure has a bad temper!

Joe, I wouldn't make too much out of it past the fact that Bauer "exploded" while he was still on the mound in the game. this sort of thing happens as a matter of routine in MLB, and all of Sports, actually. as an example, how many times have you seen a pitcher yanked under similar circumstances and two things happen --- as he is stepping into the dugout he throws his mitt as the other players move away, then he walks down the tunnel to the clubhouse. what do you think those guys are doing, going to wash their hands??!!?? :D

I have seen batters break their bats over their knee while still in the batters box after a bad at-bat. I have seen countless hissy-fits and players coming out of the dugout. yesterday was only something we had never seen before, maybe it's the new trend, what pitchers will do when they're yanked!! :)

what Bauer did is inexcusable and my hunch is that he's embarrassed and ashamed. he probably got his ass reamed by Francona and some of the Team leaders. he ate some humble pie and apologized in front of the cameras and if I understand Francona, apologized to his Team. a fine should be forthcoming and I doubt Bauer will argue about it.

it might be a glimpse of the Indians starting to crumble

this is absurd wishful thinking. we have been having a nice back-and-forth this past month, this post sounds like the words of a guy who's own Team has felt the pressure. also, if the Indians do slip into an August slump it won't be because of this, it will most certainly be because of a relentless schedule against some very good opponents.

I wonder what it is going to look at in 10 days when Cleveland comes to Minnesota.

those four games loom large in the outcome of the season for both Teams. what will be interesting is how the the fans react if Bauer is on the mound. I'm sure he'll hear it. right now he's scheduled to pitch on Saturday which means he should be on the hill for the first game against the Twins. B)

• Options

just noticed the Indians made a trade with the Rays, they acquired right-hander Hunter Wood and infielder Christian Arroyo in exchange for outfielder Ruben Cardenas and $250,000 in international slot money.

Wood looks like Mike Clevinger's brother!! :p

• Options

@keets said:
    Bauer sure has a bad temper!

Joe, I wouldn't make too much out of it past the fact that Bauer "exploded" while he was still on the mound in the game. this sort of thing happens as a matter of routine in MLB, and all of Sports, actually. as an example, how many times have you seen a pitcher yanked under similar circumstances and two things happen --- as he is stepping into the dugout he throws his mitt as the other players move away, then he walks down the tunnel to the clubhouse. what do you think those guys are doing, going to wash their hands??!!?? :D

I have seen batters break their bats over their knee while still in the batters box after a bad at-bat. I have seen countless hissy-fits and players coming out of the dugout. yesterday was only something we had never seen before, maybe it's the new trend, what pitchers will do when they're yanked!! :)

what Bauer did is inexcusable and my hunch is that he's embarrassed and ashamed. he probably got his ass reamed by Francona and some of the Team leaders. he ate some humble pie and apologized in front of the cameras and if I understand Francona, apologized to his Team. a fine should be forthcoming and I doubt Bauer will argue about it.

I wouldn't go so far as to say what he did was routine. He threw two balls out of play. It was mentioned somewhere that this could lead to a suspension. Yes, plenty of players had big/bad tempers. Ted Williams was famous for them.

it might be a glimpse of the Indians starting to crumble

this is absurd wishful thinking. we have been having a nice back-and-forth this past month, this post sounds like the words of a guy who's own Team has felt the pressure. also, if the Indians do slip into an August slump it won't be because of this, it will most certainly be because of a relentless schedule against some very good opponents.

Wishful thinking all the way baby! With my guys blowing an 11(?) game lead, I would "grasp at any straw" I could find!!!

I wonder what it is going to look at in 10 days when Cleveland comes to Minnesota.

those four games loom large in the outcome of the season for both Teams. what will be interesting is how the the fans react if Bauer is on the mound. I'm sure he'll hear it. right now he's scheduled to pitch on Saturday which means he should be on the hill for the first game against the Twins. B)

It will be interesting to see how he reacts if the fans get on him. He seems like the kind of player who is more angry at himself for things than the fans riding him, but we should see.

