Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Sb hong kong auction March 26, 2019

jt88jt88 Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

Generally speaking price is very high which surprised many dealers.

Comments

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bid on one coin and wasn't even the underbidder.

But I was watching the non-Chinese coins and prices were spotty.

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

Modern china coin.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yawn! Judging by the auction room, even the Chinese find these concoctions uninteresting.

That's not to say, of course, that they won't get bid to crazy levels. Too many people pay crazy money for glittery bullion.

First one price is ok compared with second one.

This is the first time I did not get any coin in the past 10 years in Sb auction. Lol.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy cow that is pricey pretty bullion. Super cool you get to be at the sale.

I bought one coin in the auction, one that I've seen sold by the auction houses and then repriced onto eBay or elsewhere at mark ups I can't stomach. Happy to finally add the coin to my varieties grouping. I'll post it when it gets here (I'll do a post showing all the varieties).

I'm sorry you and @pruebas didn't get what you were looking for though. That is always painful.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

I look at the prices realized for the NCLT bullion coins and am glad I no longer buy any coins.

All glory is fleeting.
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was hoping everyone would be focused on the near perfect graded bullion and pay no attention to the dirty, graffiti’d chopmarked pieces. Some of them still went real strong but I was able to pick up this one:

Pretty much the opposite of MS-69-70 bullion. Lots of history still clinging to the surfaces.

Very nice looking coin. Chinese don’t like chop so less competition.

I just send an email to Sb questioning a lot. I was high bidder at 420 and my max bid is 440. It is sold for 440 plus fee but I am not the winner; why? Unbelievable. Never a fair auction.

• ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:
    I was hoping everyone would be focused on the near perfect graded bullion and pay no attention to the dirty, graffiti’d chopmarked pieces. Some of them still went real strong but I was able to pick up this one:

Pretty much the opposite of MS-69-70 bullion. Lots of history still clinging to the surfaces.

Nice, the color is really vibrant. Good pickup!

There were a substantial number of chopmarked pieces in the auction this time around, and as @OriginalDan mentioned prices were certainly high on the better examples. Are we seeing a greater acceptance for these coins by domestic Chinese collectors?

I bid on a single coin but found myself the underbidder. So it goes, at least I didn't overpay.

@jt88 -- were you bidding on the Japanese coins at all? Any sense of direction there? I see more of the pre-Meiji stuff getting offered (or I'm noticing it more), but curious if there was a 'vibe' going on.

Yes I bid on japan coin as well but got all outbid in live. I bid on more than 120 coins but only got 6 common coins in inertnet auction

I bid on 12 japan coin but got all outbid in live

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting information, thank you all for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
    edited March 28, 2019 1:50PM

Stork,

Couple of japan coin I got outbid just by one bid. Maybe you outbid me in live auction. I am not going to chase the price. In fact when I read your post again. You outbid me. You got the type3 one k cheaper than ha. I don’t want to chase the price like last time at ha.

Maybe so, I'll pm you the one I had. I used their proxy bid this time so it would have been executed live.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2019 7:49PM

0 for 6, and I wasn't lowball bidding. I didn't even bother with the 1935-B British trade dollar, knowing it would be way over my limit.