Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Streets and saloons of Carson, Nevada

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Work at the western mints was not all "work." There was time for play - but at the risk of the government job.

"James Crawford, Esq.
Superintendent
U.S. Mint
Carson, Nevada

March 28, 1878

Sir:
I have received a communication from a person in your city which states in substance, that the Assayer of your mint is in the habit of exhibiting himself in the streets and saloons in an intoxicated condition.

If this be true in any degree, a change in that office will be necessary. Please report the facts without delay, and if they are as stated, it will be necessary for you to recommend a well qualified person for the position.
Very respectfully,
H. R. Linderman"

[RG104 E-235 vol 015, p.123.]

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Demon rum strikes again!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, what happened? Did he get fired? We need the rest of the story.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

good ole red eye whiskey

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assayer needs to be trusted so his being drunk in public would be a problem.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can personally tell you nothing has changed. You can still witness such events of "upstanding" individuals on the main street of Carson nightly (Carson Street).

bob :):)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw that there is an auction of some cool western saloon and brothel tokens today:

https://www.icollector.com/2019-WESTS-Token-Auction_a38239

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope the assayer didn't lose his marriage too.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's possible that some may confuse the Hollywood old west with the real old western mining towns, there are some similarities but the old west as portrayed in film is often quite different than the real old west.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 9:59AM

I've read records of dismissing employees for intoxication - the below letter seems to imply while at work though.

For the Carson Assayer - wonder what type of due process they got back then, or if it was simply against Mint employment to be drunk in public.

NARA Entry 1, Box 109 of Record Group 104

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options

Yep. Showing up for work drunk was grounds for dismissal for workmen. For an officer any public intoxication could cost him his job.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Grandfather was an ironworker who worked the high iron on bridges and skyscrapers. He was also a functioning alcoholic. My Dad said that he would get off work and drink hard until 8 P.M., and then stop and be sober by morning. Was he unfit for the job?

Never missed a days work because of his drinking, and never had an accident other than the time some guy three stories above him dropped a wrench that hit him on his hardhat and then proceeded to break his collarbone. Being the Foreman on the job he climbed up the three stories and fired the guy before going to the hospital.

As a Foreman he would never tolerate somebody who showed up in the morning hung over. He knew the effects of alcohol.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gives a whole new meaning to "See See" :smiley:

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2019 12:44PM

At the First US Mint at Philadelphia, rum showed up on many of the expense reports. On June 5, 1793 punch engraver Jacob Bay was "drunk - to be fined".

In this 1795 expense report for the Coining Department, three barrels of rum were purchased, NARA RG 104, folder 45 Daily Expenses:

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well,the drinking water was pretty risky in those days!

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 11:11PM

Just had to post these photos I took, given the subject. These are photos of the recreated Assay Office in Carson City as contained in the Nevada State Museum located in Carson City, Nevada. (Note at least there is no empty bottle of whiskey on the table. :D )

Question though, whether the evident working conditions might drive a man to drink. :|

The museum is actually housed in the original old mint building where all the Carson City coins were made.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who was the Assayer of the Carson City Mint in 1878, the year of the letter?

Frank D. Hetrich was the Assayer until he resigned in August of 1878. Later Annie Martin was the assayer the letter refers to a man.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if they had the tradition of a 'liquid lunch' in those days..... :D Afternoon production would certainly have been affected..... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting story, thanks for posting.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Who was the Assayer of the Carson City Mint in 1878, the year of the letter?

Frank D. Hetrich was the Assayer until he resigned in August of 1878. Later Annie Martin was the assayer the letter refers to a man.

The letter was dated March 1878, I wonder if this had to do with the resignation 6 months later?

• Options

The jumble shown in the 2nd photo is a long way from anything authentic -- or is it just a pile awaiting the curator?

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    My Grandfather was an ironworker who worked the high iron on bridges and skyscrapers. He was also a functioning alcoholic. My Dad said that he would get off work and drink hard until 8 P.M., and then stop and be sober by morning. Was he unfit for the job?

Never missed a days work because of his drinking, and never had an accident other than the time some guy three stories above him dropped a wrench that hit him on his hardhat and then proceeded to break his collarbone. Being the Foreman on the job he climbed up the three stories and fired the guy before going to the hospital.

As a Foreman he would never tolerate somebody who showed up in the morning hung over. He knew the effects of alcohol.

Your grandfather sounds like he was a very hard worker-and also a bit of an outlier. Many alcoholics would not have the forethought or ability to stop at 8pm.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

A good friend's mother was a high-functioning alcoholic. She was also a nurse. She'd come home from work, drink to excess, then get up the next morning and do it all over again.

thefinn
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2019 12:52AM

@RogerB said:
    The jumble shown in the 2nd photo is a long way from anything authentic -- or is it just a pile awaiting the curator?

That is the completed display. It is part of a recreated Nevada Ghost Town exhibit. The museum also has an underground mining shaft that merits exploring.

• Options

Oh, OK. Now I understand the "contrived mess." Thanks for the clarification.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

We had a worker last year who would head across the street on his lunch break as he was getting "thirsty"; and ended up getting on the manager radar screen until he got fired. It was too bad as he had a toddler and wife to support. But I heard there was broad tolerance for alcohol consumption into the 1900s with judges even drinking on the bench.

Reno and Las Vegas were tiny population wise back in the 1800s from what I have seen.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting thread.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    We had a worker last year who would head across the street on his lunch break as he was getting "thirsty"; and ended up getting on the manager radar screen until he got fired. It was too bad as he had a toddler and wife to support. But I heard there was broad tolerance for alcohol consumption into the 1900s with judges even drinking on the bench.

Reno and Las Vegas were tiny population wise back in the 1800s from what I have seen.

Las Vegas was really tiny. One rancher and his wife. Las Vegas didn't exist as a town until after 1900.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

In the construction industry I met lots of guys who could not have a sip because they had lost control and had to quit. Can't blame a guy for having a few after busting his hump in the sun for 8 hrs. It's a bad sign when you get home and take a 6 pack out of the fridge and set it on the sofa beside you.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is Linderman's reply to the individual who "Blew the whistle" on the assayer. What is that name - Ino K. Noble?

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options

Jno = John or Johannes

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file