Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

$100 Dollar Bill with Chopmarks (the little stamps of colored ink on back) **Show me yours**

I got one that had more than I remember seeing. I am a coin person and don't do paper much other than watching my bills for stars, special numbers etc. I know this is damage to the bill that adds no value and is not an error. Was wondering if there is a small collector base for ones with the most chopmarks. The $100's seem to get the most but they can be found on 50's , 20's , 10's & 5's. I thought it might be fun to see who has the most chopmarks on one bill. Looks like I have 14 on this one.
Anyone willing to show me yours? You don't need the most to post a photo. :)

Comments

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mbwizkid Wow! that one is cool, I have never seen one on a bill that old. Thanks for sharing :)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yowza - where has that bill been. I associate those with Chinese merchants in he US, but some of yours look Arabic. I would suspect that the bill may have spent time overseas, but then again overseas they like clean bills.

If I ever catch a merchant chop marking bills I will ask him to do a one or two dollar bill for me so I can keep it. I can't start a collection of chopped 20s and 100s. ;)

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

Here's my chopmarked $100:

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apparently they are collectible :smile:
    Thanks for the thread @ifthevamzarockin

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@Steve27 Nice! I like the red chop on the red seal note. Thanks for sharing! :)

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

We alright with Chinese notes?

• Options

@ChopmarkedTrades "We alright with Chinese notes?"

Yes, and thanks for sharing! :)

It is kinda cheating, how do we know what ones are printed and what ones are stamped? :D

• Options

Got kind of a lower serial number star with 3 chops.

• Options

Got a $20 with 5 chops.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't realize how many $100 bills have chopmarks on them until you have to have say $20K in them without marks, damage etc. I can tell you that in E. Europe any marks like those on a bill render it suspect right away. Even older small head bills were rejected - I bought them at a discount when I was there, say $45 for a $50 because I couldn't do anything with it there, had to wait until I came back to the USA.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

One big arsed chopmark on a bill.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

@SaorAlba
    That is a beautiful note! Thanks for sharing :)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Got a $20 with 5 chops.

Hey! Those are in Spanish. I think you need another name for them.

Maybe El Chopos?

:D

• Options

I haven't seen very many chop marks for a while, maybe Covid has had something to do with it.
    I got a rare one today, unfortunately rare doesn't make it worth a bunch of money.
    The $100 & $50 are common to find stamped, the $20, $10 & $5 are very hard to find, I have never seen a $1.
    I believe it is a genuine chop mark and not some other type of stamp.

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now you see it...

Now you don’t...

• Options

@mbwizkid Super cool matching number set! :)

• Options

It’s the same note. The top one has the Chopmark and the lower one doesn’t.

• Options

@mbwizkid How did you get a before & after? There has to a cool story here. ;)

• Options

I bought the note while it had the chopmark. I sent the note to a paper conservator and asked for the chopmark to be removed. Looking back and given the choice, I would have left it as is.

• Options
    cashhoundcashhound Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure these are even considered chop marks?

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭

Where dd the term "Chop" come from?

• Options

It’s a term borrowed from the coin side, originating with Trade Dollars.