Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My son and I found this odd quarter

IronHammerIronHammer Posts: 33 ✭✭
edited March 29, 2019 5:02PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have never seen anything like this before (which isn’t saying much as we are still kind of new to numismatics). We were searching bank rolls of quarters for our collections and stumbled across a 1999 New Jersey quarter that was missing the “NE” in “New Jersey” and the 1in 1787. What do I make of this, if anything?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool.
    Obviously something on the die prevented it from striking up the full design.
    Most will call it a grease filled die strike.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to find halves in rolls like this occasionally. No expert here, but my thought always went to grease filled die.

Jeff

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the hobby!

• Options

Ok. Very cool to know. Thanks guys! And it is fun to find errors like these!

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IronHammer

Good to see you and your son enjoying the hobby!

Information on grease filled die here. Plus much more: http://www.error-ref.com/struck-through-smooth-viscous-material-grease-oil/

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bad news is that it is not worth much (but is fun to find), but the good news is that the two of you have a good eye to spot it. There are some major errors floating around and it takes a good eye to spot them.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IronHammer said:
    Lol He almost has his first Statehood book filled so we went to Hobby Lobby and loved their giant Statehood Map. So we are starting to fill it out tonight!

Ahhh...good times! I love hearing stories like this.

• Options

Having a real hard time finding some statehood quarters like DC, Peurto Rico and Guam. Is that normal? Also any of the 2012 NP quarters are very hard to find in rolls

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:

@IronHammer said:
    Lol He almost has his first Statehood book filled so we went to Hobby Lobby and loved their giant Statehood Map. So we are starting to fill it out tonight!

Ahhh...good times! I love hearing stories like this.

Me too!

I remember doing this years ago with my nephews. They still talk about it.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

WEST Jersey maybe? ;)

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IronHammer said:
    Having a real hard time finding some statehood quarters like DC, Peurto Rico and Guam. Is that normal? Also any of the 2012 NP quarters are very hard to find in rolls

The 2009 issues are hard to find.
    You are right about the 2012 coins too.
    I've found only 3-4 Hawaii coins and I go through a decent amount of quarters.

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

I've come across several Hawaii's recently while roll searching, along with some of the Guam P.R, etc, too. People are still slowly releasing them back into the wild. So there's still hope for you & your son!

That said, I believe what you have there is the elusive "Washington Crossing the Rancocas Creek Back Into West Jersey" quarter, commemorating the split in that part of the state to follow/cheer for the Eagles/Phillies/Flyers rather than the Giants/Mets/Devils. A little-known piece of history............... ;):)

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

So it's a minor error none the less. Time to start an error binder. There's lots of interesting oddities and errors to seek. Wait till you get the Cherrypickers guide vol 1. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IronHammer

Cherrypickers’ Guide sounds like a good book you and your son can enjoy together.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12111024/#Comment_12111024

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IronHammer ... Welcome aboard... I agree with the assessments above... and also it is great that you and your son are enjoying this hobby together.... Good luck with your search for the others... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thanks for all the insights and info. You all are the best! Finally came across a rare D.C. statehood quarter and an even rarer Puerto Rico statehood quarter. I'm happy.

Since I only have the one error coin, I just put it in an empty slot in my statehood folder for now. We'll be keeping an eye out for more variants and errors. We look real close at all Wisconsin statehood quarters too for any variants. We haven't found any yet!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file