Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Name your favorite hoard story

yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recently saw a program about the Baltimore gold hoard from the Depression.

Crazy story.

What is your favorite discovered hoard story?

One that is factual and reported in the news.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

Comments

• Options
    dan_marinellidan_marinelli Posts: 195 ✭✭✭

I like the one where the silver dollars were pitched into holes in the wall (I think?) and cans of peaches were among them and when the cans burst the peach juice toned the coins. Can't remember the name of the hoard, but it did happen somewhere in Nevada I think.

Successful transactions here and ATS with: jwitten, Rob41281, bajjerfan, cucamongacoin, Jim F., physics-fan3.14, x2rider, Wahoo554, Weather11am, Relaxn, jimineez1, Ronyahski, Bliggity, SurfinxHI, McGrump (thru BAJJERFAN), ms71, Downtown1974, ad4400

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saddle Ridge hoard @ricko.

Love that story too
    http://saddleridgehoard.com

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Swampboy.... That is the one.... Thank you.... A really great story ....I am a treasure hunter at heart and I love good stories - helps me to 'keep the faith' when looking for my own treasure... Some day... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like that factual one BUT not reported, oops I've said too much. ;)

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2019 2:02PM

@dan_marinelli said:
    I like the one where the silver dollars were pitched into holes in the wall (I think?) and cans of peaches were among them and when the cans burst the peach juice toned the coins. Can't remember the name of the hoard, but it did happen somewhere in Nevada I think.

LaVere Redfield. 400,000 coins, $7.5M or so
    Most of the peach juice coins were 1924P's. That's no longer a "milk spot", We're calling it environmental damage now :#

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

The NY Subway hoard is pretty cool.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

Not US, but I thought the Catillon II Celtic hoard was pretty cool. 70,000 coins weighing half a ton plus gold torcs.
    https://www.archaeology.org/issues/263-1707/from-the-trenches/5641-trenches-jersey-celtic-coin-hoard-disassembly
    Check out the time lapse video of the ~3 year disassembly.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    The NY Subway hoard is pretty cool.

Very good read!

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm torn between the Redfield hoard (Reno where I graduated college) and the Walter Samaszko hoard in Carson City. Both were about $7 million at time of being found. I think I'll just go with my hometown boy Walter.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one I am gonna find any day now. But nobody will know.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've mentioned this before, but not lately. I once helped a local dealer process (sort and grade) a 55-gallon drum of Barber halves. He was in his 60's at the time and had a small Ford Ranger pickup. H was afraid his truck would collapse, then he thought his dining room floor would collapse. In hindsight I would have cataloged the find, but he needed the money back asap...basically before the check cleared. I picked two sets from it a VG and an AU. He had at least one roll set from it, but most of the keys were AGs.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2019 5:23PM

How about this one
    My favorite
    Just once in my life I'd like to experience having gold coins rain down from the ceiling

https://www.monacorarecoins.com/ww-ii-gold-hoard-lanson-champagne/

https://www.bonhams.com/press_release/12696/

• Options
    CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    I'm torn between the Redfield hoard (Reno where I graduated college) and the Walter Samaszko hoard in Carson City. Both were about $7 million at time of being found. I think I'll just go with my hometown boy Walter.

bob :)

Tough to beat the Redfield Hoard and Mansion if you're from Northern Nevada. Growing up with silver dollars in your pocket was a main stay and Redfield just added to the mystique. The Redfields have done a lot for UNR. Take care...CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course Redfield is tough to beat.....but Ted Binion put together quite a load !

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I collect and write about the early commemorative coins mine is Lyman H. Low selling 400 Isabella Quarters in the early 1900s.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

Economite

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't believe anyone has mentioned the Randall Hoard.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would all of the recently discovered and recovery of ship wrecks count?

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the Redfield Hoard for me. There's a very good book about this incredible tale. The book is shown in my display from a year ago.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Economite

And Mohawk. 😍

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

I would have to say mine would be the Binion Hoard and the sad story that goes along with it and then the Redfield hoard.

• Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without a doubt The Continental Bank Hoard.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I like the one in California, where a can of gold coins was discovered on a trail, partially protruding. Dislodged, it contained a large quantity of U.S. gold coins... I forget the name of that hoard.. Cheers, RickO

this

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

The GRAMPAW hoard!
    When my grampaw died, Gramma had to cash in his silver dollars that he kept in a trunk in a bedroom closet.
    We (Gramma, my mother, and I) took em to the bank.
    AND.... they wouldn't take them.
    BECAUSE
    he had rolled them in rolls of.... 25. :o
    Sooooooooooooooo
    we had to go back to my house, open all the rolls, and roll them in 20s. :#
    HOWEVER....
    Gramma gave my cousin and me each 5 coins.
    AND
    Of course ....we picked the OLDEST dates we could find. :s
    And, to this day I wonder how many in the 1890's we didn't pick. :'(

(oh, it was 600 and some)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is a cool story... and how many CC's went to the bank?? Probably never checked them...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heck no. We KNOW older is better. :D

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

A priest, a minister, and a rabbi go into a hoard house....

Wait...I think I misunderstood. :blush:

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ParlousJoe said:
    I would have to say mine would be the Binion Hoard and the sad story that goes along with it and then the Redfield hoard.

The Binion Hoard and Binion family where quite a big deal in their day...non stop news in Nevada. I have a nice toned NGC Binion Morgan in my "Nevada" collection. Take care...CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Luxor said:
    Without a doubt The Continental Bank Hoard.

Throw in the currency and you may have a winner, especially on the buy side.
    I only handled two ordinary bags through George Weingart but saw some of the colorful crème de la creme some ignorant paranoids now declare AT. But those were all common dates, whereas Redfield had some better S-mints. On the other other hand, Eddie Milas got an incredibly good deal, even if it was only a measly 200,000 coins :#

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file