@keets said:
    just noticed the Indians made a trade with the Rays, they acquired right-hander Hunter Wood and infielder Christian Arroyo in exchange for outfielder Ruben Cardenas and $250,000 in international slot money.

Wood looks like Mike Clevinger's brother!! :p

Wood looks like he throws some heat, but both players are quite young. Not sure if this is help for this year, or more down the road.

• Options

I wouldn't go so far as to say what he did was routine.

you looked past my point. that is --- players express themselves and their emotions flow out every night somewhere in MLB. the thing is that we are used to it. what makes the Bauer incident so dramatic is that no one has seen a player do it before. sure, maybe it happened almost 30 years ago, but who alive today even knew that before yesterday?? I didn't and I bet neither did you.

Bauer lost his composure for a moment and he needs to look at that real hard and get it under control. perhaps Corey Kluber can help him. when Kluber walks off the mound it's impossible to tell if he just threw a perfect game or gave up two grand slams, the guy shows nothing, totally in control. hence, the nickname --- Klubot. B)

• Options

@keets said:
    I wouldn't go so far as to say what he did was routine.

you looked past my point. that is --- players express themselves and their emotions flow out every night somewhere in MLB. the thing is that we are used to it. what makes the Bauer incident so dramatic is that no one has seen a player do it before. sure, maybe it happened almost 30 years ago, but who alive today even knew that before yesterday?? I didn't and I bet neither did you.

Bauer lost his composure for a moment and he needs to look at that real hard and get it under control. perhaps Corey Kluber can help him. when Kluber walks off the mound it's impossible to tell if he just threw a perfect game or gave up two grand slams, the guy shows nothing, totally in control. hence, the nickname --- Klubot. B)

I always liked the "boring" guys like Killebrew. You never knew if they hit a home run or struck out.

A celebration is fine if someone does the spectacular in an important game.

Many people enjoy the "in your face" antics of the modern player, I realize times have changed, but I don't really care for it.

Bauer is a very very good pitcher and will get even better if he learns how to control his emotions a little better.

• Options

I'm with you on all of that, I blame Billy "White Shoes" Johnson and the old AFL for the degeneration of gentlemanly Sports. :p

• Options

I think Reggie invented the home run stare in MLB.

Couldn't stand that guy!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

M’s are on fire!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

Cleveland and Houston engaged in what was expected to be a low scoring pitchers duel with the Astros coming out on top, 2-0. it's pretty tough to score when you strike out 15 times against a Team like the Astros that can score easily. in that regard it was a victory of sorts, holding Houston to two runs. on the bright isde of things the Indians made a trade that should add some runs to the bottom line.

• Options

VERY interesting trade. Looks like the Indians wanted to add some home runs to their team and they have.

If Kluber can come back and pitch well, they shouldn't miss Bauer. Could Carlos Carrasco recover enough to pitch this year? I am hoping he can win his battle with leukemia!

It's going to come down to them beating good teams for the next month. If they can pass Minnesota with a much tougher schedule, my hat will be off to them!

Hoping the Twins make at least one more move today.

GO TWINS!

• Options

Last second deal gets the Twins a NICE right handed reliever.

Still don't know what they gave up, but that looks like a GREAT move!

• Options

Twins are coasting against the Marlins and Cleveland is up 7-4 in the bottom of the 6th with the Astros, a bit of a mini-slugfest as the Tribe has jacked three, funny you mention they added power!!! :p one three-dinger by Santana and two dingers by unlikely "slugger" Roberto Perez.

not over by a longs hot, the Astros can score fast and often, still have to get nine outs.

• Options

Berrios was masterful tonight!

Cleveland got a LOT of guys for Bauer.

Houston gets Grienke. WOW!

• Options

Joe, your continual worry about the Twins BP played out again yesterday with the Marlins scoring four times in the 9th inning. with Cleveland it isn't the pitching, it's the hitting. they seem to have a game every week where they phone it in, 2-0 against Houston and a few days before 1-0 against the Royals.

