Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are TPGs more lenient with lowballs?

thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Specifically, more likely to overlook issues which would prevent them from straight grading?

Can you show some examples either way?

Comments

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found coins graded in the FA02 to GD04 range may have a slight problem or two yet the true PO01 coins are truly worn without real issue.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO, they still don't like rim damage, graffiti, etc

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. I have not been cut any slack

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow

“Are TPGs more lenient with lowballs?”

Not a lowball collector, but do not think TPGS are lenient in lowball grades.

Reason: There is a premium to pay for lowball/PO coins. If the grading were lenient then there would be a glut of these lowball coins and therefore no/low premium for them. IMO.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

They won't overlook damage... environmental, scratches, rim hits, etc... but if the coin was cleaned when it was AU, I think the evidence of it would be pretty difficult to detect if the coin were put back into circulation until it was G4...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

Thank you all for these great answers. If I ever consider sending one in, I will post it here first to get opinions.

• Options

Are you looking for PO01s or trying to find out how hard getting a RAW coin to grade a PO01 is?

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

They were like that a while back, not sure now. Of course major issues don't get a straight grade.

• Options

@coinman1889 said:
    Are you looking for PO01s or trying to find out how hard getting a RAW coin to grade a PO01 is?

I am trying to find out how hard it is to get a raw coin to grade PO01

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're more likely to get a Fair2, good luck getting the P1, maybe they should have a bankrupt .5 or 0, or a "reconsideration" for just made it Fair2s looking to get a downgrade to P1 with increased value.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they're really stingy with the coveted PO01 grades. I sent a Liberty nickel to our hosts with the reverse completely worn off and almost no obverse detail save for a readable date and it came back FA02.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Though I completely respect the collecting interests of others, the search for the coveted PO1 is an area I do not relate to at all. That being said, many of my fellow forumites do not understand my attraction to blast white coins... :D ... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file