Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coins in movies, ever Seen "Winchester 73" before??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I've seen it before, which is likely, it was long ago and has faded from my memory. It's streaming now and there have been quite a few scenes with coins. Actually the whole movie so far.

There's the contest scene(s) where James Stewart and Stephen McNally shooting at Silver Dollars and then John McIntyre and McNally playing poker for Silver Dollars and one hand with Gold Coins: the bet is $300 but it doesn't seem that there is enough of a pile to total that much. The topper thus far is a young Rock Hudson as a bare-chested Indian named "Young Bull" doing a gun trade with McIntyre. Hudson is wearing a Jefferson Peace Medal around his neck!!

Pretty interesting props so far.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2019 7:59AM

Yes.

An Indian shows James Stewart his silver dollar

An Indian wearing his Thomas Jefferson Indian Peace Medal

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never seen it. Worth watching?

• Options

yeah, full of names if you're a movie buff and know who they are.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Name the movie!

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2019 12:51PM

Manchester 73 is a great movie.

The photo of Christopher Reeve is the movie Somewhere in TIme.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭

Its a really good western. Walter Brennan loses his "store teeth" in a poker game. During a shooting contest on Main Street, Stewart wins the titled gun by shooting through the hole made in a coin by his opponent's shot.

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Veep said:
    Stewart wins the titled gun by shooting through the hole made in a coin by his opponent's shot.

Actually he won it by shooting thru a postage stamp. His opponent completely missed the target.

• Options

Walter Brennan loses his teeth in "Red River" and not this movie, and he shoots through the center of a round, holed piece of metal from an Indians necklace which has a stamp covering the hole. that means Veep was 0-2.

strangely, the Indian who won the teeth in "Red River" and the Indian who supplies the necklace in "Winchester '73" is played by the same actor, Chief Yowlachie.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before? Before what? Swimming?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somewhere in Time . . . . yes . . . . . . interesting. For a guy like me with a top 5 that is Sci-Fi . . . that was a good flick . . . .

Drunner

• Options

I have a strange story about Somewhere In Time. It was my birthday on Feb. 13th and everything is always booked up due to Valentines Day. But my then girlfriend and I set off on a road trip to Sedona, of course, everything was booked we ended up going to Jerome Arizona and they had a room left. We got up to the room (this hotel is really old much like the hotel in the movie) and I decided we should watch Somewhere In Time. I called the desk clerk (Philip) and asked about the movie, he said: "Come down here right away!" He showed me a brochure of the hotel we were at, it was The Jerome Grand Hotel, the Somewhere In Time hotel !! But he said sadly the movie was rented, so I went over to the cabinets where the movies were and I opened a drawer and there was Somewhere In Time sitting alone in the drawer!

We go get some food and came back and started the movie, right at the scene when she gives him the watch and it says 11:20 we look at our clock and it says 11:20. Anyway, so many weird things happened this whole trip. At one point I went down and bought some postcards, my change was 1 cent and the desk clerk laughed when he looked at the coin and handed it to me, I couldn't figure out why, he told me to save the penny, which I taped into a scrapbook of the trip. Some years later after watching the movie for the 100th or more time, and I ran to my scrapbook and looked at the penny and it was 1979!

To make a long story short, this was a haunted hotel and we stayed up pretty late looking for ghosts. Philip had told me he would send me a copy of the show Sightings about the Jerome Grand, a few weeks later when I called asking for Philip, they told me there was no one by that name! I said "he was the desk clerk," she told me they never had a male desk clerk ever! All the pictures I took with Philip behind the desk with the old fashioned phone circuit board, Philip is missing in the photos! It was a very crazy experience.

And also years later I worked at a hotel in Phoenix and Christopher Reeves actually stayed at the hotel, in fact, the day before he stayed there I opened the newspaper and saw an article they were auctioning off the Jerome Grand. I really wanted to tell Mr. Reeves the whole story, but I was off the day he was staying at the hotel and if you go in on your day off you can be fired. Now that I've thought about it all these years I really should of went in and met him!

Our head of security met him and they rode on the elevator together and he said that he was miffed that his hair stylist didn't comb his hair the way he wanted (he was in a wheelchair at this point). I'll always remember that story. Anyway, it's a dream of mine to go to the same hotel from the movie and especially on an Anniversary of the show celebration. I'd love to meet Jane Seymour. I've seen this movie hundreds of times! It's my all time favorite movie!

