Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Finding Treasure beyond the Treasure Coin

northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 23, 2019 4:00AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was in the process of trying to locate and picture an Atocha Coin in response to a thread here on the subject of coins with a sentimental value. In addition to locating one of the Atocha Coins I came across a treasure of a different kind.

It consisted of a completely lost and forgotten signing by Kim Fisher to my two youngest children in a booklet containing a photo of him and his dad Mel Fisher. Below pictured are the two children with Kim Fisher on the occasion of my acquisition of the initial Atocha Coin, a Silver 8 REALE on my birthday October 15, 1994 - some 25 years ago!

Included in the picture below is the other Atocha Coin, a 2 REALE. Both coins were salvaged from the Spanish galleon Nuestra Señora de Atocha which was found by Mel Fisher and his crew in 1985 off the Florida Keys where it had sunk in1622.

Comments

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah man.

Memories.

I always wanted to be Mel Fisher when I grew up.

Still look for treasure everyday, but in the form of coins, cards, etc...

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2019 12:35AM

@yspsales said:
    Ah man.

Memories.

I always wanted to be Mel Fisher when I grew up.

Still look for treasure everyday, but in the form of coins, cards, etc...

Mel was definitely the iconic treasure hunter.

Of interest was reading about "The Spanish Connection." His search for the Atocha began by studying historic records in Seville Spain. Then after securing the treasure he gifted to Seville the best of the 5 bronze cannons found from the sunken ship.

In recent years I had the opportunity to visit Seville not realizing that the Atocha cannon was there on public display - a fact that I just learned from the lost and forgotten "treasure" that I discovered this week after 25 years had passed since its signing.

The cannon:

Note, the cannon, while still undersea, is pictured on the same page as the photo of Mel Fisher with his son Kim who on that page signed the page to my two children.

My photos from Seville Spain:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

We often forget, some of our greatest treasures are memories and memento's stored away....Always a good feeling when we 'rediscover' special items from our past. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file