• Options

@keets said:
    Joe, your continual worry about the Twins BP played out again yesterday with the Marlins scoring four times in the 9th inning. with Cleveland it isn't the pitching, it's the hitting. they seem to have a game every week where they phone it in, 2-0 against Houston and a few days before 1-0 against the Royals.

I like the guys they picked up, I am pleasantly surprised at the Twins making a couple of deals.

The guy who gave up the grand slam is someone I have never heard of. The team is pitching a lot of minor leaguers in games lately. I am assuming they are looking at options if/when they get to the post season.

Berrios was outstanding! https://www.mlb.com/video/berrios-k-s-11-in-2-hit-start?t=best-performer

Feeling pretty good about the Twins right now.

• Options

the time to watch now will be August 21-22. anyone going on the 10 day list will be ineligible for the playoffs. this can be the hardest time of the year to be healthy. if a key player gets hurt in that time-frame the only option is to carry him into September, playing with a 24-man roster.

• Options

@keets said:
    the time to watch now will be August 21-22. anyone going on the 10 day list will be ineligible for the playoffs. this can be the hardest time of the year to be healthy. if a key player gets hurt in that time-frame the only option is to carry him into September, playing with a 24-man roster.

Let's hope everybody stays healthy!

Hard to rest anyone in a pennant race. Good problem to have!

Thinking WAY ahead. Wondering if Cruz is going to put in some time in the field before the end of the season, just in case we end up in the WS.

• Options

I'm sure he takes practice in the field but it speeds up a bit in a game!!! o:)

it looks like the Twins are about to win another against Miami. hopefully Cleveland shows up tonight with a little energy bounce from the new bats in the line-up. taking two of three from Houston would be nice.

• Options

New reliever Dyson comes in and loads up the bases, getting no outs, while giving up 2 hits and 2 walks. Twins lose in extra innings.

Maybe we didn't need relievers after all! LOL

Tough loss!

• Options

your kidding me, the Twins lost!!??? :# I had that as a "W" the last time I looked, what the hell happened?? now that I look, Miami rallied in the 9th. WOW!!

Cleveland is holding their own against the Astros, down 2-1 heading to the bottom of the 6th. Danny Salazar started in his first game in 2019 after missing all of 2018 and pitched 4 innings, gave up two HR's and little else. Gerrit Cole hasn't really held the Indians in check, two runners were gunned down at the plate. how often does that happen in one game??

• Options

The new guy sucks, get rid of him! ;-)

• Options

this is turning out to be a funny thread, Joe, almost an online PM session between the both of us. what started out as a Mariner's discussion has turned into a Twins/Indians pennant race debate!!! the strange twist is that last night those same Mariners were no-hit by the Astros. speaking of the Astros, it struck me this morning how the leaders in the AL are really playing well. the Twins have righted things after a mid-season slump, the Yankees have gotten it together after taking a 10 day break and all the while Cleveland and Houston have continued to play well. I don't follow the NL very much but what's happening now doesn't portend well for the October WS.

but, that's a long way away and a lot can change. I'm looking forward to next weekend in Minnesota and then Cleveland returns for three games against Boston. I'll be at the game Monday the 12th, looks like Mike Clevinger will be on the hill.

• Options

Yes. Isn't it nice when two classy guys can discuss their teams without so much of the message board childishness?

Nelson Cruz is carrying the Twins right now, yes they are getting some well pitched games, but this guy is off the charts.

Houston looks like the team to beat. Starting pitching and hitting looks fantastic. Does that team have any weaknesses?

Twins/Indians is shaping up to be a great battle for the division. It will be interesting what the guys they got at the deadline do to make a difference. Dyson has not pitched well but Romo has yet to give up a run.

Enjoy the game!

• Options

Banzai- Congrats on the Twins win today over the Royals in advance.

People in K.C. were joking that the Royals might not get more wins than Mahomes had TD passes last year, (50)
    but with the Royals ability to lose games in mass quantities it may not be a joke anymore.