• Options
    1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2019 4:02PM

being the liberal that you are I am surprised you like this ? I am surprised you dont find something offensive

• Options

"being the liberal that you are I am surprised you like this ? I am surprised you dont find something offensive"

If your comment was a spice, your comment would be flour.

• Options
    1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    "being the liberal that you are I am surprised you like this ? I am surprised you dont find something offensive"

If your comment was a spice, your comment would be flour.

and if this was the Twilight Zone not sure about your comment

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2019 5:07PM

@keets said:
    Walter Brennan loses his teeth in "Red River" and not this movie, and he shoots through the center of a round, holed piece of metal from an Indians necklace which has a stamp covering the hole. that means Veep was 0-2.

strangely, the Indian who won the teeth in "Red River" and the Indian who supplies the necklace in "Winchester '73" is played by the same actor, Chief Yowlachie.

I was going to make these corrections, but see that keets beat me to it. Keets is absolutely correct on all counts. Both movies were great. I have probably seen each of these close to 50 times.

• Options

there are two Movie Genres that I really enjoy. one, as you might guess, is Westerns, especially the classic B&W's from the 40's and 50's. it's tough to watch them cause Casey hates them, she moans every time we watch. the second is Submarine Movies. I don't know why but I just like them.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    there are two Movie Genres that I really enjoy. one, as you might guess, is Westerns, especially the classic B&W's from the 40's and 50's. it's tough to watch them cause Casey hates them, she moans every time we watch. the second is Submarine Movies. I don't know why but I just like them.

Westerns is mine and my wife's favorite Movie Genre. We have the Western channel on our cable. We especially like John Wayne. Searchers is one of our favorites, And all the Rooster movies.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2019 9:12PM

@abcde12345, Jerome, Arizona is a very interesting place to visit. I was just there last year after the USMex convention in Phoenix. We we able to see the State park but the town was too darn crowded -- pretty funny situation for the "Largest Ghost town in America". Absolutely no parking available so we drove through without stopping.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jgenn said:
    @abcde12345, Jerome, Arizona is a very interesting place to visit. I was just there last year after the USMex convention in Phoenix. We we able to see the State park but the town was too darn crowded -- pretty funny situation for the "Largest Ghost town in America". Absolutely no parking available so we drove through without stopping.

If you had posted 3 minutes sooner it would have been 11:20. :D

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345....I lived in AZ for eight years, and went to Jerome and Sedona many times... great places to visit.
    I like Western movies too... I have the Clint Eastwood 'spaghetti westerns' on VHS... can't play them anymore though...I suppose I can get an adapter, but they come up on TV all the time...The Good, The Bad & The Ugly is an all time favorite. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

"The Enemy Below" is my favorite Sub movie. "Klasse Buckley" for sure.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

My choice for westerns is "My Name is Nobody." :)

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2019 11:11AM

DELETE

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Moby Dick

1. Captain Ahab [Gregory Peck] with the gold doubloon

He nails it to the ships' mast as a reward for the first seaman who spots the white whale.

Moby Dick

1. The gold doubloon nailed to the mast

The coin is an Ecuador Republic gold eight escudos or "doubloon".
    These particular types were minted from 1838 to 1843 in Quito, Ecuador.

Although the captain calls the coin an "ounce", it is actually around 8/10 of an ounce of gold,
    worth then around $16 US dollars.

The coin in the film is no doubt a prop coin, possibly minted on one side only.

Real coins of this type sell for $10,000 to over $20,000, they are sometimes called
    "Moby Dick coins" due to their mention in the book.

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always liked "Rio Bravo".

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    My choice for westerns is "My Name is Nobody." :)

Thanks bucket listing this as that's one Sergio Leone film I haven't seen.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Sergio Leone contributed, but was not the director. The movie is worth seeing for the bar scene alone. "You lucky skunk". Terrence Hill (Mario Girotti) also starred in the "Trinity" westerns.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Winchester 73 reinvigorated the Western movie genre after WWII. It was the first of a number of Westerns starring Jimmy Stewart directed by Anthony Mann (Bend of the River, Naked Spur, Man From Laramie, The Far Country). All worth viewing. The collaboration ended over creative differences at the start of "Night Passage", where Mann was replaced.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file