Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Where do you grade this Standing Liberty Quarter?

RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pay no attention to the grade written on the 2 X 2, I wonder where you would grade it.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
Louis Armstrong

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always hard to tell from a picture. The obverse looks nice, but the reverse looks cleaned or even polished. Although I never trust the lighting on these things

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

What jmlanzaf said

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to grade from photos
    on the plus side I see the toes on the right foot and the knee looks rounded
    I would like to see more detail on the shield
    The other issue is that Standing Liberty quarters some times are weakly struck
    Makes grading an issue.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks dipped to me.

MS 63 seems right.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

High AU.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who cares!
    The ONLY thing that matters is do YOU like the quarter?
    That and that alone is most important!!!!!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^^^^^^ until the asking price.............

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS. Going out on a limb here, looks really nice, 66.

• Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cleaned---AU53-58

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

The lack of detail on the eagles belly suggests AU ish to me. Pics are really not conducive to grading it.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Altered surfaces.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 7:46PM

I can't grade through a 2x2. The plastic completely distorts the luster. Almost everything looks cleaned or polished that way. BU details, no FH.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with the issue of trying to grade coins in a 2x2 holder; that said, the obverse looks 63, the reverse looks AU.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reverse looks off to me. Clearly wear and not just a weak strike, but it’s been messed with. I grade it AU details.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 9:56PM

Strike: Missing details on shield and eagle, well struck in other areas.
    Condition: Relatively mark free.
    Wear: None, wear usually appears throughout a coin's surfaces, IMO.
    Luster: Cleaned
    Toning: Where was this coin stored where it did not tone even a little over the 94 years?
    I would have zero interest in this coin if I knew better struck examples were available and with original toning.

Leo

A web search did yield better struck examples.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weak strike, but most do... I like to at least see full rivets in the shield. I think it's MS details, but with the spots on the obverse, I'm inclined to agree that someone altered the surfaces...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

64, but please no gtg through holders.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I lean towards AU58 and think the number on the flip is a little generous. it looks nice but I think I see rub and not strike weakness.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

As several have noted... grading through a 2x2 is tough..add to that grading a picture of a coin in a 2x2 and it really becomes guesswork...The best I will offer is that it is likely AU....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks whizzed.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not adding much new to what's already been said, but something about the surfaces looks off--dipped or cleaned--and through the holder, it's hard to tell if the coin has a rub or a weak strike. I could see it anywhere from AU to low uncirculated by detail, but certainly based on these pictures, I don't think the coin is quite right and doubt it would straight grade.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Serious question @Rollerman

Since the difference between an AU and MS is very slight and we all know that some AU's are graded commercially in the low MS range, how can we tell AU/MS and FH/not FH when there is a lighting glare on the high parts of the coin - especially the head. Reading this thread so far, most of the members have correct opinions based on the image.

What I will add is the leg looks pretty good and the weakness on the shield leads me to believe the head is falt under the glare. I'll guess a TPGS will give it a 63 or 64 depending on its originality as it has very few visible contact marks.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2019 1:43PM

OP's question: "Where do you grade this Standing Liberty Quarter?"

I examine and grade coins at my office desk using an 18% gray background and daylight color balanced illumination. I can alter the lighting ratio to emphasize low relief details. Fluorescent (mercury), sodium and other distorted spectrum lights are never used. I also have available long and short wave UV (with protective goggles) to check for fluorescence of certain surface contamination.

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to all who offered an opinion. I'm in the "it's been dipped" camp, but I still like it, especially for the $55 investment I have in it. Maybe they were just being nice, but the coin club guys all seemed to like it, and they of course had it in hand. The best grader in the club saw this photo and also saw the coin in hand. From the photo he thought it had been cleaned, after seeing it in person the other night he said it was only dipped, which was my thought as well. I'm not quite on board about the photo (with a cell phone by the way) with the coin in a 2 X 2 being a big problem for me. I think that grading photographed coins in TPG's holders, which are invariably scratched, is harder myself...but it's a point well taken! Oh, and no way was this coin a FH, which all of you indicated as well.
    Best wishes to all,
    Pete

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2019 8:30PM

@RogerB said:

I examine and grade coins at my office desk using an 18% gray background and daylight color balanced illumination. I can alter the lighting ratio to emphasize low relief details. Fluorescent (mercury), sodium and other distorted spectrum lights are never used. I also have available long and short wave UV (with protective goggles) to check for fluorescence of certain surface contamination.

I say to each his own...but a word to anyone interested in actually seeing the surface of their coin without the glare: The technicians at the Treasury Department Mint Laboratory used fluorescent light and a stereo microscope to examine coins. I suspect that includes the coinage dies although I have not seen them examine a die in person. I assume this applies to dies to because only a fluorescent light was at the microscope station.

Disclaimer: I have been told years ago that no such U.S Mint Laboratory exists in Washington and the twenty-plus year employee had never heard of such a place. I feel like I'm living in the "Brigadoon" movie.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

Neat Roger!

I got a Bausch & Lomb 10X and my right eyeball.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeap, that coin is certainly whizzed. Very easy to see in the pictures.

@TomB said:
    Altered surfaces.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

My best guess is AU details, cleaned.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE: "I got a Bausch & Lomb 10X and my right eyeball."

Ahh...don't those implants itch ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file