Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another USPS HEAD SCRATCHER

maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not overly concerned,yet, but my coin went round and round to Sarasota.
TBC

✓ Shipping info received

✓ In transit

Delivered

Time and date Place Message
Friday, Mar 29, 2019 4:41 AM SARASOTA , FL PRE-SHIPMENT INFO SENT USPS AWAITS ITEM
Thursday, Mar 28, 2019 9:59 PM YBOR CITY FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
Thursday, Mar 28, 2019 9:59 PM TAMPA , FL PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
Thursday, Mar 28, 2019 6:17 PM SARASOTA , FL Departed Post Office
Thursday, Mar 28, 2019 6:17 PM SARASOTA , FL DEPART POST OFFICE
Thursday, Mar 28, 2019 2:14 PM SARASOTA , FL USPS picked up item
Thursday, Mar 28, 2019 2:14 PM SARASOTA , FL PICKED UP
Thursday, Mar 28, 2019 9:43 AM SARASOTA , FL SHIPPING LBL CREATED USPS AWAITS ITEM

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mapleman

Let’s see.

Sarasota to Tampa to Ybor and back to Sarasota... Sounds about right. ;)

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    @mapleman

Let’s see.

Sarasota to Tampa to Ybor and back to Sarasota... Sounds about right. ;)

Tinker to evers to chance to tinker to? Classic P.O.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

That first item says "PRE-SHIPMENT" so it's not a physical movement. Likely the shipper had a hickup in their system and sent the label data a 2nd time to USPS.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

could very well be or USPS did since their tracking service has been often erratic since the system changed it's really any ones guess. Bottom line is it's due on the first so TBC. @BStrauss3 said:

That first item says "PRE-SHIPMENT" so it's not a physical movement. Likely the shipper had a hickup in their system and sent the label data a 2nd time to USPS.

• Options

@mapleman said:
    could very well be or USPS did since their tracking service has been often erratic since the system changed it's really any ones guess. Bottom line is it's due on the first so TBC. @BStrauss3 said:

As long as it stays in the destination country you should be good @mapleman. :D

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

Was the packaging reused? This happened to us at xmas - LV to Denver back to LV and back to Denver, apparently because they scanned a spurious barcode left somewhereon the reused packaging.

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@mapleman said:

As long as it stays in the destination country you should be good @mapleman. :D

Eventually

• Options

@kbbpll said:
    Was the packaging reused? This happened to us at xmas - LV to Denver back to LV and back to Denver, apparently because they scanned a spurious barcode left somewhereon the reused packaging.

Shipper was MCM probably not though we'll see . ebay tracking also left out Tampa.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks like a problem with the shipping label and they sent it back for a new label.

• Options

Plausable, never considered that. I'll look over the package, would the replacement label have same tracking? Whatever latest is two in transits.

• Options

@mapleman said:
    Plausable, never considered that. I'll look over the package, would the replacement label have same tracking? Whatever latest is two in transits.

It could. I once had a registered package return to me because they couldn't find the address. [It got within 1 mile of the destination and they couldn't decide between W and E, lol] My post office corrected it for me and then sent it back out under the same number.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@mapleman said:

It could. I once had a registered package return to me because they couldn't find the address. [It got within 1 mile of the destination and they couldn't decide between W and E, lol] My post office corrected it for me and then sent it back out under the same number.

It's a possibility,thanks ill advise upon Dely hopefully monday

• Options

So, alls well, the package arrived moments ago.
    The packaging was intact and seemed original. Best of all the sovereign looked au to me which it was advertised.
    Condition could hAve something to do with 1918 date just a guess. Thanks to all,just another USPS special delivery I guess.

J

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    That looks like a problem with the shipping label and they sent it back for a new label.

new label = new tracking number?

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does your package like golf and boating? Because from my knowledge of Sarasota (spending a summer there and flying in a few times), the only thing it has in addition to horrendous summer humidity is golf and boating.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

Nope same all the way. Whts interesting is Tampa scan dropped off after first notification as did second Sarasota. Who knows but it,s here.

