Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cracking Open Holders?

scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few coins I want to submit to PCGS for crossover. I have heard some people mention cracking open a holder and submitting the coin raw. Why would anyone do that? It seems like it would be a bit risky.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

You get your best view of a coin and its edge if it's out of the holder. Sad thing is that after it leaves the grading room everybody else has to judge it in the holder.

There have been instances where a coin has crossed but issues are discovered when it's cracked out. If you value the coin as is if it doesn't cross, then submit it in the holder.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

When cracking a coin out of a slab, you risk damage...If that risk is acceptable, then go ahead. There are opinions on both sides of submitting in or out of a slab...they are opinions and you be the judge. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

I once had a toned Barber quarter that I paid stu- — I mean big — money for, and I’m glad I never bandsawed it out of its holder from across the street. PCGS sent it back as no thanks, looks AT, on two attempts. A few other toned coins graded by the same company crossed for me no problem. Unless you know exactly what you’re doing, leave them in the slab. :)

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is in a ngc holder I would crack it out. You have a better chance of getting a correct grade. I believe a coin in a ngc holder throws up a red flag to the graders. JMHO. Especially high grade uncs.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

--- based on the opinion and explanation of David Hall I would leave it in the holder.
    --- based on my own experience and results I would leave it in the holder.

the only suggestion(s) I would make is that you assess the coin as well as possible to be sure you aren't missing something that would result in a DNC. then you have one of two choices to make: minimum grade should be either the same as currently encapsulated or any grade. whenever I choose any grade I have to weigh what the loss of value will be vs. how important it is to have the coin in a PCGS holder.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Examine the coin as if you were being offered it for sale. Is this a coin you would NOW accept as being SOLIDLY in the stated grade? If it is, just leave it in the holder when you submit it. If it isn't, save yourself some money and just offer it for sale as is.

If you are not an expert grader find someone locally who is and will offer their opinion.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    If it is in a ngc holder I would crack it out. You have a better chance of getting a correct grade. I believe a coin in a ngc holder throws up a red flag to the graders. JMHO. Especially high grade uncs.

Is the red flag in the "I'll take the why isn't it already in a PCGS holder" for $600 Alex?

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Is the red flag in the "I'll take the why isn't it already in a PCGS holder" for $600 Alex?

I just don't think they like each other and they don't want to agree with each other. From personal experience I do better sending in raw as opposed to crossover with ngc coins.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are considerations I make when I want to move a holdered coin into a PCGS slab.

If I submit it raw is there a possibility it may bodybag (i.e., for suspicious color/toning, signs of improper cleaning, a scratch or rim damage, etc.)?

YES. Then I leave it in the holder and cross it at any grade (no minimum). If PCGS crosses it to a grade lower than I think it deserves I resubmit it for a "regrade". (True, this costs more money. Also true, it often upgrades.)

NO. Then I crack it and submit raw for the best possible grade.

Rationale: PCGS is usually conservative about crosses because of the possibility of something hidden. PCGS prefers to grade coins raw and results are generally better. Once a coin is straight-graded by PCGS it is guaranteed not to downgrade (else a payout). So requesting a cross at any grade is good strategy if the PCGS holder is very important to you.

Sometimes a downgrade can be a big hit to the coin's market value. If that's the case I may try a cross at grade and do nothing more if it doesn't cross. I try to avoid this situation when buying.
    Lance.

P.S. I have cracked hundreds of coins from all TPG's and never had the slightest damage. Learn how to do it from someone with experience before taking it on alone.

• Options
    edited March 25, 2019 7:43PM

Thanks a ton for the knowledge! All the coins I want to cross are in ICG holders. Most I wouldn't mind cracking open, I have done it before, but some are just too nice and I would be afraid I would F*#% it up. :)

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a great video on how to do it - but please do not try this yourself :smile:

https://youtu.be/10w3R6Go0zM

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    I just don't think they like each other and they don't want to agree with each other. From personal experience I do better sending in raw as opposed to crossover with ngc coins.

I would like to believe our host is more ethical has more integrity than that.

Cheers

Bob

• Options

@Outhaul said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I would like to believe our host is more ethical has more integrity than that.

Cheers

Bob

I'm just going by what I personally saw. :/

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN

I understand. I just like to give them the benefit of the doubt. ;)

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2019 7:12AM

NGC grades coins sometimes in accordance with PCGS standards and sometimes not, it is the responsibility of each of us to make that determination. to my way of thinking that doesn't mean either service doesn't know how to grade, just that they sometimes don't agree with each other. that's OK. if I buy an NGC MS65 and decide I want it to be in a same grade PCGS holder then the onus is on me to buy and NGC coin that meets the PCGS standards. if I buy a coin and it doesn't cross who's fault is that, mine --- NGC's --- PCGS's??? I think it is my fault.

viewed in those terms, if I look at the above pasted comment I think the submitter needs to screen his coins a little better. that is what I have learned to do and my "odds" at crossover from NGC to PCGS have increased accordingly.

• Options

Here's a great video on how to do it - but please do not try this yourself :smile:

What an interesting technique, I prefer to crack my holders open with buckshot. ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file