Home U.S. Coin Forum

April Fools. Any coin pranks planned? Any past related pranks you don't mind exposing?

abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 31, 2019 9:20PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Does anyone plan any coin related pranks with either work partners or other fellow collectors?
Have you been pranked?

Comments

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm gonna go print off a bunch of $100's and go on a shopping spree and give some to strangers in passing.

If I am questioned I will explain how it is all just a April Fool's joke. :D

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Save a few of the real ones for bail.

;)

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

In play...
    :p

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2019 12:11AM

...I was gonna list 5 separate white rattlers on eBay for $50 each BIN (not like I own any)...but adding small print at the very bottom of each description, followed by 5 eBay messages to the buyer/buyers letting them know they got fooled seemed like a little too much trouble...if I still drank booze, I probably would have pulled the trigger...but marijuana has me thinking way too much about what can go wrong...time to roll another one fellas...happy April fools CU board ;)

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    I'm gonna go print off a bunch of $100's and go on a shopping spree and give some to strangers in passing.

If I am questioned I will explain how it is all just a April Fool's joke. :D

Let us know how that worked out for you assuming you have internet access in prison. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back when I was working for Heritage I pulled a pretty good one on one of their very senior numismatists. At the time I was doing a lot of Canadian and I wrote a very straight-faced, serious note about discovering a DDO Canadian sovereign with the portrait of George V showing "clear hints of the right-facing portrait of Edward VII underneath. Not only is this the first known doubled die obverse gold coin of the Canadian series, it is also the first overmonarch in the entire British era." He fell for it, hook, line, and sinker. I will never forget his response a bit later that day. "I was sitting on the throne and realized what day it was and thought, 'Oh, s#$t.' "

I've never tried to top that one ... :o

Happy AFD everybody!

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never been 'coin pranked'... Nor have I ever tried one.....I know my wife will try a prank today, she does every year...Sometimes she gets me... ;) I must be super aware today, she is clever. Cheers, RickO

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2019 7:39AM

@ricko said:
    I have never been 'coin pranked'... Nor have I ever tried one.....I know my wife will try a prank today, she does every year...Sometimes she gets me... ;) I must be super aware today, she is clever. Cheers, RickO

I am in the same boat, expecting something- but so is my wife. Perhaps today I shall be the more clever one. :D

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@giorgio11 said:
    Back when I was working for Heritage I pulled a pretty good one on one of their very senior numismatists. At the time I was doing a lot of Canadian and I wrote a very straight-faced, serious note about discovering a DDO Canadian sovereign with the portrait of George V showing "clear hints of the right-facing portrait of Edward VII underneath. Not only is this the first known doubled die obverse gold coin of the Canadian series, it is also the first overmonarch in the entire British era." He fell for it, hook, line, and sinker. I will never forget his response a bit later that day. "I was sitting on the throne and realized what day it was and thought, 'Oh, s#$t.' "

I've never tried to top that one ... :o

Happy AFD everybody!

Kind regards,

George

This is a very aggressive AFD joke. Well-done!

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2019 7:54AM

@MrEureka said:
    I was thinking about posting an 1894-S dime for sale but thought better if it.

That would be a great AFD prank but in light of robbery probably not a good idea.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file