• Options

Minnesota has sort of stormed their way through the schedule by hitting/scoring at an unbelievable pace. I had expected them to slow down by now but they haven't. they have two starters who will usually stop any slump so no longer-than-two-game-streaks have been happening. their BP is shaky at times but they tend to overcome that by scoring so much.

look at how the Royals have scored against the Twins to see what they can be in the future. they have some young position players, just no pitching.

• Options

@Darin said:
    Banzai- Congrats on the Twins win today over the Royals in advance.

People in K.C. were joking that the Royals might not get more wins than Mahomes had TD passes last year, (50)
    but with the Royals ability to lose games in mass quantities it may not be a joke anymore.

Thanks. Was a good game. Wasn't expecting a shut out with the guy we had on the mound.

@keets said:
    Minnesota has sort of stormed their way through the schedule by hitting/scoring at an unbelievable pace. I had expected them to slow down by now but they haven't. they have two starters who will usually stop any slump so no longer-than-two-game-streaks have been happening. their BP is shaky at times but they tend to overcome that by scoring so much.

look at how the Royals have scored against the Twins to see what they can be in the future. they have some young position players, just no pitching.

Bats have come back to life. Cruz has been unbelievable. New BP guy is on 10 day DL.

Hope we can take 2 out of three against the Braves, then a showdown with the Indians. Cleveland is hanging tough!!!

• Options

Joe Banzai- A question about Molitor as manager?
    Do you think if he was still manager the Twins would be this good?
    How was he thought of as a manager by Twins fans like yourself? I know he had to be popular
    because of the great player and nice guy he is but it looks like the Twins are doing much better
    with the new manager.

• Options

@Darin said:
    Joe Banzai- A question about Molitor as manager?
    Do you think if he was still manager the Twins would be this good?
    How was he thought of as a manager by Twins fans like yourself? I know he had to be popular
    because of the great player and nice guy he is but it looks like the Twins are doing much better
    with the new manager.

That's a GREAT question!

I do think the Twins would be as good as they are now with Molitor at the helm, maybe even BETTER!
    He seemed fine as a manager. He won manager of the year. Seemed to do things a lot like the new guy does.

A lot of the players that were here are developing and getting better. Gibson and Berrios immediately come to mind. Rosario has been solid for a few years, Kepler has been improving steadily and the oft injured Byron Buxton would be a Superstar if he could avoid injury.

Just about the entire infield is new and better than what Paul had to work with , except for Polanco at SS and Sano at 3rd. Both of those guys have had some issues, Polanco with PED use and Sano is hurt a lot. Starting pitcher Odorizzi was also a recent pick up and made the All-Star team.
    Can you say Nelson Cruz MVP?!?!? Of the Twins that is.

There WAS quite a bit of grumbling when a guy with no managerial experience came in. It was rumored that the new management team had to have "their guy". No one is complaining too much (at all, really) with the Twins doing so well.

I would have liked to see a little loyalty shown to Mr. Molitor, but it's a new world out there boys and girls!

Paul is probably doing just fine.

Thank you Paul Molitor for doing a fine job, sorry you weren't given a chance to see what you could do with this team.

• Options
    edited August 5, 2019 9:55AM

I'm not speaking as a competitor, just an observation from having watched BB for a long time.

I see a group of average to above average players all coming together at the same time and having if not a career year than one of the best seasons of their career to date. several players from last year are gone and "fringe" players are in the line-up everyday now to contribute. this isn't unusual for any Team with a few players, what is unusual with Minnesota is that it seems everyone in the starting line-up is playing past themselves.

with the pitchers it is even more extreme, the starters have essentially reversed what they did last year and improved on it. take Odorizzi as an example: he went from 7-10 with a 4.49 era to his current 12-5 with a 3.73 era. even if he climbed in the crapper for the rest of the season he'd still be better than last season, the turnaround is that dramatic.

if someone could figure out why this is happening and put it in a bottle he'd be a ga-zillion-air overnight!! the Twins are a nice mixture of guys starting their career, guys in the middle of their career and even guys nearing the end of their career. they seem to have come together under a Rookie Manager who must be doing something right to coax the best everyone has out at the same time. this is the kind of Team that surprises everyone in October like Willie Mays and the Giants ambushed Cleveland's dominant pitching staff in 1954.

if this ride continues the Astros may be surprised. right now everyone is already talking about how the Astros will waltz to the World Series. maybe, just maybe, the Minnesota Twins may have something to say about the music we'll be listening to, and it won't be a Waltz!!! B)

• Options

@keets said:
    I'm not speaking as a competitor, just an observation from having watched BB for a long time.