• Options

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

new label = new tracking number?

not necessarily, see my message above. If it just needs fixing

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strange. I had a package go to Sarasota on the 25th and tracking shows its still in holding pattern too!

• Options

Is there a weather event happening in that area?

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good thing USPS doesn't charge by the mile.

GrandAm :)
  • Options

@Hemispherical said:
    Is there a weather event happening in that area?

I had a friend delay a return drive last week because of weather but it was a matter of convienence. What ever happened to 'rain snow sleet or hail' anyhow all's well on this one.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This seems to happen occasionally... I have told the story here about a package my wife was expecting... from an adjacent state... went across country to the west coast (with stops in between) and finally back to the east and delivered... I think I recall a total of eight stops... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2019 6:09AM

I had a check mailed priority that took an interesting detour from Virginia to New York. It spent 17 days in Denver right after pot was legalized. I figured it had a great time at a party.

I am currently awaiting 4 registered mail packages that 'left' the DC sorting facility anywhere from the 24th to the 28th. I think they are coming by bicycle. Perhaps by covered wagon.

• Options

@GRANDAM said:

Actually, they do for packages

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@GRANDAM said:

Yes, except for first class letters, charge is based on how far the destination zone is from the origination zone. Computer calculates based on the two zip codes.

• Options

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@GRANDAM said:

Yes, except for first class letters, charge is based on how far the destination zone is from the origination zone. Computer calculates based on the two zip codes.

Priority to Hawaii was the same as to nj from pa. As I recall.

• Options
    edited April 2, 2019 7:57AM

@mapleman said:

Flat rate priority is a flat rate nationwide and its cost is not based on zones. Regular (non-flat rate) priority does vary in cost for the same package depending on how many zones away the destination is located. Zone number determines shipping cost and is determined by how far away the destination is located. Zone numbers are not based on a fixed map, they are based on distance between the origination and the destination zip codes.

Note that for Non Flat Rate Priority mail, the USPS does offer "Regional Rate" shipping boxes as an alternative for customers who purchase and print shipping labels online. Regional Rate Boxes provide shippers with a low cost mail class for packages traveling short distances. Pricing for Regional Rate Boxes is zone-based.

First determine the zone number of your shipment:
    Zone calculator for regional rate priority shipping. Click on the "Get Zone for Zip Code Pair" tab.

Then based on the zone number determine it's cost:
    USPS Regional Rate Priority cost calculation explained

Regional rate labels are currently available when printing shipping labels from ebay and from USPS "click-n-ship." Not sure if available when printing labels from paypal. Regional boxes are available free only from the USPS on line store.

• Options

@derryb said:

@mapleman said:

Flat rate priority is a flat rate nationwide and its cost is not based on zones. Regular (non-flat rate) priority does vary in cost for the same package depending on how many zones away the destination is located. Zone number determines shipping cost and is determined by how far away the destination is located. Zone numbers are not based on a fixed map, they are based on distance between the origination and the destination zip codes.

Note that for Non Flat Rate Priority mail, the USPS does offer "Regional Rate" shipping boxes as an alternative for customers who purchase and print shipping labels online. Regional Rate Boxes provide shippers with a low cost mail class for packages traveling short distances. Pricing for Regional Rate Boxes is zone-based.

First determine the zone number of your shipment:
    Zone calculator for regional rate priority shipping. Click on the "Get Zone for Zip Code Pair" tab.

Then based on the zone number determine it's cost:
    USPS Regional Rate Priority cost calculation explained

Regional rate labels are currently available when printing shipping labels from ebay and from USPS "click-n-ship." Not sure if available when printing labels from paypal. Regional boxes are available free only from the USPS on line store.

Thanks for the information.
    I'm glad I only ship a few packages a year.
    Best
    J

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file