Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Be nice. Play nice.

abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

This post isn’t totally coin related it is about the apparent inability to communicate with one another in an adult and respectful manner. Before some of you roll your eyes and start saying “snowflake” and “If you can’t stand the heat...” it’s not about my sensitivity here. I am a fun loving, all American, coin collecting male. As a husband, a dad, a tax paying American, and someone who’s been around for a while I’ve been called all sorts of names and insults and received plenty of ridicule. I have broad shoulders and thick skin and can take it. I’m positive I’m not the only one here like that but just because we can take it does it really mean we should?

Whatever happened to “If you can’t say something nice then don’t say anything at all” and more importantly “treat people the way you would like to be treated”? I’m not saying we can’t disagree. I am saying we don’t have to be jerks about it. It’s a discussion not a D measuring contest to see who the biggest alpha male is or who is the ultimate numismatic expert. If we have differences and it’s apparent one side isn’t going to sway the other then recognize that and agree to disagree. We should be able to do that without being insulting to one another. Save that for the modern coin collecting guys. KIDDING!

Storytime! I took a break from emergency services to sort some issues out and tried my hand at driving a truck over the road.
One day I was standing in line at a truck stop and there was a young man further up in line being loud and rude with the staff. Another driver made a comment about the young driver being a jerk. The young man responded almost as if he was proud to be a malcontent and proclaimed such. At that point, an old driver stepped out and looked at the young man and said “Son, being a rude person doesn’t make you a man and it definitely doesn’t make you cool. It just makes you a jerk and at the end of the day nobody likes a negative person”. Now at face value, this information sounds like common sense truth but you could tell that for some reason it spoke volumes to the young man right then and there because his demeanor immediately changed. Admittedly it was kind of a wake-up call to me as well.

All of that said, we deal with enough BS in our day to day lives. Does it really have to spill over here in a group of what is supposed to be like-minded individuals who like coins? As adults, we really should be able to communicate with one another without the name-calling, insults, and catty little passive aggressive comments. These thoughts aggressively apply to me as well, of course. For the record, this post isn’t related to anyone’s response to a post of a comment of mine. I have just grown tired of seeing how others in this group are being treated. That is all. I’ll step down from my soapbox now.

Comments

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2019 12:40PM

Not sure if I missed something but this is my way of thinking...

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

K

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ditto

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Life is too short. Make the positive best of it and hope you made the best of it for others, too.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mutual respect goes a very long way. I spent 20 years working in a correctional facility and some of the most violent men you could ever meet I had a very good rapport with, treat people with respect and make sure you get it in return, anything less than that is unacceptable.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I must've missed something.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    EdtheloraxEdthelorax Posts: 229 ✭✭✭

One of the guys working security at the ANA didn't like me, I assume it is the way I look. First he blatantly followed me around for the first 10-15 minutes, which I felt he wouldn't have if I looked like the other attendees. He was not only rude but basically calling me a liar because I didn't go to Baltimore. Every time he saw me, he kept asking if he knew me from there even after repeating several times that I wasn't there. I am used to people being prejudice but I have thick skin too so I treated him with the respect that I was not offered.

Fortunately, none of the dealers I interacted with were like that. Several guys that actually did recognize me stopped me to say hi. That helped me remember just how kind most all of the collectors and dealers are.

After the show closed Saturday, I drove my wife to Morgantown WV for a Gram Nash concert. We got there 5 min. after the box office closed. After a disappointing talk with the concession stand girls about how there was no way to get in, I ran into a guy that looked like he was in a position of authority. I spoke to him like I do everyone, like a human being, asking if there was any way to still get tickets. He told me to "Hold on" while he disappeared to the offices. He came back a few minutes later and handed me 2 tickets and said "Enjoy the show." When we saw him and thanked him after, both bubbling with excitement, we could tell he was happy to have made our night.

Back at our hotel the wife said "I bet that guy from the ANA isn't having this much fun tonight" (PG paraphrased ;)
    Point being, don't let a few unhappy, stuck-up or prejudice jerks change your outlook on humanity, there are still some really good people left in the world.

What comes around, goes around. Karma is real.

http://www.silverstocker.com
    Anyone can PM me Any Time about Any thing.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    I must've missed something.

Me too, but thanks for the message. It is spot on.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with everything being said here.

Now if some Jerk know it all rude dumb idiot comes in here and disagrees.........I'll KILL them! ;)

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2019 4:52PM

Is this a long-winded way of telling us that from now on you're going to be a nice guy? If so, I'm against it! I like you just the way you are and always have been. I love continuity!

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is nice to be nice..... One does not need to be acidic or insulting. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file