I see a group of average to above average players all coming together at the same time and having if not a career year than one of the best seasons of their career to date. several players from last year are gone and "fringe" players are in the line-up everyday now to contribute. this isn't unusual for any Team with a few players, what is unusual with Minnesota is that it seems everyone in the starting line-up is playing past themselves.

The outfield; Rosario is having a regular year, he is a very nice player, Buxton (has been touted as the next Willie Mays for the last 5 years) has finally started to show why he was the #2 overall pick, has always been a top notch defender, now he's hitting well, but not great. I'll take him for his defense over anyone playing today. He gets hurt a LOT, is hurt right now. Kepler has shown a BIG improvement hitting wise, slugging over .550. He's having a career year!

The infield; Sano at third is a stud, but like Buxton is hurt all the time. His ops is about where it was 2 years ago when he managed to appear in 114 games, he has missed 30-35 games this year. Shortstop Jorge Polanco missed 80 games last year for failing a drug test. He has played very well. New player at second base Schoop is solid. New player at 1st base Cron better power by far than Joe Mauer, who retired. Catcher Garver. first full year last year and has really improved his hitting for power. The biggest improvement has been picking up Nelson Cruz, his 166 OPS+ is about 60 points higher than last years DH.

with the pitchers it is even more extreme, the starters have essentially reversed what they did last year and improved on it. take Odorizzi as an example: he went from 7-10 with a 4.49 era to his current 12-5 with a 3.73 era. even if he climbed in the crapper for the rest of the season he'd still be better than last season, the turnaround is that dramatic.

Odorizzi and to a lesser extent Berrios both had down years last year, but have shown in the past that they are quality pitchers. Odo had two years (2015 & 2016) with a lower ERA than he has this year. Berrios is another "phenom" we have been hearing about here for several years, he has shown flashes of being a dominant pitcher and is looking like he has become "THE MAN". Gibson is Gibson, about the same as last year, decent #3 guy in the rotation. Taylor Rogers has went from a set-up man to a very good closer, replacing Fernndo Rodney who is 42 years old and still pitching.

if someone could figure out why this is happening and put it in a bottle he'd be a ga-zillion-air overnight!! the Twins are a nice mixture of guys starting their career, guys in the middle of their career and even guys nearing the end of their career. they seem to have come together under a Rookie Manager who must be doing something right to coax the best everyone has out at the same time. this is the kind of Team that surprises everyone in October like Willie Mays and the Giants ambushed Cleveland's dominant pitching staff in 1954.

if this ride continues the Astros may be surprised. right now everyone is already talking about how the Astros will waltz to the World Series. maybe, just maybe, the Minnesota Twins may have something to say about the music we'll be listening to, and it won't be a Waltz!!! B)

You are correct, young guys are progressing, all the regulars are having good years, and all the guys we picked up have played well. No suspensions and no major injuries really helps too.

From 2011 to 2016 (with the exception of 2015) the team lost about 100 games and were in last place every year but one when they were next to last. It's about time things turn around!

This year kind of reminds me of a couple of teams about 30 years ago that "put it together" and "won it all"!

It does look like the competition is a LOT better this year.

GO TWINS!

• Options

.....................and the Indians lose their weekly phone-in game 1-0 stranding a runner on 3rd with two outs. in the meantime, the Twins walk-off with a two-run shot. Cleveland players need to step up and understand they are in a race to see which Team has a one-game playoff for an opportunity to play a 7-game series against the Astros. we played that series last year against a lesser Team with our pitching staff healthy and it was embarrassing.

losses like last night absolutely fall on the shoulders of the hitters as have three games in the past two weeks. a banged up pitching staff is holding opponents to 1-2 runs.

