Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

$2 Ruth real

Comments

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

So he has all these other cards graded/authenticated by TPG's but takes that one to a forensic expert and only confirms that the material it is printed on is from that era?? Still doesn't confirm that the card is actually authentic. I mean, I wish the best for anyone in that situation but I agree, I still have my doubts as well. And I may be horrible, but I really chuckled at that interview.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that card is real I'll eat my pickup truck.

Arthur

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it’s real, it’s a mighty big coincidence it has the same exact wear pattern as another graded copy.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake, Fake, Fake

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is fascinating though.

• Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

This whole story smells like either a PR stunt or some sort of BS. Who owns the PSA graded card? Any chance this clown somehow owns it, cracks it out of the slab and is now acting like he found it for $2? If he legitimately owns those other high dollar cards maybe he has some wealth to back making very large purchases. If this isn't the PSA card cracked out of the slab there is no way this card is legit with the same damage.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also agree seems fishy about not being in a PSA case. No clue if real or not.

But if it is real(which I doubt). Think how much the other guy is crying.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    If it’s real, it’s a mighty big coincidence it has the same exact wear pattern as another graded copy.

incredible ....
    cracked out ?

• Options

@lawyer05 said:

@PaulMaul said:

incredible ....
    cracked out ?

if he bought it in california PSA is close by,,, why not authenticate?

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    If this is the same one discussed a few months ago, I still have my doubts ...
    https://abc7chicago.com/society/mans-$2-babe-ruth-card-could-fetch-more-than-$45-million/5223767/

i saw it this morning, something is not right

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not in a PSA holder for a very good reason.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

He probably won't authenticate it, because he knows its fake.

• Options
    edited March 29, 2019 10:43AM

It can’t be a crack out of the same card unless he’s just blatantly lying. His story is that he bought it raw in the last few months, whereas this card was graded 8 years ago.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d give him $5 for it if he wants to more than double his money.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

The more I think about this the dumber it is. Is journalism dead? Don’t reporters ever question anything anymore? This guy has done everything but seek out the opinion of experts in the card field. Doesn’t that raise a few red flags?

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

We need more generous people like you in this world!

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2019 11:16AM

@PaulMaul said:
    The more I think about this the dumber it is. Is journalism dead? Don’t reporters ever question anything anymore? This guy has done everything but seek out the opinion of experts in the card field. Doesn’t that raise a few red flags?

Print first, research second. Thank CNN (it’s birth, not it’s existence) and the internet as the driving force behind the crumbling ethics of journalism. There’s really no longer a penalty for spreading rumors; many major networks and publications are often comfortable making it the lead! And this is not political commentary but actual commentary on the media across the board - politics, sports, entertainment, etc. where can you go these days for credible information? It’s all breaking news and scandals front page and retractions and apologies last page. And in between, it is mostly editorials masquerading as news reports depending on the leanings of the owner and editor in chief of the paper. Biased and/or agenda based reporting should be the actual headline story reported on in the news - just have to find someone capable to report on it.

Clowns to the left of me,
    jokers to the right...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

It will be funny when the next big find of this card occurs. When Goober proudly shows it off to the press his example will display the two red arrows. According to the experts he showed it to, who prefer to remain anonymous, the arrows indicate it's a rare printers proof with the arrows pointing out spots the printers need to touch up.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

My thoughts:

1. Ughhh. I had hoped that we'd already heard the last of this story.
    2. If you're going to find a legit Babe Ruth card, it's NOT gonna be in a baseball card shop. Duh. That'd be like a Lamborghini dealer selling you a car for $100.
    3. According to VCP, the lone PSA-graded '21 Shotwell Ruth (a PSA 1.5) sold for $6,142 back in 2009. Even if this card is real (which it's not), how on Earth did anyone arrive at a $4.5 million estimate??? What am I missing here?
    4. This dude is completely full of crap with his fake tears and sob story. Just stop already. You may have convinced the naive news outlets this card is real, but those in the know know better. He reminds me of the 2 guys who were pimping their fake Wagner all over the place trying to convince the world it was real. I'm sure PSA and SGC already shot him down. Convenient that it's not part of the story.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

"how on Earth did anyone arrive at a $4.5 million estimate??? What am I missing here?"

He explained that very clearly. Company called Auction Place. And the card was made by Babe Ruth's statue at the NEW Yankee stadium.

• Options
    edited March 29, 2019 2:11PM

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

We need more generous people like you in this world!

I'll make it an even $10. Final offer.😉