Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did I find some SBA 79p Wide Rim?

nickelsciolistnickelsciolist Posts: 195 ✭✭✭
edited March 26, 2019 1:59AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I don't have the expertise to tell. I'm going to consult a local collector\dealer, but thought I'd post this and see if I get opinions. Coin on the right is what I see typical of these (though there seems to be variance, and I used a D), left is typical of 3 79P I found.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 26, 2019 4:46AM

Thanks very much this is helpful. Hmmm...hard to say though. The rims are definitely wider, but not sure I see the same variation in the gap between the rim and the one. Maybe the rim is just flattened due to wear...I will ask the White Wizard. The White Wizard will know.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 'white wizard'?? Ok then..... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always felt that "wide rim" or "narrow rim" is a bit misleading. The key is how far the date is from the rim, not the width of the rim itself. Slight misalignment of the dies, variances in striking pressure, etc. can make the rim width vary within each type.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

I do not believe that either coin you posted is of the Wide Rim Variety.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my fave's,

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

@19Lyds said:
    I do not believe that either coin you posted is of the Wide Rim Variety.

Sounds like a...(wait for it)...near...miss. Ha. I crack myself up...

• Options

Brought these to our club meeting and compared to a near date...clearly the rim is wider but no mistaking the date is not close to the rim...

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks more like an off center strike which would make some of the rims wider and others narrower.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    looks more like an off center strike which would make some of the rims wider and others narrower.

This

I know a guy who thought he had collected a roll of these over time. What he had was a roll of very slightly off center strikes.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always felt that "wide rim" or "narrow rim" is a bit misleading. The key is how far the date is from the rim, not the width of the rim itself. Slight misalignment of the dies, variances in striking pressure, etc. can make the rim width vary within each type.

the position of the date relative to the portrait is the same on both Wide/Narrow rim issues. what changed is the width of the rim which is why that is how the coins are described. look at all the other dates and mm's, 1979-1981 P/D/S, they are all Wide Rims. the only Narrow Rim is the 1979-P which must have been put into production first and the bulk of the production run was with the Narrow Rim dies. then all Mints and all years proceeded with the newer, Wider Rim dies.

another point: the distance from the rim to the date on an off-center strike would be the same on a perfectly symmetrical strike. I have always thought the use of "Near Date" and "Far Date" were misleading, I correct people in the store all the time but they rarely get it.

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Think of it as a near date and far date as opposed to wide and narrow rim

• Options
    edited April 5, 2019 6:56AM

Those wide rims...man they are sneaky. So sneaky.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

not sneaky at all. there is only one date you need to look at, 1979-P, and even my old eyes can discern the difference without a loupe. you just need to look at more coins and you'l understand the difference in the two.

• Options

Yeah...after I saw a real "near date" I realized it's pretty easy to tell. There really is a quite a lot of variance in the rim width, so the term "wide-rim" seems like a misnomer to me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file