• Options

Tough loss for the Indians, big win for the Twins.

Big series coming up!

• Options

Berrios pitches poorly. I have come to expect a well pitched game from him every time out.

Not tonight.

• Options

Minnesota's Nelson Cruz hit his 31st and 32nd home runs of the season, homering in the sixth and seventh innings. He has six multi-homer games this year, tying Harmon Killebrew in Twins' history for the most in a season.
    "The ball's traveling a little bit more than normal, and you wait for mistakes," Cruz said.
    The Twins swatted four total homers Tuesday and have 223 home runs this season, the second-highest total in team history. Minnesota needs two more to tie the team record of 225, set in 1963

that little passage and the quote by Cruz speaks volumes about what's going on this year in MLB. look at what the Yankees did, 5 HR's and 6 HR's in back-to-back games. not to take anything away from any hitter or Team, but the changes in the ball this season have really distorted the game.

Cleveland was rained out yesterday and I accept blame for that, I watered the front flower beds yesterday around 11:30AM, had a brief chat with my mailman as he was making his rounds. he agreed, said he had sealed things because he forgot his rain gear at home. I wonder if he finished his delivery before the deluge?? :#

one more game and then the grudge match starts, should be fun!! :)

• Options

Can't wait!

Please hold off on watering until after the games! ;-)

• Options

Joe, I'm in NorthEast Ohio, I doubt even I could influence the weather in Minneapolis. were that possible I would run for High Public Office. o:)

• Options

Well....................OK. ;-)

• Options

if we aren't careful and are both logged on and following the games I think we could do an entire page of replies.

the Indians had an unexpected off day last night. unfortunately(given the schedule Cleveland faces with only two days off in August) they have scheduled a DoubleHeader for today. not cool at all.

they had just called up Aaron Civale to pitch the opener against the Rangers on Monday, now in the second game of this impromptu twin-bill they have decided to do a BullPen game, so things are shaken up a bit. with the extra game, juggled rotation and overworked BullPen from today I think it's safe to say the advantage going into the series is with the Twins.

• Options

@keets said:
    if we aren't careful and are both logged on and following the games I think we could do an entire page of replies.

Sounds FUN!

Glad the games are at home.

Baldelli is getting a lot of credit for how well they are playing. I hope he keeps up the good work!

GO TWINS!

• Options

Baldelli is getting a lot of credit for how well they are playing

as well he should but he is leaving himself open to criticism with these last two games by sticking with the starters for too long. today he let Perez get tagged for seven and yesterday he let Berrios get tagged for nine. that's either a lack of confidence in the BP or too much confidence in the starters.

Cleveland just shutout the Rangers 2-0 behind rookie Zach Plesac on six innings/five hits/seven k's/two walks, but the offense is still sluggish, only three hits/two walks but they made the most of them. that won't cut it this weekend. meanwhile, the Twins lead should be cut to 2 1/2 when the Indians start the second game.

on last night --- when I went to bed the Braves were up 11-6 after Cruz hit that second HR. I fully expected they'd rally for the win but fell short. the sign of a good Team, Minnesota has it and the Astros have it, is to win games late. with those two no lead is ever really safe.

• Options

I have noticed he is trying to get an extra inning or two out of the starters, and now Dyson is out for a few days.

Could be he's trying to get the starters used to going 6-7 instead of 5-6 innings leaving the end of the game to Romo, Dyson (if he can get it together) and Rodgers.

This is going to be a big series if either team can sweep!

Looks to me like a 2-2 split. We're basically giving you game 2 by starting Smeltzer. My dad would say he pitches like a "Washerwoman", I don't think he can hit 90MPH. Throws a LOT of "junk" can be effective against impatient hitters.

I'll predict you win games 1 & 2 and Twins come back with their aces to even it up. Anything more is gravy for us.

Berrios can't have two bad starts in a row, can he?

Excited and nervous!

This is what it's all about baby!