Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1835 Large cent variety

Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keeping in mind that I dug this up the other day. Data at our host site attributes this to be Head of 1936, small 8, large stars. LIBERTY is strong which is good. This is as clean as it's gonna get after a mineral oil soak and a loving pat dry. Your comments are appreciated. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pulled out the pics @Namvet69. She looks pretty good with your loving patting. :)

Rotated the original pic.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely the Head of '36, the other attributes look right also....and the price was right too!
    Don't have reference book at hand to determine the Newcomb variety though.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice catch :)

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat find. In all my years of metal detecting I've never found a classic coin.

• Options

Thanks @Hemispherical for opening them up. I was pretty jazzed about this one. I've dug dozens of large cents but not this date. I went back to the same ground this afternoon and dug a 1753 1/2 real with good detail. Images shortly.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    edited March 26, 2019 3:04PM

You found yourself a numismatic honey hole @Namvet69!

• Options

I know it's not a U.S. coin but it was the currency of the frontier. At least it doesn't have a hole in it and it was only 4 inches down. Peace Roy

• Options
    edited March 26, 2019 3:25PM

@Namvet69 said:
    I know it's not a U.S. coin but it was the currency of the frontier. At least it doesn't have a hole in it and it was only 4 inches down. Peace Roy

@Namvet69 Goog brought up a spanish reale?

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces26556.html

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the correct link to the Mexico 1747-60 1 Real:
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces15083.html

• Options

Thanks everyone for your interest and input.
    Checking the rest of my goodies, looks to be one NJ copper 1787? and a flowing hair portrait right, gotta weigh and caliper that one to narrow it down. More to come.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang!! That's a pretty fertile hunting ground!! Congrats!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

I am very fortunate and grateful. And springtime is beautiful. Peace Roy

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69... Wow... that is a great spot you have....When you get time, perhaps you can research the history of that area.... must have been some interesting activities there.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    brianc1959brianc1959 Posts: 342 ✭✭✭✭✭

1835 is one of my favorite years, and I've been working on a complete mint set of that date for some time now. The head of 1836 is the nicest of the three major cent varieties of 1835 IMO. Very cool find!

Brian

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file