Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hayek's Nobel Medal sold a few days ago!

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 8:05PM

Friedrich August von Hayek's Nobel Prize Medal sold for £1,155,000 against a pre-sale estimate of £400,000–600,000. His Presidential Medal of Freedom sold for £112,500.

I wonder why the Nobel Prize sold for 10 times more.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 8:01PM

Didn't he help put together Milton Friedman's college reading list? ;)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

I highly recommend his book "The Road To Serfdom". Great read.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Smudge - I agree, it is an exceptional book and has stood the test of time.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Friedrich August von Hayek's Nobel Prize Medal sold for £1,155,000 against a pre-sale estimate of £400,000–600,000. His Presidential Medal of Freedom sold for £112,500.

Because it is a higher honor and an international honor in an international auction.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always find it to be amazing that such things are sold....not kept in a family or museum....Cheers, RickO

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

Because it is a higher honor and an international honor in an international auction.

The estimate for the Presidential medal was just £10,000-15,000. The relative prices are interesting too. The Nobel sold for 3x the low estimate while the Presidential sold for 11x the low estimate. Of course, it's easier to get higher multiples at lower levels.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I always find it to be amazing that such things are sold....not kept in a family or museum....Cheers, RickO

About 2.04 million reasons. Still I would have never sold it.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s all about the $$. Hopefully, the auction winner(s) properly donates or displays it in a museum with the information about the recipient.

• Options

@ricko said:

If the buyer displays it in a museum then the family gets money and society gets it in a museum.

The amount of money being discussed can be “life-changing” for many families but not many buyers which adds a dimension to the decision.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file