Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Review of the Intercept Shield 20-Coin Slab Holder Box by Lighthouse -pics-

LuxorLuxor Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 31, 2019 7:42AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was a big fan of the original Intercept Shield boxes and used them for many years, and only recently purchased a couple of the new style ones offered on Ebay by Lighthouse to see if I'd like them. I bought the ones that hold 20 certified coin slabs and am sorry I purchased them as they are nowhere near as nice as the originals IMO.

1) The way the bottom of the box slants upwards at the ends makes it impossible to remove the end two coins on either side since you cannot reach them to grab and must first remove a coin or two next to them to be able to grab them.

2) The way the black plastic sides with the dividers is attached to the actual box looks like it was poorly glued and looks cheaply made.

3) The box will not hold the older style NGC thicker slabs and the older style PCGS slabs rattle up and back a lot in the slots.

4) The slabs sit too close to each other in the box, and when you pull out a PCGS holder many times the tabs catch the holder next to it and pull it up too.

5) The sides of the box come up too high making it hard to grab a slab and pull it out if you have larger hands or stubby fingers.

6) IMO just looks like a cheaper, poorer quality product overall when placed next to one of the original Intercept boxes. I do not recommend these new style Intercept boxes at all and will not buy them again.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have all my coins stored in them and as for me the only point I agree with is #1. I do not have an issue with the slabs grabbing each other when removed. I think they are made well for the purpose they serve. I didn't buy them for the looks or to have on display, I bought them for one reason only: to protect my coins. that's all I care about.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep my slabs in the double protection box by intercept shield. I agree that the quality is lower, but hopefully it still serves its intend purpose...protection. Probably still the best product out there.
    I tried something similar when the intercept shield stuff went away. I forget what it was called, but you had to put the slabs in ziplock bags and then put them in boxes. Maybe good for long term storage, but a pain in the neck to visit your coins day to day.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

I have a few of the old style boxes and am happy with them but I had several Wheat cents in PCGS Holders and NGC holders in their original blue and grey storage boxes that over time lost their Brilliant luster. I try to keep humidity at around 50 to 60%, and I have several Ozone air purifiers in the rooms where I store my coins so I am always looking for a better media to retain the luster on my coins. I think that may be why there seems to be a constant evolution in the slab types we've seen over the years. Not minimizing security mind you.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

I've got a few of them and a couple of the double protection style as well. It doesn't work bad if you put the little guys on the ends. :)

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Luxor said:
    4) The slabs sit too close to each other in the box, and when you pull out a PCGS holder many times the tabs catch the holder next to it and pull it up too.

I asked about whether PCGS should redesign their slabs to eliminate the tabs or feet. Most people thought they were fine but I still think it would be better to redesign the slabs without them.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1014986/should-pcgs-replace-the-feet-on-their-slabs#latest

• Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

I noticed some awkward differences with the new boxes as well, like the OP. The plastic "tracks" on either side of the box didn't seem to line up quite perfectly, but I came away with a different attitude than the OP: will still buy again.

I hope IS sees this kind of feedback and adapts on the next production runs.

While I'm at it: IS, please update your Kennedy album offerings. 2012 was a long time ago... and where do I put the Satin issues of the last decade? BTW, isn't it about time they fixed the wrong-size hole for one of the large cents in their Type album?

Anyway, still an IS fan.

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not own any of the 20 coin holders but I do have a few of the 50 coin holders and I have no complaints. Why have a box of 20 when I can go with a box of 50 instead!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are probably designed to hold the greatest number of coins possible so more can be stored in a safe deposit box.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 2 cents FWIW,
    1) I agree, the sloped box is a horrible design feature. Either you unload a few slabs so you can get to the first two, or you put a band around the first one as an assist. (I do this but it is a PITA).
    2) The sides on the boxes I have are OK.
    3) The box will not hold the older style NGC thicker slabs - neither did the original.
    4) The slabs sit too close to each other in the box, and when you pull out a PCGS holder many times the tabs catch the holder next to it and pull it up too - I don't seem to have this problem. May be box dependent if they don't align the sides. Made in China ought to tell us a lot.
    5) The sides of the box come up too high making it hard to grab a slab and pull it out if you have larger hands or stubby fingers. Agree, but not a big deal for me.
    6) IMO just looks like a cheaper, poorer quality product overall when placed next to one of the original Intercept boxes. I do not recommend these new style Intercept boxes at all and will not buy them again. I prefer the old design but continue to use the new design.

Good review....

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only have the old style Intercept Shield boxes.... I store a bunch of slabbed ASE's in them... They seem to work well, since they have been stored in them for fourteen years. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the review.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Luxor Thanks for an actual use review.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jabba said:
    Well that’s a bummer I wonder why they changed the design?

This conversation is specific to the "track" boxes. The double protection box is the same as it's always been.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for all of the input above. :smiley:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

If one has their coins in a diversity of slab types, no box will be ideal. What this box does is protect your coins with intercept technology, does your PCGS/NGC etc. plastic boxes do that? I like the new boxes better than the old ones - I have both. The new ones are slightly smaller and the lids come off easier. I will be buying more.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

All points well taken. Thank you all for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file