Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1943 S War Nickel. I need some help please!

Hello everyone, I hope you are doing well. I Thank you all in advance for any and all help, info, and education. I came across this 1943 S nickel the other day, I believe it is a clipped error, however the question I want to ask is , are all 1943 nickels made with silver? And would it be possible to find one made from copper or steel? The reason I ask is because, the one I have here has what I believe to be copper underneath the worn spots, and looks nothing like the silver war nickels that I see on the internet . Also I'm pretty sure it's not from Toning.🤔 Again thank you for any input.
~

😍BabyLove

I hope these pics do justice

~Babygirl

Comments

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's possible that you have a clipped planchet but my guess is post mint damage. A clip should not have been circulated for such a long time.

My 2 cents.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post an edge pic of the clip. Looks weirdly too straight.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a legitimate minor clip.

That copper color is common on worn war nickels. It's just toning.

The nickels are only 35% silver, by the way.

There are no copper nickel-sized planchets so it would be impossible to have a nickel sized copper coin. A nickel struck on copper would most likely be stuck on a cent planchet and would be easy to identify by weight.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

The flat edge is post-Mint damage.

The coin is 35% silver. The copper coloring is just odd toning. Means nothing.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

I might add that a rare error would be a 1943 war nickel struck on a regular nickel planchet. You don't have one, but a few do exist

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Babylove27 ... Welcome aboard.... You have excellent answers to your question above....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2019 2:18AM

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with most above. Normal ( if not common) toning and probable post mint damage.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

it has been clipped after it left the mint if there are ridges on both sides in the field by the missing part. Someone could have pushed it up into a grinder or something, but post mint damage.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

That straight edge is from being used for probably a few thousand scratch off lottery tickets. (??maybe-!!) The toning is not that so unusual.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jedm said:
    That straight edge is from being used for probably a few thousand scratch off lottery tickets. (??maybe-!!) The toning is not that so unusual.

Must have lost (a lot)!and spent the nickel. :D

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome🤠

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @FiveaDime

• Options

Thank you all for responding! 😊another day, another coin I learned about, you all are so awesome, lol it feels like I have this Mobile, Super Reference and numismatic Identification, all at the touch of a button lol😉. I am truly impressed, and appreciative @CollectorsUniverse community. Thank you ...

~Babygirl

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

A little late to the party but I agree that is not a Mint made error, the edge does not show any signs of metal flow, it was cut or ground away after the strike.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file